• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trades

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before in this section, but how does it work with trades?

Is it usually 1 for 1 (if both books are of similar value/rarity/sought after)?

or, if 1 seller has a book that is rarer/more sought after and expensive to buy, does the buyer have to offer 2 or more books, up to the value of what the seller wants, price wise?

Understand if the above is stating the obvious and I’ve answered my own question, but would just like to know if there is a definitive answer to this question?

Don’t want in the future to insult another seller nor get ripped off by offering too much.

Thanks,

Andy

I've done many trades here over the years and, in my experience, if one party is looking to maximize value then it's a waste of time. Both parties should have a desire for the other party's book(s) on their own merits and not to squeeze out every last dollar. Some people also greatly overvalue their own stuff and, again, those trades tend to go nowhere. Keep it simple, don't stress over lining up every last dollar one for one, and only work with trade partners who have a similar attitude. 

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your reply. So I guess it’s really the question then, that the 1st question you need to ask the seller is, “Do you trade just for the book you want, and not for its value, rarity or if it’s more sought after?”

If it’s any of the latter, then the conversation ends there, I guess.

Sorry, one more question: Would the 1 for 1 scenario still apply if both books were raw copies, but the buyer’s copy was say a 5.0, but the book the seller was offering was a 7.0? Would it be expected then that the seller would trade his higher grade book for the lower grade book, but would want cash on top, equivalent to what he would have got, if he had decided instead to sell his book for cash at a 7.0 price?

Thanks,

Andy

A trade has to be mutually agreed upon.  Other than that, there are no rules. 

I have a book that you want.  Let's say X-Men 109 in 7.0.  You might offer me a book that is worth more but because I already have a copy, I turn you down. If you want my X-Men 109, you have to come up with an offer that I want. Offering a book worth more money may not get it done if I either already own the book you offer or if I'm not interested in it.

While some people have made trades here, I've tried a few times and never reached a deal.

The last trade I tried was with a store owner in Las Vegas. I had a TTA 27 that he was in love with. He offered $2500 cash, which I rejected. I countered with $5,000 trade. He offered me $4,000 in trade and $250 cash. I agreed, but the deal fell apart because he kept excluding stuff. He kept trying to get me to take over-priced modern variants while I wanted things like his Hawkman 1 and Metal Men 1s.   After a few hours, it was obvious he valued his stuff way different then I did and we both called off the deal.  I'm sure it was a coincidence, but his store is no longer in business.

Edited by shadroch

17 minutes ago, MARVELous Fan said:

Sorry, one more question: Would the 1 for 1 scenario still apply if both books were raw copies, but the buyer’s copy was say a 5.0, but the book the seller was offering was a 7.0? Would it be expected then that the seller would trade his higher grade book for the lower grade book, but would want cash on top, equivalent to what he would have got, if he had decided instead to sell his book for cash at a 7.0 price?

There really are no concrete answers to your questions. The answer could be yes or no and will depend on the comics involved in the potential trade, and the expectations of the people involved. 

The best you can do is lay out what you want to trade and the kind of deal you'd be willing to do and then work out the details with anyone who is interested.

32 minutes ago, MARVELous Fan said:

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your reply. So I guess it’s really the question then, that the 1st question you need to ask the seller is, “Do you trade just for the book you want, and not for its value, rarity or if it’s more sought after?”

If it’s any of the latter, then the conversation ends there, I guess.

Thanks,

Andy

It really depends on the specific comics involved. Early last year I traded four lower grade Golden Age books to a dealer for one of his mid grade GA books. Based on total fair market value he got the better of the deal by a few hundred dollars. However, I was perfectly happy with that as I got the overall best book in the deal, and it was one I was able to get with no money out of pocket. He was happy since he got a little more retail value and was able to spread that value out across four books instead of one. So, basically, every trade will be unique. 

Trades are fun. 

I just try to go in with a reasonable starting point and go from there.

My advice is, arm yourself with knowledge. Know what your stuff is worth. You can be as flexible as you want to be with that knowledge, but don't sell yourself short just because your excited about a deal. 

Sometimes it's better to sell your books first and go in with cash. 

Consider motivations and availability as well.  And risk.  

Suppose I acquire a book worth $700 for $400 but I don’t care too much about this book. It would become a prime trade candidate and I would seek a book I actually want valued at $600-700

Thats how I trade

Edited by comicginger1789

2 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Lots of good advice so far. Here's another perspective:

Why trade? Sell what you don't want and save until you have enough to buy the book you do want. You're much more likely to get the book you'd like at the best possible price.

I enjoy working out trades, but this is the best advice for maximizing the value of your comics.

Most dealers and shop owners won't give you "retail" value on trades because they have to be able to sell them at a profit.  And when you are targeting a specific book it often puts you in a position of having to give up more to get that book. 

Selling and bringing cash to the party removes allot of questions.