• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does CGC compare grade wise to other grading companies?

5 posts in this topic

I apologize if this has already been asked.  But how do CGC grades compare with CBCS and PGX?  Obviously CGC is the best for return if you want to sell, but I have seen some CBCS books that look pretty good for the grade too. I would imagine most here believe CGC is the most stringent, fair grading company of the three, but has anyone cracked out any of the other companies books and submitted them to CGC to see if the grades came back similar?

On 1/23/2021 at 8:20 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

I apologize if this has already been asked.  But how do CGC grades compare with CBCS and PGX?  Obviously CGC is the best for return if you want to sell, but I have seen some CBCS books that look pretty good for the grade too. I would imagine most here believe CGC is the most stringent, fair grading company of the three, but has anyone cracked out any of the other companies books and submitted them to CGC to see if the grades came back similar?

From what I've heard, CGC is usually half a grade tighter than the other guys...

It comes down to what service you want since CGC doesn't do what other companies may. In terms of grading, CGC is at least as good as CBCS, if not better (though to be dead honest, they are basically on par). In the mid grade range, books graded by either company goes for about the same. But if you are thinking of sending books you are hoping to get a 9.8 back, so much higher grades, to then sell then go for CGC. Just because they've been around longer and its easier for buyers to pay the premium that comes with a 9.8 when it's in a CGC holder.

If you have a comic that is already autographed and you really want it graded, then go with CBCS.

That's pretty much it, no use discussing other grading companies when it comes to comics.