• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone know what comic or comic characters these are?

10 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I'm cross posting from the original art thread:

Link

Which I will repeat below.  I have a new 2005 Tim Sale piece and I don't know what it is (neither does Tim Sale):

It's in the description of my CAF posting but I have this unknown Tim Sale piece -  (Link here)

Tim was already asked. He does not know/remember. He did say that since it was done in 11x17 it is likely "paid work" (aka for a publisher) since back then he typically didn't do con sketches or commissions at that size.

He thinks it might be for a European publisher.

When I first saw this, I thought of Elastigirl of the Incredibles but its not her.

In terms of other questions I would ask to determine a piece, there is nothing on the back, no writing, no copyright stamp. There is no other writing or notes. It is on DC paper, which doesn't mean anything.

Even if you don't know if this was published, identifying the characters would help!

While I am asking, I might as well ask again about an older piece that is still unknown This Gary Frank Pinup/Cover with DC and Marvel Characters

Like Tim Sale, Gary Frank doesn't remember what this was for either, but it was not "just" a commission and is likely published.

Thanks for any help!

Malvin

11 hours ago, malvin said:

Hi Folks,

I'm cross posting from the original art thread:

Link

Which I will repeat below.  I have a new 2005 Tim Sale piece and I don't know what it is (neither does Tim Sale):

It's in the description of my CAF posting but I have this unknown Tim Sale piece -  (Link here)

Tim was already asked. He does not know/remember. He did say that since it was done in 11x17 it is likely "paid work" (aka for a publisher) since back then he typically didn't do con sketches or commissions at that size.

He thinks it might be for a European publisher.

When I first saw this, I thought of Elastigirl of the Incredibles but its not her.

In terms of other questions I would ask to determine a piece, there is nothing on the back, no writing, no copyright stamp. There is no other writing or notes. It is on DC paper, which doesn't mean anything.

Even if you don't know if this was published, identifying the characters would help!

While I am asking, I might as well ask again about an older piece that is still unknown This Gary Frank Pinup/Cover with DC and Marvel Characters

Like Tim Sale, Gary Frank doesn't remember what this was for either, but it was not "just" a commission and is likely published.

Thanks for any help!

Malvin

A STRETCH, but Gwen Stacy?

Thanks for everyone's thoughts so far.  Yeah, Tim Sale would have been a definitive source but he doesn't remember. I don't think it's Black Cat or Gwen Stacy though.  I wonder what that big creature she is standing on.  That might be a clue (if anyone knows who/what that is...)

Is the Gary Frank from Return to the Amalgam Age? He also did a couple Just Imagine Stan Lee books where it’s a what if Stan Lee created certain DC characters. Not sure if that pin up would be germane to the story but it’s something  

2497E199-DB70-4A6B-99E9-3052BAE56379.jpeg.2b8fe378fd5968c75960b879bcf1276a.jpeg

12 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

Since he said it was for hire, here is a link to books he’s credited as an artist on. Not sure if you’ve already tried this route, but wanted to put it out there. 

Link

Thanks for all your help!

I'll see what is on that link.

Malvin