• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are these Kirby & Thibodeaux signatures

9 posts in this topic

Hi.  First post so be gentle.  I'm based in the UK and collect Jack Kirby comics but as I'm only interested in cent copies I often have to buy from the USA.  One of these was The Last Of The Viking Heroes issue 8 in mid-July at a reasonable price (July '89 - VF+ $3.61 + postage).  However once it arrived and I checked my collection I found I'd made a mistake and it was a duplicate copy so without looking at it assigned to the 'get rid' pile.  Fast forward to the annual clear-out this week and for whatever reason I took it out of the sealed back just to have a look and saw on page 1 two signatures - Kirby & Thibodeaux.  Thibodeaux is in black ink and Kirby written in red ballpoint (you can feel the signature on the reverse).  So not sold as an autographed copy (not even mentioned in the listing).  I've no idea if either signature is genuine but am putting this out to get opinions.  I've attached an image of the signatures on page 1 with the Kirby signature on his art work on the back cover of the comic.  Any opinions much appreciated (good or bad).  Thanks

kirby.thumb.jpg.7f3ca2181f5ed461a9cafc912c4dc6cb.jpg

It's generally accepted that his wife Roz Kirby did a lot of ghost-signing for him, especially towards the end of his career. On all the signed "Last of the Viking Heroes" books out there, the Kirby sig looks like one of Roz Kirby's proxy-signatures. 

So while unfortunately your sig isn't a real Jack Kirby sig, I still think it's a cool book. 

On 1/29/2021 at 4:08 AM, Seandux said:

That really good to know.  Any idea about the Thibodeaux signature?

I don't know much about Thibodeaux's signature, but yours appears like the other examples out there. But on his sig, I'm just guessing because I really don't know. 

Thanks again.  As this is a duplicate (and not with an original Jack Kirby signature) I'm probably going to sell.  However after looking on the web I have seen copies of the same comic with virtually the same signatures claiming both as original.  What I want to do is make sure that if I do sell it doesn't come back onto the market as an original Kirby signature that rips someone off.  I don't want to put a black marker pen through the his signature as I'm sure that would downgrade the book.  Any suggestions about what I can do?  Thanks

If it was mine, I would just sell it as is, with the description info that the Kirby sig is most likely a Roz Kirby proxy-signature. Don't worry about what happens if it ever comes back onto market - you can only control what happens to it when it's yours. And don't put a pen through it. A Roz Kirby proxy-sig still has value, and, in my opinion, is still pretty cool. 

Whatever you choose to do, you're clearly an honest stand-up fellow who doesn't want anyone to get ripped off. You're a good dude - you'll be fine.

On 2/5/2021 at 7:12 PM, eee91 said:

If it was mine, I would just sell it as is, with the description info that the Kirby sig is most likely a Roz Kirby proxy-signature. Don't worry about what happens if it ever comes back onto market - you can only control what happens to it when it's yours. And don't put a pen through it. A Roz Kirby proxy-sig still has value, and, in my opinion, is still pretty cool. 

Whatever you choose to do, you're clearly an honest stand-up fellow who doesn't want anyone to get ripped off. You're a good dude - you'll be fine.

I actually wouldn’t even go so far as to say it’s a Roz Kirby signature just because some internet stranger told you to, though I also believe that to be the case.  Because you yourself don’t know and likely do not think of yourself of an expert on the topic.

id just have some type of disclaimer saying “I did not witness this signature nor am I an expert on signatures and I make no representations as to the authenticity of the signature. “

Thanks - no way am I am expert on signatures - just looking for advice.  However I've now been trying to find out more about Jack Kirby signatures and it appears to be an absolute minefield.  I've already found a dealer in the USA with the same comic with the same signatures with no evidence of authenticity claiming t is a Kirby signature asking $250.  So I'm now beginning to think the safest thing is to keep hold of it and not risk someone trying to rip someone off.  It will still be an interesting addition to my Kirby collection.