• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Tales 99 Whitman Variant Value

11 posts in this topic

Hi, so I got this comic as part of a lot I recently bought, but I noticed the barcode (there is none) and the price were different from the standard issue. I checked on Mycomicshop, and it said it was a Whitman variant, but it doesn’t list the value... any ideas?

D6109DCA-178A-4931-B01E-CFB23F535F1D.jpeg

Just now, Carnage999 said:

But they don't affect the price negatively, do they?

For many that have collected since the 70s, they do.  They are considered reprints.  Whitmans exclusively appeared in 3 packs and were sold at department stores and Toys R Us (and similar venues) months or even years after the originals were printed for and sold at the newsstand.  Throughout the 70s and 80s (and much of the 90s and 00s), they were considered nearly worthless as reprints.

Because of this, they were quarter box fodder for decades until very recently, some noticed that they were difficult to find in high grade.  And thus began the redefining of the Whitman reprints to Whitman "variants".  It's a highly disputed differentiation.  

I personally would never want one in my collection.  2c

1 hour ago, Carnage999 said:

But they don't affect the price negatively, do they?

I suppose there are some fringe collectors who can't get over the fact that they were once incorrectly considered reprints, but most collectors recognize that these are a very small subset of the overall copies printed.  If there are 400,000 copies of one type, and 5,000 of another, I think it's a no-brainer which has better potential.

7 hours ago, Carnage999 said:

Hi, so I got this comic as part of a lot I recently bought, but I noticed the barcode (there is none) and the price were different from the standard issue. I checked on Mycomicshop, and it said it was a Whitman variant, but it doesn’t list the value... any ideas?

D6109DCA-178A-4931-B01E-CFB23F535F1D.jpeg

Not a reprint, it's a first printing Whitman variant.   Generally there is currently little to no price differential vs the regular UPC issues. 

6 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

They are considered reprints.

By insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

6 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

It's a highly disputed differentiation.

lol You living in a tiny, false past doesn't make it "highly disputed" by any stretch.

And they aren't Whitmans. It's easy to tell because they're not marked as such anywhere and Whitman knew how to mark their products.

15 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

By insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

lol You living in a tiny, false past doesn't make it "highly disputed" by any stretch.

And they aren't Whitmans. It's easy to tell because they're not marked as such anywhere and Whitman knew how to mark their products.

It's hard for me to argue with you because I like the way you can deliver a smack down.  Even when it's me!  :foryou:

20 hours ago, Warlord said:

Not a reprint, it's a first printing Whitman variant.   Generally there is currently little to no price differential vs the regular UPC issues. 

We're still looking for documentation that anyone other than Whitman ordered and distributed such comics.  Spoiler --  none has been found.  Jim Shooter's statement that these comics were made for Whitman and the lack of any evidence to the contrary works for me.   Ordered by Western, distributed by Western, packaged and sold in Whitman labeled bags, confirmed by Jim Shooter as a program for Western.   You'll hear different opinions, but look for any facts or documentation to back up those opinions so that you're not misled.  I won't repeat all the debate, but there's lots of information shared in this thread

274414982_marvel3packwhitmanConan80Defenders53MarvelTales85-f.thumb.jpg.7874a8ad025617fe5e50d9073016f46e.jpg