• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storing your Art in Portfolio case

19 posts in this topic

I have a modest little art collection, and every piece I purchase immediately gets framed and displayed on the wall.  However I’m starting to run out of wall space ( I knew this day was eventually going to come!).  I was wondering if anyone would recommend a good portfolio case to store original art?  Do you also put your art in an additional sleeve before putting it in the portfolio? Thanks for all advise! 

5 hours ago, Comic_Zone said:

I have a modest little art collection, and every piece I purchase immediately gets framed and displayed on the wall.  However I’m starting to run out of wall space ( I knew this day was eventually going to come!).  I was wondering if anyone would recommend a good portfolio case to store original art?  Do you also put your art in an additional sleeve before putting it in the portfolio? Thanks for all advise! 

I have far more art than I have wall space...but I'm an optimist, so maybe someday :)

For now, the majority of my collection is stored in itoya portfolios, and I put each piece in a mylar before the portfolio page.

3 hours ago, Lobstrosity said:

I have far more art than I have wall space...but I'm an optimist, so maybe someday :)

For now, the majority of my collection is stored in itoya portfolios, and I put each piece in a mylar before the portfolio page.

Thanks! I'll check those out. Also good to know there are Mylar for larger art size. 

5 hours ago, Comic_Zone said:

Thanks! I'll check those out. Also good to know there are Mylar for larger art size. 

There are Mylars for larger sizes, as you know. They aren’t the easiest to get in odd sizes, but E. Gerber has a nice pile. Be warned, however, you may have to buy a fair number of extra’s to account for odd sizes and a minimum order requirement that you won’t use for a long time. I don’t put everything in Mylars. Inexpensive commissions and lesser, unloved art go directly into the Itoya’s for convenience. For large pieces there are two very large Itoya’s you can use, but the art will rattle around if you don’t put them in Itoya’s.

17 hours ago, Comic_Zone said:

Lots of info here-

24 minutes ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

I have mine in Itoyas, but I’ve never considered mylar, too. Aren’t Itoyas acid free and archival? Is it necessary to put them in both? I keep them in my dark, cool collectible room, FYI.

I use both, and you will probably be okay. My understanding is that Mylar is absolutely inert and is used for museum quality protection, but Itoya’s are not quite as protective. So, I keep the cheaper stuff, like most sketches, in Itoya’s and the more valuable stuff in both.

Let me add that a few years ago, I found some pieces in my old basement stored in cheap plastic. They had never been exposed to sunlight, and were kept cool and dry. One inked sketch, about 35 years old, was slightly yellowed in spots. Another one, in a cheap frame, was as good as new. And a few, that had been exposed to humidity, had to be restored. 

Edited by Rick2you2

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I use both, and you will probably be okay. My understanding is that Mylar is absolutely inert and is used for museum quality protection, but Itoya’s are not quite as protective. So, I keep the cheaper stuff, like most sketches, in Itoya’s and the more valuable stuff in both.

Let me add that a few years ago, I found some pieces in my old basement stored in cheap plastic. They had never been exposed to sunlight, and were kept cool and dry. One inked sketch, about 35 years old, was slightly yellowed in spots. Another one, in a cheap frame, was as good as new. And a few, that had been exposed to humidity, had to be restored. 

Thanks, Rick. As always, I appreciate the advice. I won’t be concerned for storage to this point, then, and start upgrading the protection for my big pieces. I guess there’s no point in wearing 3/4 of a condom. 

1 hour ago, vodou said:

No. And no.

In fact, they specifically say (as I read from the front of one) "Acid Free Archival Safe". I have to assume that it is a matter of degree or specific distinctions being made which are not spelled out (or the manufacturer is staring at a hell of a class action lawsuit). 

18 minutes ago, Latverian Tourism Board said:

Thanks, Rick. As always, I appreciate the advice. I won’t be concerned for storage to this point, then, and start upgrading the protection for my big pieces. I guess there’s no point in wearing 3/4 of a condom. 

I won't go there: too easy.

17 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I have to assume that it is a matter of degree...

Correct. The way dealers use them to cart around inventory to shows, inventory that tends to be turning regularly and thus not spending years and decades in one spot = A-ok. For collectors that are keeping them in the same spot for years and decades = DYODD. For me that = no.

Itoya is adding a new size to their Art Profolio books.

IA-12-10     12″ x 18″

https://itoya.com/products/presentation-book-portfolios/the-original-art-profolio/

I talked to a person at Texas Art Supplies in Houston and they said that they expect to receive them sometime in July.

I am moving all my art into the 12x18 size. It provides some room to the existing 11x17 art and allows for the slightly larger A3 art boards to fit in the same book as well.

2 hours ago, cmaeditor said:

Itoya is adding a new size to their Art Profolio books.

IA-12-10     12″ x 18″

https://itoya.com/products/presentation-book-portfolios/the-original-art-profolio/

I talked to a person at Texas Art Supplies in Houston and they said that they expect to receive them sometime in July.

I am moving all my art into the 12x18 size. It provides some room to the existing 11x17 art and allows for the slightly larger A3 art boards to fit in the same book as well.

That’s a good tip. They should also hold 11 x 17 pieces in a Mylar sleeve.