• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Real Ghostbusters

12 posts in this topic

Surprised there wasn't an individual thread on this topic ~

I've noticed a slight increase in purchases of the Real Ghostbusters' UK and US comic versions since the announcement of Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021) ~

The UK editions were released before the American versions, and there's not a great deal of information on the print runs of these, though at the very least Comichron suggested the North American presale numbers for The Real Ghostbusters #14 to be at 2,850 - so god knows what the possible estimates up to The Real Ghostbusters #28 - the last issue, mind you - are like lol

But does anyone collect these per chance? I'll leave the OP with an image of The Real Ghostbusters #1, with the badge attached :x

Spoiler

s-l1600.jpg

As popular as Ghostbusters is and the growing interest in the comic, what is surprising to me is how little of the original art from the comic series there is to be found. There are a lot of cels and a few pages of original art that I know one collector has, and a couple of the painted covers from Real Ghostbusters and Slimer, but the art from this series and Slimer is either hidden away in a black hole collection or still with the artists.

And, I rarely ever find The Real Ghostbusters issues in the wild. In all my years of buying comics, I think I've run upon one copy in a comic shop and that was last year in a shop in West Virginia. Even the Slimer series is impossible to find in shops.

The Real Ghostbusters Omnibuses from IDW are now long out of print and getting harder and harder to find, too.

3 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

As popular as Ghostbusters is and the growing interest in the comic, what is surprising to me is how little of the original art from the comic series there is to be found. There are a lot of cels and a few pages of original art that I know one collector has, and a couple of the painted covers from Real Ghostbusters and Slimer, but the art from this series and Slimer is either hidden away in a black hole collection or still with the artists.

And, I rarely ever find The Real Ghostbusters issues in the wild. In all my years of buying comics, I think I've run upon one copy in a comic shop and that was last year in a shop in West Virginia. Even the Slimer series is impossible to find in shops.

The Real Ghostbusters Omnibuses from IDW are now long out of print and getting harder and harder to find, too.

You're absolutely right!

Slimer's runs are pretty low too, but yeah I've never seen original art ~

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Is / was their some kind of trademark that made them throw "real" in the title?

It was a spin off from The Real Ghostbusters animated show, which was named as such - I do believe - do separate association from 'The Ghost Busters', which was a completely different show.

I never had problems finding RGB and Slimer comics in the wild. It might be because I live in the Chicago area and NOW was based out of the loop. The TMNT fan club was local too (where you would send the pizza points from the toy packages). You can still find the redemption prize overstock at flea markets here.

3 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

It was a spin off from The Real Ghostbusters animated show, which was named as such - I do believe - do separate association from 'The Ghost Busters', which was a completely different show.

If I'm recalling this correctly 'The Ghost Busters' was a short lived live action show from the 70's (before my time, I've only read of it).  The movie actually had to pay to use the name.  When it came time for the cartoon, Filmation had a cartoon reboot of the live action show (the one that had an ape as one of the main characters).  So the 'Real' was added to the cartoon probably as the name was already being used, or they didn't want to pay for it, or something like that.  There's probably a better explanation than what I'm giving out on the net somewhere.

Thanks for bringing this up, I'd almost forgotten that I had a full run of this series.  I do recall at least the first half of the run being good, but I have to admit that I was in the target age group when last I read it.  I'll see back issues here and there, but not often.  I think the last issue was actually an Annual dated 1992, looks like #28 was 1991 (that's my only back issue pick up, the rest of mine are original owner).  Looking on comicbookrealm, they are listing a 4 issue vol 2 from 1992, also from Now Comics, which is news to me.  I'm also curious about the UK versions, there seem to be A LOT more issues. 

Does Comichron track newstands? My copies are all newstands, and given that I purchased them in rural Alaska, they can't be super rare (at least in general, in condition is a different animal).

7 hours ago, kenaran said:
11 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

If I'm recalling this correctly 'The Ghost Busters' was a short lived live action show from the 70's (before my time, I've only read of it).  The movie actually had to pay to use the name.  When it came time for the cartoon, Filmation had a cartoon reboot of the live action show (the one that had an ape as one of the main characters).  So the 'Real' was added to the cartoon probably as the name was already being used, or they didn't want to pay for it, or something like that.  There's probably a better explanation than what I'm giving out on the net somewhere.

There was a Filmation animated show called Ghostbusters, which aired in 1986 that featured two guys and a gorilla (intro video below). Following the hit movie, Filmation Associates succeeded in grabbing use of the trademark “Ghostbusters” for their animated kids show, from which that series is adapted. Shortly afterward, Columbia Pictures released a more direct (and successful) adaptation of the movie, under the pointed name “The Real Ghostbusters.”

There have been a number of movies and shows that have shared the Ghostbusters name. Video below.

Edited by awakeintheashes

1 minute ago, IkewithMike said:

I remember the filmation series, it was English if I remember correctly. Aired in Canada

I think it was American because I don’t remember any accents from when I was a kid. I could be wrong, though. I remember watching them and thinking the two guys were Ray and Peter doing their own thing in some weird world lol. Interesting how our childhood brains worked. 

1 minute ago, awakeintheashes said:

I think it was American because I don’t remember any accents from when I was a kid. I could be wrong, though. I remember watching them and thinking the two guys were Ray and Peter doing their own thing in some weird world lol. Interesting how our childhood brains worked. 

I could have it confused with Duckula. It was on either before or after this one

Edited by IkewithMike

On 1/27/2021 at 2:04 AM, Michael Browning said:

I have at least a hundred pages of original art from Marvel UK (Full stories mostly), including covers.

I also have modern cover art from 88mph and IDW.

Edited by UnMort
Correction