• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My newest Acquisition
1 1

14 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, originalisbest said:

Killer book to own! To have had a Mercury dime or two and be able to transport yourself to the right newsstand or bookshop right after they put new books out (those darn kids might not be so gentle with books that were on the stands for a little bit!)

What if you effed up and forgot the Mercury's ? Maybe the newstand guy wouldn't see the Roosevelt ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

4 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

What if you effed up and forgot the Mercury's ? Maybe the newstand guy wouldn't see the Roosevelt ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Safer bet might be to take along a bunch of then-new 1938 Jefferson nickels, in just slightly worn shape. Maybe some 1935-38 Buffalo nickels too, to mix it up a bit.

22 hours ago, originalisbest said:

Sadly, I've given this some thought, just in case I get the chance to put my plan in action. ;)

lol... me too.  Would it better to go back with a bunch of Morgan and Peace dollars, or buy some really old bills? How would you transport 400 books back with you? Do you take a suitcase filled with bags and boards?

Ahhh, way too much time on my hands lately. :p

I wouldn't know where to go to place a bet back then, so I'll just stick with getting a stack together of series 1935 $1 bills (not that pricey) and taking those back to an appropriate storefront. In and out! Around the corner to an alley and back in time. Maybe taking along a sturdy shirtbox or something that wouldn't look anachronistic. You're going to get enough odd looks trying to buy like 100 books and then anal-retentively placing them into a box to carry away. ;)

Which makes me wonder, how much are you going to carry out? Even if you get the books you're after, it might kill you to think about the stuff you'll have to leave behind -- can only carry so much stuff at once! :)