• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM Annual #1 - white back cover vs normal back covee

17 posts in this topic

Hi 

I was hoping someone could tell me what is more desirable.  I have the opportunity to get a really high grade ASM Annual #1.   This I believe is a canadian copy because of the white blank copy. Is this more desirable or less desirable?  Any info is appreciated.   

4 hours ago, Diaolos said:

Hi 

I was hoping someone could tell me what is more desirable.  I have the opportunity to get a really high grade ASM Annual #1.   This I believe is a canadian copy because of the white blank copy. Is this more desirable or less desirable?  Any info is appreciated.   

Much less.

6 hours ago, Diaolos said:

Hi 

The Canadian variant is much scarcer - only 64 on the census vs 1,759 US copies. If this book is really high grade, and perhaps could top the census, it could be worth more to completist collectors than a US equivalent grade. Both are first printings, both are desirable. 

16 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What I meant by that @Diaolos is that, if you are concerned about desirability, then the Canadians often have dirty / stained back covers which the lack of print magnifies. I've owned three or four copies in my time and some had quite presentable front covers but quite ugly back covers - here's an example:

annual1can.thumb.jpg.446bec1a7317e3a2f668b55bb88d0e07.jpg annual1canb.thumb.jpg.acb41112ee2736f0e8574763d22477ae.jpg

You can see that there is a stained central area which the white edging exacerbates (and which your copy appears to have to the front, hence the request for the back cover scan). And of course any dirt or soiling will be magnified on a blank cover. So if the copy you are considering has similar back cover issues, you may want to hold out for either a US copy which disguises it..........

annual1cgcb.thumb.jpg.1d13186e63e0ea8d0e5c9b56574f19d7.jpg

....or a Canadian with a blindingly white back cover (which I have seen and which would carry a premium I think, accordingly).

There are a number of considerations in play here - do you like variants, in which case the Canadian copy will appeal, do you like resale potential in which case it may appeal if it is in the uncommonly type of high grade that could attract those who seek them, or do you just want a nice copy in which case only you can decide what you are happy to buy and for what price.

There is no guide for the price differential that I am aware of, just recent sales figures on eBay and other such tools which indicate what collectors are prepared to pay. Those who appreciate variants may pay more, those who don't will likely want to pay less.

It's a lovely book to own either way, US or Canadian.

Good luck :)

annual1canc.thumb.jpg.c167dda7f11ba001432b1504f47fd640.jpg

annual2cane.thumb.jpg.8da4ff7c3597ed93e3cab35af49eb166.jpg

Nice work there my friend.

A week or two ago, I was checking eBay for a different Canadian variant, JIM Annual 1, and the blank copy was selling at a premium over the more plentiful US copies.  I get the sense that since 80s Canadian price variants like ASM 238 or Thor 337 sell for more, buyers feel justified in paying more for other Canadian variants.

57 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

A week or two ago, I was checking eBay for a different Canadian variant, JIM Annual 1, and the blank copy was selling at a premium over the more plentiful US copies.  I get the sense that since 80s Canadian price variants like ASM 238 or Thor 337 sell for more, buyers feel justified in paying more for other Canadian variants.

I pay way more for Canadian love, because it is way more exciting. Just way more effort goes into it..., even with the wool socks. The talons though..., could use a trimmin',  just sayin'...., 

21 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I pay way more for Canadian love, because it is way more exciting. Just way more effort goes into it..., even with the wool socks. The talons though..., could use a trimmin',  just sayin'...., 

Those aren't socks... it's natural protection from the cold.  Same for the "sweater."

I was told the back covers are that way because Canada would not allow a periodical to advertise items that were not available to people in Canada under the stated terms of the ad.. or something of that nature. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

3 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I was told the back covers are that way because Canada would not allow a periodical to advertise items that were not available to people in Canada under the stated terms of the ad.. or something of that nature. GOD BLESS...

Well, the US Edition seems to say Canadian orders for the army set are welcome in the clip box?

Untitled-ann1+.jpg

8 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Well, the US Edition seems to say Canadian orders for the army set are welcome in the clip box?

Untitled-ann1+.jpg

I don't remember all the details or even who told me. There is definitely a reason. Maybe the company has to have a Canadian presence or to accept Canadian currency. One thing I do know, I've never seen the blanks on anything except maybe a couple years of annuals. Personally, they don't bother me and I value them equally. I would LOVE to have a copy of ASM Annual 1 :cloud9: GOD BLESS....