• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did CGC 9.8 become the default perfect?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

I realize that if you look very, very carefully at a new comic (not a foil or made-with-special-materials) you'll find a fault, or more than one fault; that's why perfect 10's are roughly 1 out of 1500 books.

But when it comes to knocking off points how did 9.8 become the default "perfect?"

Why wouldn't  9.9 or 9.6 be the default perfect?

Does every new comic just happen to always have 2 very minor  defects to put it in the 9.8 grade?

Not maybe one defect to give it a 9.9?

Or why not, say 3 defects or so, and get into the 9.6 grade?  

I just purchased is a brand new variant comic (I just purchased a couple of new release 9.8s) and I looked at the CGC grades for it there was a total of 26 CGC 9.8's.   Not a single 9.9?

I just wonder if they slap a 9.8 on something that could very well be 9.9 just because 9.8 is the default perfect?

Whatcha' y'all think?   

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

9.8 is the 'obtainable perfect'

9.9 is a "possible perfect' 

10 is 'perfect' 

Yup.  Being as realistic as possible about obtaining an ultra high grade copy within a reasonable period of time, and  then moving onto another book that you might also be interested in.  Otherwise, the time frame for a 9.9 or 10.0 to appear is likely to be headache inducing, not to mention its nosebleed price point.

A practical endeavour for a large group of individuals, not just an extremely select, affluent few?

Even this last statement I find a bit debatable, as I’m happier with a cheaper, nicely-presenting 9.0 to 9.6; whatever my limited resources can stretch to. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

The 9.8 is the nearly perfect book that didn't get molested at all from printing roller to in hand.  Escaped damage while being pulled from the printing press, put in cardboard boxes, the box not dropped or tossed ANYWHERE along the way, not sliced while opening the box, not scrunched when pulled at the distributor's warehouse for your LCS order and put into another cardboard box, not dropped or tossed again (just for emphasis), not mangled when the LCS or order fulfilling company open it, handled like eggs when put in your pull box, etc.  What, you say you bought it off the SHELF?????  Fahgettaboudit.

The 9.9 was a comic they thought was a 10 and then finally found something.

The 10.0 has a halo suspended over it.

39 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

The 10.0 has a halo suspended over it.

Yup. Here in the U.K. it has been described as ‘so mint it’s like looking at God’ condition.

I think people here have nailed it. 9.8 is the obtainable perfect. Generally, I don't care the difference between 9.2 or 9.4 or 9.6 BUT I do recognize that these all have visible flaws, however small, that deter it from the obtainable perfect grade.

What I wonder is if, over time, we see a lessening of the gap between 9.6 and 9.8. For so many books, it is huge. 

13 hours ago, Tafkap said:

Does every new comic just happen to always have 2 very minor  defects to put it in the 9.8 grade?

I just purchased is a brand new variant comic (I just purchased a couple of new release 9.8s) and I looked at the CGC grades for it there was a total of 26 CGC 9.8's.   Not a single 9.9?

Comics are mass produced in printing presses in canada, so yeah they'll probably all have some production flaw. The most common is on the top or bottom of spine. Look at any modern book you own and look in those areas and you'll see what I'm talking about.

1 hour ago, Angel of Death said:

A 10 Gem Mint must be perfect in every way. That includes staples and centering. Think about how incredibly rare that is.

I sometimes log into Heritage and look at some of the 9.9 and 10 comics up close. I know it has something to do with the staples, perfectly aligned and shot in just right with no tearing.

Graded comic books followed the grade sportscard industry.

For graded sportscards, perfect is 10, but usually unaffordable for collectors, so the "default" is 9.

The possibility of a 9.5 exists.

So, graded sports cards established a general concept of 10 - impossibly perfect, 9.5 - almost impossibly perfect, 9 - affordably perfect

Graded comic books have the same general concept with 10 - impossibly perfect, 9.9 - almost impossibly perfect, 9.8 - affordably perfect

You'll also notice that the price differences between sportscards 9 - 8.5 - 8 is about the same as 9.8 - 9.6 - 9.4.

Edited by valiantman

Agree with the 9.8 being the "obtainable" perfect. Honestly surprised when I get 9.8's back from CGC on comics I bought in my youth off of the newstand or comic store shelf. Read perhaps once and then put in bag and board and stored for a couple of years. 

fwiw, this happened in numismatic grading. what was/is the result? re-submittals, crack-outs and re-submittals, endless confusing market grading, added buying and selling, and....the increase in fees paid to the tpg/4pg, and the advance of and growth of the hobby.

in short, it keeps the hobby alive.

now, take philately. the stuffy shirts would not succumb to market grading, made the cost of submitting very complicated, never really explained what and how and why a grade was a grade, got involved in usps/congressional committees about what should and should not be a stamp and what price and what collectors want , never did a good job of separating genres, but.....the hobby did agree on a color id for stamps (which was more confusing than a painter's judging contest at a convention). plus, they beat the "roosevelt was a collector" thing to death, to where any further hobby advertisement attempts were useless

the result: if you don't know that by now, then why did you start collecting comics? i will answer...because philately died. drt died (dead right there, meaning no resuscitation  efforts would ever never ever be helpful. forever.

I agree with the "obtainable perfect" reason.

But will also note that the distinction NM+ vs. "Perfect" distinction also pre-dated CGC.

People had a *cow* when the first Overstreet's Grading Guide came out in (I believe) 1990 because of how strict its standards were.

100-point scale, *far* more strict than generally-accepted grading standards to that point, and (unlike) CGC deducted for bindery defects/mis-cuts -- which knocked you down to an immediate 85 (VF).

"Near Mint" was 92-97 whereas "Pristine Mint" was 98-100 - and included perfect centering and razor-sharp corners.

It instantly devalued dealers' stocks around the country at a time when Chuck was only a few years out of his full-page advertisements with his iconic grade "Fine-Mint."

18 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

whereas "Pristine Mint" was 98-100 - and included perfect centering and razor-sharp corners.

Yes, NOT "gem mint" -- handy to remember when sniffing out those disinterested flippers who migrated over from sports cards (thumbsu (/sarc, but only slightly in that I'm oversimplifying just a bit....just...)

9.8 is often your standard perfect book.

9.9 is usually....
A. when the census on a book is getting bigger, and CGC feels like dishing out some ratio love.

B. CGC screwed up on a previous order and gave you a gift grade in return.

C. The book was printed with more durable stock.

10.0 is usually....
A. When the census is getting even bigger, and CGC feels like dishing out some MORE ratio love.

B. The book was printed with more durable stock.

C. Willy Wonka is in a good mood 

Edited by Rip

1 hour ago, Rip said:

9.8 is often your standard perfect book.

9.9 is usually....
A. when the census on a book is getting bigger, and CGC feels like dishing out some ratio love.

B. CGC screwed up on a previous order and gave you a gift grade in return.

C. The book was printed with more durable stock.

10.0 is usually....
A. When the census is getting even bigger, and CGC feels like dishing out some MORE ratio love.

B. The book was printed with more durable stock.

C. Willy Wonka is in a good mood 

giphy.gif