• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars: High Republic & Adventures
3 3

187 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Catwomancomics said:

Let the money grab begin.

Next version: only the red and yellow glows. 

Next next version: 50/50 limited split with one only red and the other only yellow. You better get online early to make sure you get both or else You. Missed. Out. 

Different art: sure, I guess. 

Same cover just darker: suckas. 

5 hours ago, manetteska said:

Next version: only the red and yellow glows. 

Next next version: 50/50 limited split with one only red and the other only yellow. You better get online early to make sure you get both or else You. Missed. Out. 

Different art: sure, I guess. 

Same cover just darker: suckas. 

When I saw this headline I thought it meant comics at first...

20210218_021525.jpg

20 hours ago, Catwomancomics said:

I have no problem with creators doing this. They do not get paid a ton to begin with, and their career peaks are rather short for the most part, so they need to cash in while they can. I hope every decent artist does this and sells out every issue.

Now, when the publishers do it with hack jobs on ratio variants or use internal page artwork as the variant covers to cut corners, I am not a fan of that.

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, kimik said:

I have no problem with creators doing this. They do not get paid a ton to begin with, and their career peaks are rather short for the most part, so they need to cash in while they can. I hope every decent artist does this and sells out every issue.

Now, when the publishers do it with hack jobs on ratio variants or use internal page artwork as the variant covers to cut corners, I am not a fan of that.

While I technicalmly don't have a problem with it, doing stuff like extra prints is a blatant cash grab and it dilutes his brand. I would and will never buy any of his stuff because of shenanigans like this. It also indirectly dilutes that SW brand, but I suspect all Marvel sees is $$.

1 hour ago, kimik said:
21 hours ago, Catwomancomics said:

Can't disagree with that; an artist should get paid for his/her work, especially when most of these comics sell only due to the cover art.

However, in this case, the artist already created a cover, then keeps slightly tweaking it and slapping on a higher ratio/price tag (whether that is the artist's choice or the publisher, it's probably on a case-by-case basis).

If you are making art people like and are paying for it, then make more art. Don't add a filter and double the price.

How is "the same thing but darker" different than a Publisher using an internal page? -- both are previous pieces being re-used.

(And, specific to this artist, his penchant for re-using a swipe over and over again for these "special" variants.)

But, all to him, and to the buyers who got in early and are reaping the rewards.

26 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Can't disagree with that; an artist should get paid for his/her work, especially when most of these comics sell only due to the cover art.

However, in this case, the artist already created a cover, then keeps slightly tweaking it and slapping on a higher ratio/price tag (whether that is the artist's choice or the publisher, it's probably on a case-by-case basis).

If you are making art people like and are paying for it, then make more art. Don't add a filter and double the price.

How is "the same thing but darker" different than a Publisher using an internal page? -- both are previous pieces being re-used.

(And, specific to this artist, his penchant for re-using a swipe over and over again for these "special" variants.)

But, all to him, and to the buyers who got in early and are reaping the rewards.

The difference in my view is that the artist captures the $$$ from a different color scheme, while the publisher does not have to pay them for variant covers using already published pages/old covers/pieces of panels (e.g. that "McFarlane" Venom variant Marvel did from a couple years back that was just the character from a previously published panel). 

FWIW, I am not chasing them, and will not for the simple reason that the artist exclusives do not maintain value well long term. I would rather do a bulk pre-order at a discount to get the ratio variants on books with 1st apps or covers that I think will age well - they tend to hold up better.

Edited by kimik

17 minutes ago, Jitstark said:

My only gripe with artists doing multiple covers with slight variations is that they should release them all at once so people can pick which to buy from day one. I also realise that may have absolutely no say in that.

This one looks like he sold out faster than expected on the original set, and then decided to do a new one after the fact.

10 hours ago, pkveronese said:

Still hitting no walmart variants at the 3 I've hit so far. You guys have any success?

I saw the same guy at all 3 Walmarts this morning in the aisle lol, was that one of you?

No luck yet at all 3 in flint.