• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If a comic book is a 9.0+ but it has a coupon cut out how will it affect the value?

19 posts in this topic

Valuewise, expect to lose 80-90% of the value.

You can get a green label that would reflect the grade if the coupon was there, or a blue label reflecting the book is incomplete.  You'd be lucky to get $5 for the book if disclosed.

Edited by shadroch

On 2/2/2021 at 9:39 AM, 15Years said:

You'll lose a lot more money if you send it in to be slabbed.

+1   Books of high value, like Hulk 181, minus a coupon or MVS? Still worth significant money but well off the mark of complete copies. 

Common books of negligible value, even when complete? Minus a coupon or stamp = next to nothing. 

Just putting this here to keep an eye out. Wondering how low this will sell. Kind of surprised the person who sent this to CGC didn't even bother checking inside first. And if they did, then it's even more puzzling. What a waste.

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dcaptain%2Bmarvel%2Badventures%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1459732&id=1459732&itemType=0#detail

49 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Just putting this here to keep an eye out. Wondering how low this will sell. Kind of surprised the person who sent this to CGC didn't even bother checking inside first. And if they did, then it's even more puzzling. What a waste.

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dcaptain%2Bmarvel%2Badventures%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1459732&id=1459732&itemType=0#detail

I have a few higher grade green labeled slabs with similar defects. Many times I’ve wished that I’d requested a low grade blue label instead being given by default the higher grade green. Something terrible about a green label.  It’s like Nathaniel Hawthorne graded it. One exception seems to be when it is given for unverified signatures. The Captain Marvel will probably go for next to nothing but it looks nice. 

14 hours ago, William-James88 said:

That happened to me, twice, on the same shipment, with ASM 20. Didn't realize the poster was gone.

But check this out:

On one book, they gave me a blue 0.5. On the other, they gave me a green 4.0. Same flaw. O.o (I cracked the 0.5 and sold it raw)

18 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

I have a few higher grade green labeled slabs with similar defects. Many times I’ve wished that I’d requested a low grade blue label instead being given by default the higher grade green. Something terrible about a green label.  It’s like Nathaniel Hawthorne graded it. One exception seems to be when it is given for unverified signatures. The Captain Marvel will probably go for next to nothing but it looks nice. 

Did you send them in knowing of the missing coupon?

Also, wouldn't John Hawthorne be more à propos?

4 hours ago, oldrover said:

That happened to me, twice, on the same shipment, with ASM 20. Didn't realize the poster was gone.

But check this out:

On one book, they gave me a blue 0.5. On the other, they gave me a green 4.0. Same flaw. O.o (I cracked the 0.5 and sold it raw)

Yeah that's wack. Although I completely understamd how those could be sent. You have to know a poster is supposed to be there since they were meant to be removed and thus the comic wouldn't appear to be incomplete at first glance. I myself do not know which Marvel books have posters in them and for all I know I may have some silver age marvel books with the posters missing.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Did you send them in knowing of the missing coupon?

Also, wouldn't John Hawthorne be more à propos?

Yeah that's wack. Although I completely understamd how those could be sent. You have to know a poster is supposed to be there since they were meant to be removed and thus the comic wouldn't appear to be incomplete at first glance. I myself do not know which Marvel books have posters in them and for all I know I may have some silver age marvel books with the posters missing.

It's one of the pages, so the page count usually turns it up pretty easily.

The ASM 3 that I bought over 40 years ago broke my heart when I found out the pin up page was missing.

At one point, CGC didn't have a qualified signature series label, so some books were getting yellow .5 labels.

I've also seen qualified yellow labels with 6.5 grades, for the same missing pin ups.

I have no idea what they're doing at times.

asm 3  qualified SS 6.5 wtf.jpg

asm 3 incompete .5.jpg

On 2/8/2021 at 7:09 PM, William-James88 said:

As long as the owner paid a fair price for it, I don't see anything wrong with submitting it for preservation and display purposes. It still looks really nice. A lot of us look at golden age books the way a museum curator would and want to save all the books that we can, regardless of condition because most of them are hard to find. I have a number of golden age .5 books that present really well and are rare in any condition. So I see it as doing my part to ensure that the book is well cared for and preserved for the next owner after I'm gone. 

47 minutes ago, Nic8612 said:

I have a number of golden age .5 books that present really well and are rare in any condition. So I see it as doing my part to ensure that the book is well cared for and preserved for the next owner after I'm gone. 

As do I. For those, and the majority of my GA collection, I use archival "bags and boards" (like Mylites). They are as good if not better for archival purposes, make the colours really stand out, take up less space and (best of all) give me a chance to take the book out to look inside if ever I want. 

The book in the link was slabbed recently, it didn't stick around long in anyone's collection as a slabbed book. So my money is on someone making a mistake and not looking inside the book before sending it in.

29 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

As do I. For those, and the majority of my GA collection, I use archival "bags and boards" (like Mylites). They are as good if not better for archival purposes, make the colours really stand out, take up less space and (best of all) give me a chance to take the book out to look inside if ever I want. 

The book in the link was slabbed recently, it didn't stick around long in anyone's collection as a slabbed book. So my money is on someone making a mistake and not looking inside the book before sending it in.

I like the preservation quality and information display of the CGC cases and for some of my books like the one below, they're so fragile I wouldn't want to take them out and turn the pages anyway. And there are only 9 of these on the census so I'd like to avoid destroying it any further haha20210210_130742.thumb.jpg.48bba79c6248159b428434a723b518cb.jpg