• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RECEIVED - Thanks Everyone ! (Bought a page of art from a seller in Spain. The seller requests my ID for the Spanish customs form. Anyone have experience with this? What do I give him?)

25 posts in this topic

As the title says:

Bought a page of art from a seller in Spain.  The seller requests my ID for the Spanish customs form.   Anyone have experience with this?  What do I give him? 

I figured that since it was art and also because some of you all chase art from people around the world, that someone might be able to offer some advice.  I am unwilling to provide the actual numbers to my NY State driver's license ID.   I don't think that is a good idea. 

@jaybuck43  @jsilverjanet

ver.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

Not sure why the actual ID is needed, I thought with an international shipment same info is needed

name 

address

phone number

beyond that not sure why he would need details unless he’s trying to cover his behind and get confirmation you are who you say you are 

could it be due to total value? 

23 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

FYI 

you’ve used up 2 of your wishes. One more wish and my obligation is fulfilled 

lol I have only used up one.  Besides think of the many times I have coerced a certain family member to say your name.

Who's Hector? 
That's not important right now.  He would like to see you hug a tree.

Fine. 

33 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

As the title says:

Bought a page of art from a seller in Spain.  The seller requests my ID for the Spanish customs form.   Anyone have experience with this?  What do I give him? 

I figured that since it was art and also because some of you all chase art from people around the world, that someone might be able to offer some advice.  I am unwilling to provide the actual numbers to my NY State driver's license ID.   I don't think that is a good idea. 

@jaybuck43  @jsilverjanet

ver.jpg

Over a certain dollar amount they need your social security number.. i do not recall the amount maybe 2k - but I was surprised when asked for this once and confirmed it legitimacy with an international art dealer. The form always asks and does not distinguish the breaking point,. you can find the exact amount with US customs. if it is a small amount tell them to leave that blank and it will be fine

I had a similar problem last year sending a painting from the UK to a Spanish collector via FedEx - which was the first time I'd used the service.  Not sure how it works in America, but if memory serves me right I used my National Insurance Number (which might be a UK thing) for National ID.  Now I've got three paintings going out to the same guy later this week . . . 

1 hour ago, Taylor G said:

Explain that a driver's license in the US is not the same as a DNI (national identity card) in Spain, you could be subject to identity theft if it was put on a customs form.  There is no US equivalent of the DNI. 

I've bought stuff from Spain and never had to give this kind of information.  The senders just left the field blank.

Yeah, I am not comfortable handing over my NYSDL# or my SSN#... if it comes to that, I have to think 'big picture' and live without the page. 

1 hour ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Over a certain dollar amount they need your social security number.. i do not recall the amount maybe 2k - but I was surprised when asked for this once and confirmed it legitimacy with an international art dealer. The form always asks and does not distinguish the breaking point,. you can find the exact amount with US customs. if it is a small amount tell them to leave that blank and it will be fine

It was 260 euro / $329 American... so I am going to ask him to leave it blank and see what he says. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Thank you gentlemen... 

It's something very specific to what I like to collect and I have only found two other pages in the run of pages I am looking for.   This is actually only the third one I have ever tracked down.  I am going to ask him to leave it blank so I don't want to jinx myself and post what it is yet in the event that I do not actually get it. 

3 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Not sure why the actual ID is needed, I thought with an international shipment same info is needed

name 

address

phone number

beyond that not sure why he would need details unless he’s trying to cover his behind and get confirmation you are who you say you are 

could it be due to total value? 

It’s not needed. @Buzzetta that is only needed for commercial sales. But why is he using that form? Seller need only fill out a CN 22 or CN 23 form depending on weight and value of the package (I’ll double check but I believe the CN 22 is if the package is less than 20 kilos and 450 or so dollars and CN 23 is if it’s more than 450 dollars. Or something like that. What shipper is seller using?

I have bought art from Spain twice (both by up and coming comic artist Daniel Maine). Neither time did I need to do anything like this, but granted my total each time was a couple hundred in USD, perhaps even less. (I'm Canadian so this was Spain to Canada). I understand hefty international transactions requiring a bit more paperwork and details... but I would never ever send a copy or photo of any of my official ID. A phone number, sure, or secondary address if needed, but that's about it.

I'd contact the seller and explain this, and be patient with them. Its likely they are trying to cover their own butt about something and you might be able to work it out with patience and good communication. Don't send the ID though. 

That's my two cents...

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I saw all these names of posters and I had to do a double take and check I was still in the original art section.

Don't tell Mitch but I lurk through gold as well. 

Over here I like to sit back and learn from what others post as I consider this one of the best resources for collecting comic art on the doubya doubya doubya.