• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Regarding Grade Guarantee

16 posts in this topic

Hi!

I have a J. Scott Campbell comic with Stan Lee's signature on it but I also want to get Mr. Campbell's signature on it too (yeah I know lol, I need to get his signature too).  It currently has a CGC Signature Series Yellow Label 9.8 (see photo).  I did find that I can do that as long as I let someone at CGC booth know at a convention and they will remove the label so that Mr. Campbell can sign it.  That led me to a curious question about grading guarantee if there are any.

If somehow the magazine gets bent etc., CGC would change the grade that it has, correct?  If that's the case, what if through time, the comic somehow gets damaged through time say 100 years the colors fade?  Does it have to be resent to get regraded?

20210121_170442.jpg

You can probably contact Cgc directly and they can direct you to the specific legal language you’re looking for.

10 hours ago, Absolution said:

Hi!

I have a J. Scott Campbell comic with Stan Lee's signature on it but I also want to get Mr. Campbell's signature on it too (yeah I know lol, I need to get his signature too).  It currently has a CGC Signature Series Yellow Label 9.8 (see photo).  I did find that I can do that as long as I let someone at CGC booth know at a convention and they will remove the label so that Mr. Campbell can sign it.  That led me to a curious question about grading guarantee if there are any.

If somehow the magazine gets bent etc., CGC would change the grade that it has, correct?  If that's the case, what if through time, the comic somehow gets damaged through time say 100 years the colors fade?  Does it have to be resent to get regraded?

1. The comic is graded after it is signed, so the graders will not know that it was a 9.8 previously.
  2. Whatever happens in the slab, stays in the slab, unless the owner has it resubmitted.

You can leave your slabbed comic in the sunlight for a couple years and the quality of the book inside will change but the outside grade will not. 

So in 40-50 years, we could have slabs where the books inside are definitely not true 80's. These cases, especially the older ones, are not air tight. Granted they provide a lot of protection, and who knows, maybe a comic will really stand the test of time inside a slab. Truth is, we won't know until that day comes. And neither will CGC. 

1 hour ago, Angel of Death said:
  1. The comic is graded after it is signed, so the graders will not know that it was a 9.8 previously.
  2. Whatever happens in the slab, stays in the slab, unless the owner has it resubmitted.

I've read other posts that say the same thing (about the graders "not knowing" the previous grade) but I have never seen it in writing is this stated somewhere? 

34 minutes ago, thesink said:

I've read other posts that say the same thing (about the graders "not knowing" the previous grade) but I have never seen it in writing is this stated somewhere? 

Every book is regraded when it's cracked out of a slab unless it's submitted as a re-holder and the comic was not damaged in the prior case.

3 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Every book is regraded when it's cracked out of a slab unless it's submitted as a re-holder and the comic was not damaged in the prior case.

I understand that it's regraded, but that's not what I asked. How do you know the current graders do not know what the previous grade was? 

3 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

You can leave your slabbed comic in the sunlight for a couple years and the quality of the book inside will change but the outside grade will not. 

So in 40-50 years, we could have slabs where the books inside are definitely not true 80's. These cases, especially the older ones, are not air tight. Granted they provide a lot of protection, and who knows, maybe a comic will really stand the test of time inside a slab. Truth is, we won't know until that day comes. And neither will CGC. 

If the last 20 years is any indication, there shouldn't be much of a change in the grade as long as normal storage procedures are followed...

39 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

If the last 20 years is any indication, there shouldn't be much of a change in the grade as long as normal storage procedures are followed...

True, 20 year old slabs seem to hold up fine. Which bodes well for them 40 or 60 or 100 years from now. 

Although whose to say at year 65, a secret Banksy-esque hidden device in all slabs slices the book in half!!!! MUAHAHAAH 

Edited by comicginger1789