• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staple disintegration on Slabbed Book
2 2

8 posts in this topic

I received a copy of a book from a friend that had a book graded by CGC back in the early 2000s. At the time it was a 9.0, but it was stored in a safe and unfortunately moisture collected in the safe and completely ate away at the staples until they disintegrated. When it was noticed, the book was then carefully cracked out of the slab to prevent any further damage.

There doesn't seem to be any other effect to the book, not enough moisture to cause water spots, or any other water damage to the naked eye or under a loup. Very slight amount of rust migration around where the staples were is the only thing I could see.

I've been curious about this for a bit, but seeing it was a 9.0 at one time, what are the thoughts on a new grade knowing that the staples are now no longer in the book?

17 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

The Overstreet grading guide says "ANY staple can be used as a replacement on grades up to Fine (6.0).  Vintage staples have to be used on grades from Very Fine (8.0) to Near Mint (9.4).  Mint books (9.6 and over) must be original."

So do you think I should attempt to replace the Staples with vintage staples to avoid a Green label? I have the grading guide as well but am not sure if that would be a good idea.

I'd find some age-appropriate staples from a donor book, visually similar to what you would expect on that comic if it aged naturally.  Try your best to align everything and insert the staples.  At least the comic is intact. 

If it gets downgraded, or a green label due to the staples, it's probably no worse than if you sent it in detached.  So little downside, better upside, I think.

21 hours ago, Drkegg said:

So do you think I should attempt to replace the Staples with vintage staples to avoid a Green label? I have the grading guide as well but am not sure if that would be a good idea.

I have seen books with replaced staples still achieve a blue label and a fairly high grade (7.0 - 7.5). It will usually result in a note on the label, however...  hm

3 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I have seen books with replaced staples still achieve a blue label and a fairly high grade (7.0 - 7.5). It will usually result in a note on the label, however...  hm

A note on the label of it is a blue label is better than a green label IMO