• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics as an investment for retirement
2 2

166 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i agree with Dave Ramsay that a 15% yearly contribution to a 401K and a paid off mortgage are the single most important investments one can make ,,,,

The mortgage appears to be taking some time but I’ll get there eventually.

5 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

if you look at it from Jan-Feb until now it is not nearly up as much.  Plus, you would had to have picked the absolute bottom to have gotten in to make that return.

I get it.  It's the old Buffett adage- 'Time in the market beats timing the market', but you can't scoff at a 60% profit over the course of 10 months.  Did any key books go up 60% in that time? (and I don't consider Modern variant drivel a key book). 

35 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I think it was closer to 30%

I guess the 15% was during a week long stretch in March, but there had been other drops. But things started to rebound in April (not sure why as it was pretty horrendous in April covid-wise)

33 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I get it.  It's the old Buffett adage- 'Time in the market beats timing the market', but you can't scoff at a 60% profit over the course of 10 months.  Did any key books go up 60% in that time? (and I don't consider Modern variant drivel a key book). 

certain star wars books have gone up 2000-4000% in like 3 weeks!

2 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

capital gains on my collection was 10%. It was held for almost fifty years. I did get to deduct costs for storage. The market produced far more income for me in the 2016-2019 period, until the covid thing hit. 

If you only paid 10% capital gains tax on your collection, I'm fairly sure you or your tax guy  didn't properly file them. 

24 minutes ago, shadroch said:

If you only paid 10% capital gains tax on your collection, I'm fairly sure you or your tax guy  didn't properly file them. 

Agree.

From Investopedia:

KEY TAKEAWAYS

Collectibles are considered alternative investments by the IRS and include things like art, stamps & coins, cards & comics, rare items, antiques, and so on.

If collectibles are sold at a gain, you will be subject to a long-term capital gains tax rate of 28%, if disposed of after more than one year of ownership.

You need to know your cost basis to calculate your taxable gain, and that means the price paid plus any costs, fees, and commissions involved with that purchase.

My problem is that I do most of my “investing” out of the dollar boxes.  Some of my latest acquisitions are below.  I think that they are great buys for a dollar.  Many of them are probably solid $3 books.  Sadly, there is no easy way to sell them for that without a lot of work.  So I’ve really just bought myself a low-wage job in the future.  

On the plus side, I do envision myself setting up at some small local conventions in 10 years or so, after I retire and the kids go off to college.  The downside to this plan is that my family history suggests that there are decent odds that I’ll keel over by that time, and my wife will be stuck dealing with 1000s of $3 books.  She knows to lean on @Randall Dowlingfor help, who will also probably not be thrilled to deal with them.  Sorry buddy, hoarders gotta hoard.

9382520D-E1DB-4DB6-9510-07241F8F596D.jpeg

Edited by Hamlet

1 hour ago, Hamlet said:

My problem is that I do most of my “investing” out of the dollar boxes.  Some of my latest acquisitions are below.  I think that they are great buys for a dollar.  Many of them are probably solid $3 books.  Sadly, there is no easy way to sell them for that without a lot of work.  So I’ve really just bought myself a low-wage job in the future.  

On the plus side, I do envision myself setting up at some small local conventions in 10 years or so, after I retire and the kids go off to college.  The downside to this plan is that my family history suggests that there are decent odds that I’ll keel over by that time, and my wife will be stuck dealing with 1000s of $3 books.  She knows to lean on @Randall Dowlingfor help, who will also probably not be thrilled to deal with them.  Sorry buddy, hoarders gotta hoard.

9382520D-E1DB-4DB6-9510-07241F8F596D.jpeg

Put together groups of ten and auction them on MCS. 

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Put together groups of ten and auction them on MCS. 

Between shipping costs and the $12 minimum fee, it gets marginal pretty quickly. 

They really need to be $5 books for it to be worth doing. 😀

3 hours ago, Hamlet said:

Between shipping costs and the $12 minimum fee, it gets marginal pretty quickly. 

They really need to be $5 books for it to be worth doing. 😀

Make it up with volume. At a typical show, I 'd wager you could find enough books to make ten lots and come close to doubling your investments.

I've been very  surprised what some stuff  sells for.  Churn and Burn. That's what the Donut Empire was built on.

Edited by shadroch

4 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Make it up with volume. At a typical show, I 'd wager you could find enough books to make ten lots and come close to doubling your investments.

I've been very  surprised what some stuff  sells for.  Churn and Burn. That's what the Donut Empire was built on.

Honestly, that would be a really fun challenge for a show.  Buy 100 dollar books to make 10 lots at MCS, ship them to them and see what you can net after shipping and fees.  

At a big show you could go with a few people and make it a competition. It wouldn’t have to be exclusively dollar boxes.  You could also do a variation where you all have $500 to spend.  

5 hours ago, Hamlet said:

...my wife will be stuck dealing with 1000s of $3 books.  She knows to lean on @Randall Dowlingfor help, who will also probably not be thrilled to deal with them.  Sorry buddy, hoarders gotta hoard.

I got you covered, pal.  However, I think there's a better chance our deal will go the other way.  (thumbsu

I inquired about the cap gains. You are right that it indeed is 28 percent and that indeed is what we paid. We did have costs and they were factored in . The AF15 was a substantial book and it had costs for consignment at 8.75. We did not have sales tax since it's a NH sale but look at what goes to govt or handlers, but once you hit those kinds of numbers doing ten dollar sales, I have a tendency to  think that it has to be an act of love driving it, not profit. I kept all the JIM /Thor run just because I love it so. Every one bought on the newsstand. . It just seems like crazy making work to root through dollar boxes given the return.  The accountant around here says to stick to Mastercard. 

47 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

I inquired about the cap gains. You are right that it indeed is 28 percent and that indeed is what we paid. We did have costs and they were factored in . The AF15 was a substantial book and it had costs for consignment at 8.75. We did not have sales tax since it's a NH sale but look at what goes to govt or handlers, but once you hit those kinds of numbers doing ten dollar sales, I have a tendency to  think that it has to be an act of love driving it, not profit. I kept all the JIM /Thor run just because I love it so. Every one bought on the newsstand. . It just seems like crazy making work to root through dollar boxes given the return.  The accountant around here says to stick to Mastercard. 

It's not a job, it's a hobby and an adventure.