• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did CGC 9.8 become the default perfect?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

One thing I dont understand and never will - is you have a book that is graded 9.8 and it is way off center - crazy wrap and has off white pages. To me there is no way this is a 9.8 and to be honest would never buy it if it had these defects. 9.8 to me means the obvious near perfect aspects, plus perfectly centered and white pages. I dont get it how they can grade other wise.  just my 2c  

37 minutes ago, jimjackjett said:

One thing I dont understand and never will - is you have a book that is graded 9.8 and it is way off center - crazy wrap and has off white pages. To me there is no way this is a 9.8 and to be honest would never buy it if it had these defects. 9.8 to me means the obvious near perfect aspects, plus perfectly centered and white pages. I dont get it how they can grade other wise.  just my 2c  

9.8 allows limited flaws, including what happens on the production line.

If the assembly machine folded it that way, then it has to be overlooked.

Just like ink smudge, or some spine ticks, if the paper is folded that way, not much you can do. 

If all the above were done perfectly, the standard would be 9.9 or 10.0.

my 2c

(shrug)

2 hours ago, jimjackjett said:

I'm with you - especially because I grew up with the Overstreet's Grading Guide - where anything less than perfect wrap = instant VF / VF+.

I'm *still* annoyed that the copies of New Mutants # 94 and X-Men # 269 that I bought off the newsstand 30 years ago had bad miswraps.

17 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

The 9.8 is the nearly perfect book that didn't get molested at all from printing roller to in hand.  Escaped damage while being pulled from the printing press, put in cardboard boxes, the box not dropped or tossed ANYWHERE along the way, not sliced while opening the box, not scrunched when pulled at the distributor's warehouse for your LCS order and put into another cardboard box, not dropped or tossed again (just for emphasis), not mangled when the LCS or order fulfilling company open it, handled like eggs when put in your pull box, etc.  What, you say you bought it off the SHELF?????  Fahgettaboudit.

The 9.9 was a comic they thought was a 10 and then finally found something.

The 10.0 has a halo suspended over it.

love

this should be on the front page of the website

I've submitted many books via 9.8 pre-screen. This include slam-dunk 9.8s mixed in with some that I would personally consider 9.6 - but what the heck. They do come back in a 9.8 case more often than not. 9.8s don't have to be perfect.

Now, there are some books that I've microscopically inspected top-to-bottom, inside-out, front-and-back and no flaw can be detected at all: they have perfect spines, sharp corners, no whites at the spine tips, perfect centring - all the checkboxes. By definition they should be 9.9 or 10.0. But when I submit them, they come back the ho-hum standard 9.8. In fact, I have some books that I've not submitted because i don't want them downgraded :cool:.