• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To crack or not to crack?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Is the concern that CGC - seeing the grade of the book that the other company gave it - would be unduly influenced by that grade?  So if you are hoping to get a higher grade you crack it out and don't let them know what grade it previously received?  

Is that the same thing people do when they resubmit books directly to CGC that got a CGC grade they didn't like?  Crack it out and resubmit, just hoping that this time, maybe with a different grader, in a different mood, it will get a different grade?  

Edited by Axelrod

On 2/2/2021 at 9:06 AM, Axelrod said:

Is the concern that CGC - seeing the grade of the book that the other company gave it - would be unduly influenced by that grade?  So if you are hoping to get a higher grade you crack it out and don't let them know what grade it previously received?  

Is that the same thing people do when they resubmit books directly to CGC that got a CGC grade they didn't like?  Crack it out and resubmit, just hoping that this time, maybe with a different grader, in a different mood, it will get a different grade?  

I tend to agree with this. If you're smart enough to know that the CGC brand will enhance the value and bolster the confidence in the label grade it gets and the resto check, be smart enough not to let the book's prior grade by a different company possibly bias the submission. I'm not saying that might even be the case, but removing all evidence of other grading service's calls, grade and resto removes even the remotest possibility of that past decision being any influence whatsoever, even subliminally. You're paying CGC for their opinion thus past opinions by other services are a moot point, this being the one that matters now and the most. And quite frankly, other than CGC? You're playing in the minor leagues. 

One compelling reason to first crack the book out of the slab before sending it to CGC would be to ensure that the other grading company didn't miss anything that might cause CGC to assign the book a dramatically lower grade.

For example, I know CGC hammers stains but do not know how the other grading companies treat them...

As noted above there is zero bias from CGC graders here. They are pros IMO and the best in their business.  I would absolutely (carefully) crack the book open from its' case and personally inspect it from cover to cover as well as take some photos of it raw before packing and sending it off to CGC.  You might possibly discover something inside the book that you would prefer to know now prior to grading. my 2-cents :preach:

On 2/2/2021 at 12:06 PM, Axelrod said:

From what I can tell you, the graders at CGC will always make their own determination. And I would keep a previously slabbed book in the slab to offer extra protection during shipping...

On 03/02/2021 at 8:03 PM, silverseeker said:

One compelling reason to first crack the book out of the slab before sending it to CGC would be to ensure that the other grading company didn't miss anything that might cause CGC to assign the book a dramatically lower grade.

For example, I know CGC hammers stains but do not know how the other grading companies treat them...

Plus you can have someone else press/clean the book before sending it to cgc.

The only reason to send a book in a slab is to get the discount cgc gives you when they slab a book already slabbed by a competitor.