• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The ‘Selling too soon’ Thread
1 1

62 posts in this topic

I suppose in the current market it can seem like almost any time has been 'selling too soon,' prices just seem to keep growing!

I like to look at it from the other side too, some of the good scores made have come from someone else selling too soon. The buying and selling game is such swings and roundabouts but as some others have said it makes for an engaging and interesting hobby. 

I had a pretty good sports card and autograph collection that I sold a few years ago. In order to avoid sellers remorse years later if prices went way up I put all the money in a mutual fund and just let it sit there. It's up to $35K and should I see an autograph sell now for quite a higher price than I got I don't feel too bad. Of course you have to be in a position where you don't need the money at the time.

3 hours ago, RickSp said:

I suppose in the current market it can seem like almost any time has been 'selling too soon,' prices just seem to keep growing!

I like to look at it from the other side too, some of the good scores made have come from someone else selling too soon. The buying and selling game is such swings and roundabouts but as some others have said it makes for an engaging and interesting hobby. 

Yep, this one is  probably my only regret, I move my hobby money around and it rarely moves out of "hobby" funds so in the end it funded something else I enjoy. And that one was not so much I could have made more money, more just should have kept it.

TNMT 1.jpeg

I unloaded a ton of stuff back in 2014 when I moved to Europe. Some of you might remember i literally gave stuff away. If I remember right there were 10-12 priority mail boxes of raw comics that I "sold" for the cost of shipping. 

I cant remember everything in there, but I do remember..
Saga run including #1
Batman Adventures run (no BA12)
Star Wars Dark Horse issues

I also sold off many hardcovers in my library that have now gone well out of print and there's no way Im rebuying them... Think I sold my BPRD Plague of Frogs 4 volume set for $100... now you cant even find volume 3 and 4 to pay twice that for just a single volume. 

I think the only slab I've sold that I regretted was a 6.5 Strange Worlds 4. Sold it for about $600 back in 2015, and it'd take twice that to rebuy it now... 

C'est la vie.

13 hours ago, spracknetch23 said:

I've said this one before, but sold a signed raw lot of Albedo 2, 3 and 4 VF/NM circa 2003 to fund a new computer purchase. Wish I could find those copies again.

well, the 2 is the one to cry about. I probably sold 20 copies of #3 over the years.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I yanked a 4th print out of a box, figured it was a $10 book nowadays as everything has gotten excited. apparently it is a $100-$150 book. yikes.

The market is absolutely bonkers right now....

On 1/31/2021 at 11:30 AM, october said:

I'm a quasi-dealer, so this stuff was just inventory I sold to finance my collection, house, etc, but still hurts to think about. 

Batman 171 9.6: sold $4,000, now worth $40,000

FF 52 9.6: sold $4,000, now worth $25,000

TOS 39 8.0: sold $10,000, now worth $30,000

Fantastic 3 7.0 Ext Resto: sold $8,000, now worth $20,000 or more

Flash 139 9.6: sold $2,500, now worth $15,000?

ASM 1 7.5: sold for $8,000 in cash/trade, now worth $30,000

I am sure there are many, many more. It's how it goes when you buy/sell. 

Smaller scale for me and most of my books were not slabbed, so hard to be certain

Raw copies of FF 5 (4.0-4.5), Strange Tales 110 (4.0),  TOS 39 (2.0), X-Men 1 (1.8), B&B 28 (5.0), DD 1 3.5 (slight resto, slabbed) ), JLA 1, FF 48 (many copies 3.0-6.0) all for about 1/10th what they sell for now. ... I can think of very few key SA books I have ever sold that have not appreciated a lot other than maybe some of the Inhumans and Warlock stuff

BUT, more recently, and I've cried here before...3 bagged copies of UF 4 for $35 (shipped) to a boardie (forget who) ..I can't guarantee what grade they were in, but they looked pretty good. I did get them out of a 25 cent box. Copies of Walking Dead 9, 10, and 11 in absolutely pristine shape for under $3.50 each (also sold here) also did not look like smart sales a few years later.  10 copies of Saga 1 for $300 anyone? Literally, by the time my media mail shipment actually arrived they were $100+ each, indeed, the boardie who bought them from me was selling them for $100 and up here! (Good for him) (Never mind that I had sold other copies for $15-$20 each, but just one at a time, when they had an FMV of $35 or so I figured there was no way they could keep going up). 

On 1/31/2021 at 11:30 AM, october said:

I'm a quasi-dealer, so this stuff was just inventory I sold to finance my collection, house, etc, but still hurts to think about. 

Batman 171 9.6: sold $4,000, now worth $40,000

FF 52 9.6: sold $4,000, now worth $25,000

TOS 39 8.0: sold $10,000, now worth $30,000

Fantastic 3 7.0 Ext Resto: sold $8,000, now worth $20,000 or more

Flash 139 9.6: sold $2,500, now worth $15,000?

ASM 1 7.5: sold for $8,000 in cash/trade, now worth $30,000

I am sure there are many, many more. It's how it goes when you buy/sell. 

Whoa dude, mine don't seem so bad now! :whatthe:

8 minutes ago, s-man said:

Whoa dude, mine don't seem so bad now! :whatthe:

It all depends on what he did with the money and when this was. Also, a 9.2 FF 52 just sold for $13K (I can't figure out if there was an offer, so it may be less, the "TaxE.." thing did not work). The 9.6 maybe worth more than $25K... just saying...

The #3s were stuck in that $20-35 range for a long time, they seem to have settled in at $100+ now. Getting them out of my LCS 50 cent box and quickly flipping them for $20-$25 on ebay in 2005/6 seemed like a smart move an I needed the money then. 

10 minutes ago, the blob said:

, a 9.2 FF 52 just sold for $13K (I can't figure out if there was an offer, so it may be less, the "TaxE.." thing did not work). 

A 9.0 has sold for $7700 so, 13K doesn't surprise me for a 9.2  I'm glad I got my 9.0 copy when I did.  

Just now, comicdonna said:

A 9.0 has sold for $7700 so, 13K doesn't surprise me for a 9.2  I'm glad I got my 9.0 copy when I did.  

I am not surprised, I am just thinking a 9.6 may be more than 2X as much as 9.2?

1 minute ago, the blob said:
2 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I am not surprised, I am just thinking a 9.6 may be more than 2X as much as 9.2?

That's a good guess!  (thumbsu

On 1/30/2021 at 8:00 PM, Beige said:

As some of you know , my wife had been very unwell a while back with cancer and a stroke - lasting 3-4 years of treatment and rehab

I had to sell.

Oh boy...

FF #5 CGC 8.0

X-Men #1 CGC 7.0

Sgt Fury #1 CGC 8.5

TTA #44 CGC 8.5

FF #48 CGC 9.4

JIM #83 Voldy 6.0

Hulk #1 CGC 4.0

All-Star #3 CGC 3.0

Avengers #1 CGC 6.0

Action #252 CGC 6.0

Plus a couple of others

I think its safe to say that my wife is waaaaaaaaaaaay more important to me that silly books, but her timing was frankly very inconsiderate  :luhv::luhv:  :roflmao:

I estimate those books have gone up $100,000 - $125,000 since selling. Minimum.

But she's much better, and that, to me, is priceless.

:tink:

I have since got a TTA #44, Sgt Fury #1, and an Action #252 back in lower grades. 

Luckily I managed to hang on to my early Tecs.

I'm glad your wife is well. 

There is no price tag you can put on that. I'm glad your silly hobby of collecting funny books gave you the assets to put towards such a worthy cause. 

When the Star Wars craze began again I found out Star Wars Legacy #1 was worth quite a bit.  I searched every box I owned to no avail.  Twice.  Then I started to think.  Maybe I sold it.  Sure enough:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/196966-inconceivable-must-move-a-long-box-ca-modern/page/3/#comments

Scroll down past the probable 9.8 Legacy #1 and you can see I sold #1-7 for $7.00 back in 2010. 

Flash forward to a couple of  weeks ago I tell my friend that I am sending in some books to CGC and he brings over Star Wars Legacy #1.  Not only had I forgotten I sold the book, I had forgotten I sold it to my friend.  For $1.00. And I have to submit it for him.

Dan