• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Customs duty and VAT on imported comics from USA to Europe?

5 posts in this topic

I need help and confirmation on if and how much extra I’ll be charged on vat and customs duty if I purchase this comic from American auction site. I will be getting it delivered to Ireland
The comic itself is expensive so I need to know will I get hit by customs when it’s being delivered, as these are both calculated from percentage of the full value and I hold add on an extra couple hundred quid.
The comic is $6000 so how much extra will I be charged if any?

thanks in advance !

I would interested in knowing the answer to this one as well as I’m U.K. based.

my thoughts on the matter are as follows, your only paying for the grading of the comic itself so any duty that you might incur would be related to that and not to the total value of the comic itself as you own it, if I was to send anything off I would keep all the records of the shipping of the item, mark it on the decoration form on its way to the states take a picture of it and so on, as we all know what customs are like they hit for the full value of the comic, but in your defence you could counter that clam with the evidence you have (ie your shipping documents when you originally sent it off ) and you are willing to pay customs duty on the service you have received bit not for the value of the comic itself as it belongs to you.

I’m worrying about the same thing I bought an item from Germany last November pre Brexit due to arrive March 2021 now would they hit me with duty on it as we now left the EU again my take on it and this will be my argument with customs should it happen will be I paid for this item when we part of the EU and should be exempt from any duty. 

Please Note : This is the way I see it please do not take my advice on your above question as I do not work for customs and exercise and never had.  Your best port of call is to speak to them direct and ask them what the go is.

Customs duty/import taxes would be payable by the laws of your own country. You can get a quick-and-dirty check by looking at a comparable item on Ebay, and seeing what the shipping costs would be. Ebay builds in the import taxes in calculating the shipping costs. (At least it does for Australia so I assume it does for other countries).

If you’re working with a specific auction house or shipping company, I’d contact them directly and ask first.  

it may matter how much you’re insured for or the type of shipping you choose.

On 1/27/2021 at 1:59 PM, Leigh Hall said:

I need help and confirmation on if and how much extra I’ll be charged on vat and customs duty if I purchase this comic from American auction site. I will be getting it delivered to Ireland
The comic itself is expensive so I need to know will I get hit by customs when it’s being delivered, as these are both calculated from percentage of the full value and I hold add on an extra couple hundred quid.
The comic is $6000 so how much extra will I be charged if any?

thanks in advance !

From my understanding with all my UK friends, yes you will get hit. America has  a strict policy on listing the value of the contents of the package and in turn that value will be used to assess how much you owe. You have to check with your government website on taxing fees. This site here says you will be charged standard rate https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/search-vat-rates/B/books-of-stationery-printing.aspx

That's 21% right? YIKES!