• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.6 OW/W or 9.6 W?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Is it important to you that a book has white pages?

Would a 9.6 OW/W actually be the better looking book because it may have less visible defects?

Im trying to decide if it's worth paying $50 more just to have white pages on a book I really want.

Thanks

To some people, this seems to be quite important. Would I like a book to have white pages? Sure. However, I don't foresee myself taking it out of the slab, so what difference does it make to me?

I'm OK with white, off-white to white, or off-white. I try to stay away from books in cream or lower, although I definitely have some cream to off-white books in my collection. This certainly doesn't keep me up at nights.

And there are many buyers that are strictly White page collectors out there.  They enjoy the challenge of finding certain issues in specific CGC grades with White pages.  I started a "White Page Appreciation" thread in the silver age forum after I completed my ASM 1-25 White page run that took me many years to complete :grin:

All grades aren’t created equal.  You can very easily find CROW, OW and OWW page copies of books that look a lot nicer than ones designated to have pristine W pages.  Some collectors simply enjoy having a book and a piece of history, while others can be a bit more discerning about what they buy.  For those that care (or even obsess) about eye appeal, we all have different standards about what makes a book visually appealing when differentiating between copies that have the same grade.  Does it check these boxes?...having a straight wrap, being well centered, having clean edges with no chipping, having sharp corners...and yes does it have white pages...the list goes on and on.  What matters is what YOU like and what defects or detractions YOU consider “acceptable” as a buyer when deciding to pull the trigger on a purchase.  

Because you can’t see the interior pages while encapsulated, a lot of people think caring about the page quality is just an OCD thing. For many it is, especially when keeping things consistent within their collections. For me, it speaks to the overall quality of the book.  I feel like white page copies have been preserved the best, and that’s what I want...I want the highest quality books I can find in ALL aspects including BOTH external eye appeal and interior page quality. Personally it helps me rationalize paying these exorbitant prices (thumbsu

Edited by DST

As a fan of white paged comics, I never understood those who think caring about the page quality is an OCD thing.  After all, I collect comic books, and not comic book covers.  And if the interiors didn't matter a whole lot, then the first appearance keys of major characters wouldn't command such huge premiums.  

It's what's inside the slab that counts, not just what you can see from looking through the plastic.  :wink:

On 1/22/2021 at 6:00 PM, Turnando said:

I'd get the better copy unless $50 is a lot to you.  If it is a book that you really love then you are probably always going to be eyeballing better copies, even after you buy this one.

But what is "better"? For some better means white pages over OW/W. For some better means paying less. For some better mean a 9.0. For some better means a whole host of other subjective variables.

On 1/24/2021 at 7:42 AM, namisgr said:

It's what's inside the slab that counts, not just what you can see from looking through the plastic.

True but just because it says white pages on the label that doesn't mean they're still white and you may not be able to tell without cracking it out. And let's not even get into page quality inconsistencies. There have been tons of threads here over the years (as you probably can remember) about how the assigned page quality can vary during the slabbing process

Edited by Jeffro.

33 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

True but just because it says white pages on the label that doesn't mean they're still white and you may not be able to tell without cracking it out. And let's not even get into page quality inconsistencies. There have been tons of threads here over the years (as you probably can remember) about how the variation of assigned page quality during the slabbing process

Also true, but the page quality assignment in my experience is less variable than the numerical grading, quite a bit less for Silver and Bronze Age books with which I have the most familiarity.  And neither assignment is still necessarily accurate after a book's been in a slab for 10 or more years, or shipped through the mails and driven to and from conventions dozens of times.

Edited by namisgr

On 1/22/2021 at 8:08 PM, William-James88 said:

If it's a book you really love and you can already afford 9.6, then just go for 9 8 instead.

I wish I could afford 9.8s but I'm a 9.6er for life unless I hit the loot.

It was Batman 423 first print. I ended up paying the extra to get WP. I do have some OW/W in my collection but they're books I already owned and had graded.

16 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

what is "better"? For some better means white pages over OW/W. For some better means paying less.

'Better' means 'higher quality' in the context of a conversation about page paper color. Are you 12 years old?