• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice Needed
2 2

14 posts in this topic

I have a selling question that has arisen, and I need some advice on how to handle it.

I sold a $1,400 book to a person on Instagram (also a board member here) on Monday, 01/11/2021. At the time, I told the buyer that I needed to wait several days before I could ship it, as I was waiting to receive some Priority Mail boxes from USPS, which, by the way, still have not arrived. The buyer agreed to this stipulation, and I told him/her not to pay me until I was ready to ship the book to him/her.

I had to ship two TPBs yesterday, and, as I was digging through my numerous used boxes, I found a box that I could use to ship his/her book. I contacted him/her yesterday at 11:31 AM, and here is our conversation:

ME, 11:13 AM, Sunday: OK, I found a box to ship your book to you. Please send me your address, and I will get your book shipped out tomorrow or Tuesday. We're supposed to get up to 8" - 12" of snow tomorrow, so that might be why I won't get it out until Tuesday.

ME, 11:13 AM, Sunday: My PayPal address is "MyPayPalAddress". $1,400 F & F. Thank you!

ME, 5:55 PM, Sunday: Did you see my message about [$1,400 book]?

ME, 5:55 PM, Sunday: If you have decided that you no longer want this book, I am fine with that. I would just like you to let me know.

ME, 5:55 PM, Sunday: If I don't get a response soon, I will put the book up for sale on the CGC boards.

BUYER, 8:54 PM, Sunday: Apologies. I have been watching the football games.

ME, 7:52 AM, Monday: Sorry for getting confrontational. Can you give me your address?

ME, 7:52 AM, Monday: Also, send $1,400 via PayPal F & F to "MyPayPalAdress".

I am looking at Instagram right now, and it shows that this user was active 17 minutes ago.

I also sent this person a PM here on the boards yesterday around 7:30 PM on Sunday, but s/he has not read it as of yet.

So, how should I proceed? I suppose some will say that I brought this on myself, because I wasn't ready to ship when the book was sold. I mentioned this information to this person, and s/he said, "No problem." I contacted him/her twice through Instagram, and s/he chose not to look at his/her messages, or s/he did look at my messages, and chose to ignore them.

I don't want to get trashed on Instagram by being labelled a bad seller. But I also expect the buyer to follow through with his/her purchase. How many more messages should I send, and how many more days should I wait before I move on and sell the book on another venue?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Edited by Math Teacher

I think the answer is simple. Advise you will wait "x" number of days longer (maybe the same number of days they waited or were going to have waited for you to get boxes) and then just say, sorry I am going to relist. If they ghost you, well, they ghost you. If they try to blast you well, you handled it fine even by giving extra time after asking for it yourself. I can't see why that would cause someone to get mad or not side with you should the "buyer" here decide to make some sort of stink be it here or on Insta.

Using PayPal F&F on the Boards is not allowed. It also leaves the buyer no recourse in case something goes wrong. See #9 on the Usage Guidelines:

While on the subject of Board Rules, there is no Board Rule that stipulates :takeit:in a thread trumps PM negotiations, that's merely a rule several sellers stipulate that many people copy. When I run a sales thread, it doesn't matter to me if someone wants to remain private and buy a book via PM or not. As long as I have an unqualified, definite "take it," the book goes to that person.

On 1/23/2021 at 1:34 PM, Math Teacher said:

Greetings, everyone. I have two books that I would like to sell to fund a purchase I just made recently.

As per board rules, a :takeit: in the thread trumps any ongoing PM negotiations. No people are the Probation List or in the Hall of Shame are allowed to bid. No returns on CGC-graded books, unless damaged in the mail. PayPal only please. Buyer to pay $5.00 for shipping.

I will accept offers, so feel free to PM if you want to negotiate.

Finally, I thought you were going to wait until you had the boxes in stock? I'd never put books up for sale unless I was able to ship them.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

9 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Using PayPal F&F on the Boards is not allowed. It also leaves the buyer no recourse in case something goes wrong. See #9 on the Usage Guidelines:

While on the subject of Board Rules, there is no Board Rule that stipulates :takeit:in a thread trumps PM negotiations, that's merely a rule several sellers stipulate that many people copy. When I run a sales thread, it doesn't matter to me if someone wants to remain private and buy a book via PM or not. As long as I have an unqualified, definite "take it," the book goes to that person.

Finally, I though you were going to wait until you had the boxes in stock? I'd never put books up for sale unless I was able to ship them.

First, the book I am discussing was sold on Instagram, not here. So your first point is moot.

I understand your point about the boxes. In retrospect, that was a mistake. However, for each buyer, I made it abundantly clear that there may be a slight delay before I could ship the books. Each person agreed that this would not be a problem. I had to ship a small item from a sale on Ebay, and I found some boxes that would work. You can ask @Ghastly542454, as I have already shipped his copy of FF #13. I have two additional books packed, and I am just waiting to hear from the buyer regarding his address. I can't proceed with shipping the last book that I sold as I am currently waiting to be paid by the buyer. So, no buyer has to wait more than four (4) days for his/her books to be shipped. I have purchased books here and on Ebay that have taken longer to be shipped, and I certainly didn't make a big stink about it. People, just like me, have lives, and sometimes things come up that you had not foreseen. My life is not going to be 100% better if I can a book on Saturday versus next Wednesday. I think most buyers here would be in agreement.

8 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

First, the book I am discussing was sold on Instagram, not here. So your first point is moot.

I understand your point about the boxes. In retrospect, that was a mistake. However, for each buyer, I made it abundantly clear that there may be a slight delay before I could ship the books. Each person agreed that this would not be a problem. I had to ship a small item from a sale on Ebay, and I found some boxes that would work. You can ask @Ghastly542454, as I have already shipped his copy of FF #13. I have two additional books packed, and I am just waiting to hear from the buyer regarding his address. I can't proceed with shipping the last book that I sold as I am currently waiting to be paid by the buyer. So, no buyer has to wait more than four (4) days for his/her books to be shipped. I have purchased books here and on Ebay that have taken longer to be shipped, and I certainly didn't make a big stink about it. People, just like me, have lives, and sometimes things come up that you had not foreseen. My life is not going to be 100% better if I can a book on Saturday versus next Wednesday. I think most buyers here would be in agreement.

Well, using PayPal F&F for items that don't meet the criteria is against PayPal rules as well as Board Rules, so it's not exactly moot.

I'll bow out here, chief. Carry on! (thumbsu

@Math Teacher If you're so concerned about the 3 or 4 percent (whatever it is these days) just build that cost into your asking price. As Pontoon said above, against Paypal terms of service and offers the buyer zero protection if there is a problem.

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

Well, using PayPal F&F for items that don't meet the criteria is against PayPal rules as well as Board Rules, so it's not exactly moot.

I'll bow out here, chief. Carry on! (thumbsu

The request for Friends & Family could also become ‘not moot’ if the seller decided to try and nominate the non-paying buyer for the Probation List since the buyer is a member here. 

Food for thought. 

1 minute ago, Math Teacher said:

OK, everyone. I have been thoroughly chastised. In the future, I will only sell books here on the boards or on Ebay, where Friends and Family is not an issue.

:facepalm:

....or sell wherever you want and just use PayPal Goods & Services. 

I tend to avoid Instagram...it is becoming much worse than it was even a year ago.

Ebay is fine but Paypal and fees and yuck

Here has become a lovely place thus far! But don't expect to come here selling common junk for inflated prices. Take those 90's Ghost Rider #1's elsewhere I say! :preach:

I’d give a time/date deadline then give up

9 hours ago, revat said:

I’d give a time/date deadline then give up

I actually contacted the buyer yesterday. He had been in a car accident over the weekend. I am now going to give him another week or two. He did say that he still intended to buy the book.

Now, I at least know the proper way to deal with buyers who ghost you. Offer them a deadline, and if there is no contact, put the book back up for sale.