• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Registry Feature Request
2 2

4 posts in this topic

First let me say I enjoy using the registry and appreciate the amount of effort you put in keeping it as up to date as you can.  Maybe something can be added that might help cut down your work load?

Can you add something that lets us request slot additions from inside of our edit set pages?  Something like the "add from inventory" button we have in the custom set edit page.

Example:  Amazing Spider-Man(2018) set currently goes up to issue #46.  If I wanted to add issue #47 I could click the "Add from Inventory" button and select issues 47, 48, 49, etc. from my collection.  When I hit submit nothing would change with my set at the time, but you would get a request with all the info you needed (Set name, Cert#, etc.).  Then you could approve the requested slots and they would be added to the set.  If you didn't approve the request then someone could go to the forum and ask why. 

I don't know how the back end works for the registry but since you have somewhat similar functionality in Custom Sets I thought it might be possible to add.

Thanks again for all the work you do with the updates.

• Administrator
On 1/31/2021 at 11:25 PM, SeanYork said:

First let me say I enjoy using the registry and appreciate the amount of effort you put in keeping it as up to date as you can.  Maybe something can be added that might help cut down your work load?

Can you add something that lets us request slot additions from inside of our edit set pages?  Something like the "add from inventory" button we have in the custom set edit page.

Example:  Amazing Spider-Man(2018) set currently goes up to issue #46.  If I wanted to add issue #47 I could click the "Add from Inventory" button and select issues 47, 48, 49, etc. from my collection.  When I hit submit nothing would change with my set at the time, but you would get a request with all the info you needed (Set name, Cert#, etc.).  Then you could approve the requested slots and they would be added to the set.  If you didn't approve the request then someone could go to the forum and ask why. 

I don't know how the back end works for the registry but since you have somewhat similar functionality in Custom Sets I thought it might be possible to add.

Thanks again for all the work you do with the updates.

Hello @SeanYork,

Thank you for your suggestion. We are always looking for ways to make the user experience and admin workload much more efficient. I will pass along your idea to our team for consideration. 

On 2/1/2021 at 4:25 AM, SeanYork said:

might help cut down your work

I am attracted to @SeanYork's sentiments here. It is unfortunate to see that no/nil/nada/zilch requests to add a book to a set in the correct 2021 thread has been attended to so far this year - already a c. seven-week backlog.

I have never understood CGC's (apparent) two-step process. It would seem logical to me that when a book is graded, and a unique number allocated to it, that book should be added right away to the current set/s it is eligible for. At some point in the future, someone will want to add it to a set. When I have a book graded, or buy a graded book, I really want to be able to add it straight away. I do not understand why - particularly if it is a newly issued book - I then have to request, and wait, for it to be added to a current set.

This would cut OUR waiting, and your work, Matt. I believe the majority of your function could be reduced to creating sets for new series and new sets requested by CGC members.

In writing, I would like to see a new, specific thread each year to request Registry adjustments (such as "remove this book" from sets). At present, I feel we have to guess where to put a request to you like this.

Regards

Stephen

Edited by StephenWA
correction

• Administrator
2 hours ago, StephenWA said:

I am attracted to @SeanYork's sentiments here. It is unfortunate to see that no/nil/nada/zilch requests to add a book to a set in the correct 2021 thread has been attended to so far this year - already a c. seven-week backlog.

I have never understood CGC's (apparent) two-step process. It would seem logical to me that when a book is graded, and a unique number allocated to it, that book should be added right away to the current set/s it is eligible for. At some point in the future, someone will want to add it to a set. When I have a book graded, or buy a graded book, I really want to be able to add it straight away. I do not understand why - particularly if it is a newly issued book - I then have to request, and wait, for it to be added to a current set.

This would cut OUR waiting, and your work, Matt. I believe the majority of your function could be reduced to creating sets for new series and new sets requested by CGC members.

In writing, I would like to see a new, specific thread each year to request Registry adjustments (such as "remove this book" from sets). At present, I feel we have to guess where to put a request to you like this.

Regards

Stephen

Hi @StephenWA,

Thank you for your feedback. We have our eyes on completely redoing the CGC registry but I do not expect this to be done any time soon. We want the user and admin experience to be much more efficient and are putting some work in behind the scenes to make that happen but this includes incremental steps that will now show dividends to our collectors for a bit. Creating large, modern sets (many variants) and expanding modern sets is a painstaking process which slows down all requests and we hope to speed this up as well as find a way to automatically add slots to sets once graded. 

"Add from inventory" may be an option but we must figure out if we can add logic to only add books applicable to that specific set. I am not sure if that is possible, and if not, users will be able to request to add Donald Duck to ASM Complete sets which will be a step back.

Currently, the "remove book from set" requests are generally lumped into the "Slot" request thread but I am open to adding a new thread if needed. I do not think this is as popular so I prefer to keep it in the current thread to allow dialogue with other collectors. I am not a comic expert, so it is helpful when others chime in with their opinions on additions/removals.

We are looking to add a full time registry admin to help/replace me very soon as I am wearing many hats (no excuse!). I have been fully involved in the launch of CSG which has taken me away from the registry and that is not fair to our collectors. I have been adding sets in my limited down time and hope to be completed with the 2020 set requests soon.