• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiant Black

157 posts in this topic

Creating a thread for this book before it launches next month, and to discuss story instead of market trends. Looks like the book cracked 70,000 sales according to the article below and the writer’s newsletter. So, there appears to be some interest err...hype err...both for it, so figured why not. 

BC keeps hyping the shared superhero universe idea at Image, as you’ll see in the article, but I have no idea how this would work nowadays. Either way, food for thought.

Also, there looks to be virgin variants for issue #1 limited to 50 and 100 copies respectively available through the newsletter. Not sure if there are any still available.  

Radiant Black #1 by Kyle Higgins and Marcelo Costa Tops 70,000 Orders

Newsletter

I never read his Power Rangers or Ultraman, but thought COWL was pretty cool. Thoughts?

Edited by awakeintheashes

I think this series is going to be fire. The previews of it and the endorsements are all pretty solid. It does have the downfall of it being not a sleeper hit, but at 70,000 copies, there's going to be a lot of people buying in and pumping this up for their own gain. There's a handful of other exclusive variants besides the ones in that newsletter, but I think the 50/100 limiteds are going to be ones to get. People are already trying to sell them for $1500. (Which is nuts.)

12 minutes ago, Tnexus said:

I think this series is going to be fire. The previews of it and the endorsements are all pretty solid. It does have the downfall of it being not a sleeper hit, but at 70,000 copies, there's going to be a lot of people buying in and pumping this up for their own gain. There's a handful of other exclusive variants besides the ones in that newsletter, but I think the 50/100 limiteds are going to be ones to get. People are already trying to sell them for $1500. (Which is nuts.)

Yeah, that’s a huge number. It looks cool, but not sure if 70,000 sales cool. Who knows.

When did Image start doing store and ratio variants again? I’ve seen a lot of newer image books getting the store exclusive treatment and this one also has a 1:10, 1:25, and a 1:50  

15 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

Yeah, that’s a huge number. It looks cool, but not sure if 70,000 sales cool. Who knows.

When did Image start doing store and ratio variants again? I’ve seen a lot of newer image books getting the store exclusive treatment and this one also has a 1:10, 1:25, and a 1:50  

I'm going in on this book.  I'm not going to lie, I still suffer from Image abandonment. lol  I'm up to 5 copies of 1:50 and maybe 6 of the 1:25.  

4 minutes ago, carter3175 said:

I'm going in on this book.  I'm not going to lie, I still suffer from Image abandonment. lol  I'm up to 5 copies of 1:50 and maybe 6 of the 1:25.  

lol hey, if they are doing the shared universe and pull it off, it will satiate the appetite for a lot of nostalgic folks who grew up with the early Image stuff. 

23 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

They've done a couple in the past, but I don't think they're that common. I think Image is banking on this series heavily to complete with Marvel and DC's superhero universes, so they're pulling out all the stops.

3 minutes ago, Tnexus said:

They've done a couple in the past, but I don't think they're that common. I think Image is banking on this series heavily to complete with Marvel and DC's superhero universes, so they're pulling out all the stops.

Seems that way. Is Eric Stephenson still in charge over there? This seems like the antithesis of what his vision for Image was 5-6 years ago. 

On 1/23/2021 at 8:19 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Seems that way. Is Eric Stephenson still in charge over there? This seems like the antithesis of what his vision for Image was 5-6 years ago. 

Stephenson is still Publisher. They started doing them again with Reborn. Probably b/c of the creative team on that and realized that they could be making more money with variants.

13 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Stephenson is still Publisher. They started doing them again with Reborn. Probably b/c of the creative team on that and realized that they could be making more money with variants.

It makes sense, and with Boom stepping up its game, Image will probably rethink some of its previous stances on things like this to compete, if that’s what they want to do. 

Radiant Black sold around 70K copies of its first issue, Crossover has broken the 100k sales mark, and it’s looking like Nocterra will cross 100k with its first issue. Crazy times. 

1 hour ago, Bob Bain said:

For those interested, the limited signed foil edition 100 copy is selling over $300 on eBay in auctions and the 50 copy has been selling over $500.
These are the raw copies. 

Not bad for the $35 and $50 buy-in...I think that’s what it was. Wonder what the CGC SS copies will sell for when they come back. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

8 hours ago, Tnexus said:

The fact that the person is guaranteeing 9.8s is suspect. The listing to slab it never promised a grade.

Agreed.  Although there is the chance he paid extra for the guaranteed 9.8 slabs-which I do believe was an option.
I bought mine with the non 9.8 guaranteed CGC slab, but I think there was a more expensive option for that 9.8. 

Edited by Bob Bain

14 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

It makes sense, and with Boom stepping up its game, Image will probably rethink some of its previous stances on things like this to compete, if that’s what they want to do. 

Radiant Black sold around 70K copies of its first issue, Crossover has broken the 100k sales mark, and it’s looking like Nocterra will cross 100k with its first issue. Crazy times. 

Are these all returnable though?
Also, BRZRKR is reportedly over 600k.

9 hours ago, Bob Bain said:

Agreed.  Although there is the chance he paid extra for the guaranteed 9.8 slabs-which I do believe was an option.
I bought mine with the non 9.8 guaranteed CGC slab, but I think there was a more expensive option for that 9.8. 

Apparently the guy bought half the stock. So 25 copies.