• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ‘Selling too soon’ Thread
1 1

62 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Beige said:

As some of you know , my wife had been very unwell a while back with cancer and a stroke - lasting 3-4 years of treatment and rehab

I had to sell.

Oh boy...

FF #5 CGC 8.0

X-Men #1 CGC 7.0

Sgt Fury #1 CGC 8.5

TTA #44 CGC 8.5

FF #48 CGC 9.4

JIM #83 Voldy 6.0

Hulk #1 CGC 4.0

All-Star #3 CGC 3.0

Avengers #1 CGC 6.0

Action #252 CGC 6.0

Plus a couple of others

I think its safe to say that my wife is waaaaaaaaaaaay more important to me that silly books, but her timing was frankly very inconsiderate  :luhv::luhv:  :roflmao:

I estimate those books have gone up $100,000 - $125,000 since selling. Minimum.

But she's much better, and that, to me, is priceless.

:tink:

I have since got a TTA #44, Sgt Fury #1, and an Action #252 back in lower grades. 

Luckily I managed to hang on to my early Tecs.

Congrats on your wife getting better. That is great. The comics will come back in due time.

The best and truest way and reson to sell.we just hope that the guy that bought them didnt gave it to his 5 year old nephew for his birthday!!hapenned once i was in a comic shop and a guy bought an amazing spider man annual 1 for 300 $ and just when he paid and got the comics,thats exactly what he said and poof gone as fast as the wind the owner of the comic shop was so furious and out of himself ,it took almost an hour and a half before he calmed down.i couldnt pay my books until then........  

I unloaded boxes of raw McFarlane books over 5 years ago. ASM 298s, 299... I’m sure I even sold a 9.8 301 contender too for 20 bucks.

For the price I ditched these books for, I’m sure I lost 10-20k? Hard to say honestly, but definitely a noticeable amount.

Edited by D2

I sold this one early on after the first Avengers movie, thinking it was just getting the typical quick villain book bump, which would then drop back down. Oops. There's no way I would lay out what it would cost to replace it in the same grade now.

IM55.jpg

Edited by Dick Pontoon

Where the hecks Kav?

He normally weighs in on this sort of thing

@kav

Or is he on holiday again? Genuinely have no idea.

2 hours ago, Pontoon said:

I sold this one early on after the first Avengers movie, thinking it was just getting the typical quick villain book bump, which would then drop back down. Oops. There's no way I would lay out what it would cost to replace it in the same grade now.

IM55.jpg

Ouch! I just checked and my Iron Man run stopped at #53. In the words of Maxwell Smart, "missed it by that much!"

Avengers #57

Edge of Spider Verse # 2

Star Wars # 42 ( 2x)

Something is Killing the Children # 1

Those 4 ( 5 if you count SW #42 twice ) are probably my biggest losses , don’t get me wrong - I was able to offload for more than I paid but holding them a bit longer would’ve worked out better . Considering selling all the Dark Horse Star Wars comics I had was essentially “ free money “ the sting wasn’t as bad longterm . I believe they have room to grow, but the older issues will be easier to locate again at obviously higher prices IMO.

Ugh, I had a ton of Dark Horse Star Wars stuff and sold them all basically as dollar bin fodder thinking the Star Wars universe was dying a slow death after the relative failure of the new trilogy to the performance of the MCU. 

Boy was I wrong on that one

1 hour ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Avengers #57

Edge of Spider Verse # 2

Star Wars # 42 ( 2x)

Those 4 ( 5 if you count SW #42 twice ) are probably my biggest losses , don’t get me wrong - I was able to offload for more than I paid but holding them a bit longer would’ve worked out better . Considering selling all the Dark Horse Star Wars comics I had was essentially “ free money “ the sting wasn’t as bad longterm . I believe they have room to grow, but the older issues will be easier to locate again at obviously higher prices IMO.

I sold this one many moons too soon....

E730CBD1-460F-4E89-B718-3E203DF17B36.jpeg

2 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Avengers #57

Edge of Spider Verse # 2

Star Wars # 42 ( 2x)

Didn't sell to early.... But I didn't pick up "Something is Killing the Children" when it came out. I knew it was coming out a few months before it did, I liked the concept and wanted to pick up a couple. I was in an extended comic buying break after blowing my budget upgrading my WBN 32, getting Warrior Mag 1 and a few other books. While on break I missed the boat in what was my targeted grade of 7.0 on SS3. My other targets continue to get further and further out of reach in mid grades (HOS 92, ASM 129) continue to climb out of reach.

I scooped up a couple copies of Haha #1 we'll see if that goes the ice cream man route......

Edited by Lurker89