• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Signature w Lone Star Lone Star Comics certificate of authenticity.
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I am thinking of trying to get an X-Men 13 ungraded with a Stan Lee Signature w Lone Star Lone Star Comics certificate of authenticity. If sent to CGC will they slab this as a Signature Series? I sent a question to them a couple days ago and no response yet. Thanks.

The yellow CGC Signature Series label is given to collectibles that have been signed by someone of significance to the item. These labels will generally be issued only to items signed under the direct observation of a CGC representative. In select instances, CGC may accept signed books directly from the signer or publisher. The signatures are then authenticated by CGC with labels indicating who signed them, when they were signed and, in some cases, where they were signed.

After the collectible is signed in the presence of a CGC authorized witness, it is immediately submitted to CGC for expert grading and encapsulation in the state-of-the-art, CGC holder that bears the prestigious yellow label. Your collectible is then safely returned to you to become a treasured part of your collection.

Not trying to be a jerk, but this questions has been asked dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of times and they have all been answered. I recommend doing a forum search for your answer before making a post.

5 minutes ago, Antyreal said:

Not trying to be a jerk, but this questions has been asked dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of times and they have all been answered. I recommend doing a forum search for your answer before making a post.

Actually its only been asked a handful of times, just seems like more (thumbsu

4 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

It comes up a lot in the QA subforums. 

Then maybe it is dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of times:tonofbricks:

Chat forum is entertaining with some responses from the collective wisdom of the forum.  With risk of getting some of the ridicule in this thread on COAs (being addressed dozens and dozens....), I'll ask it another way. 

What is CGC policy towards COAs and where is it posted?  Below are references from the CGC webpage, which isn't too clear of a policy statement w/r/t COA. 

Here's a scenario I'm trying to understand as a "noobie" to CGC & forums.  If I send a comic for signature to qualified signatory company, Desert Wind, I get a COA.  When I get the comic and COA back, and at some later date decide to get the comic graded, will CGC accept the COA for grading and the yellow signature series label?  From below, I can infer that the CGC position is to get the comic sent from Desert Wind to CGC (as is offered), otherwise CGC won't grade and provide the yellow signature series label to preclude intentional fraud/forgery. 

I can ask CGC but thought I'd ask the collective.  If nothing else, it gives some members yet another opportunity to practice and sharpen their sarcasm.  Thank you.

What if my book has a COA (Certificate of Authenticity)?

Please do not send COAs to CGC along with your books. We will not need them and cannot guarantee that they will be returned along with your submission.

and this from 2001.

CGC's New SignatureSeries Service

CGC is pleased to announce a new service called the CGC Signature Series. Finally, the comic book hobby will have a way of knowing that the signature on a comic book they purchase is a legitimate signature of their favorite professional and not a forgery.

By CGC

Before this, a collector would buy a signed comic book and get a piece of paper, called a "certificate of authenticity" stating when and where the comic book was signed and who signed it. Unfortunately, there is no way to know if another comic with a forged signature was given to them with that piece of paper.

The CGC Signature Series offers an excellent way to authenticate an artist’s or writer’s signature and prevent the buyer from unknowingly purchasing a forgery. The comic book will be signed by the artist or writer and, along with the correct, corresponding documentation to ensure authenticity, sent directly to CGC for certification. That comic book will get the same impartial, expert, third party grading you expect from CGC, but it will also be given our new yellow label stating who signed the comic book, the date it was signed and then put in our state-of-the-art CGC tamper evident holder.

Even if it’s a COA from a CGC witness/rep it still must not leave their possession until it’s in the possession of CGC. If you’re ever wondering “hey does this qualify for CGC yellow label?” Think about the books chain-of-custody and whether there’s any point in time that a cgc witness/rep/artist isn’t in possession of the unslabbed altered book, if you can then it will not qualify for yellow label. Keep in mind shipping does not qualify as a change of possession.

24 minutes ago, XjYoZbQ said:

What is a COA from a CGC rep?

I'm guessing it's a piece of paper from a authorized witness.

In any case, thesink is right.  You have to think about if the chain of custody could have been broken at any point along the way.  An unethical person could just as easily forge a signature and then use the COA as "evidence" of authenticity when it's clearly a fake.

I asked before and the mods didn't do anything, but we get this question so much it just needs to be stickied at the top of the Newbie sub-forum.  If it prevents even one of these posts a week, then it's worth it.