• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I Convert My Basketball Cards to Original Comic Art?

50 posts in this topic

Since I was a kid in the mid-80s, comics has always been my first love.

Sometime in the mid-90s, I briefly got into basketball cards - which I would buy in the local comic store actually.

With a little disposable income and returning to my love for comics, I started buying/collecting original comic art in 2011.

In 2018, I started buying autographed basketball cards because those did not exist during the 90's and I thought it was cool that now the cards were actually touched by the player.

Since I started collecting comic art, I have always limited my spending per piece - all usually below $2k.  I only have a two pieces over that amount which I spent $3k and $4k for each respectively.  But I have always been salivating at the idea of getting more high end pieces of comic art.

Fast forward to today, with the explosion of the sports card market - I have one card I bought in 2018 for $300 which consistently goes for over $7,000 now. Then there's another I got for $500 that has just sold for $9,000 in an open auction.

If I let go of these two cards, my total exposure is actually just $800 and I can go for a big $16,000 original art purchase. After all comics is my first love.

Is that a good idea or should I just wait it out because sports cards are still exponentially going up as a faster rate than comic art?  Or will the sports card market bubble burst soon?

Just want to know your thoughts!

You are golden either way.    I have some trepidation at current card prices and would be tempted to sell in your shoes, but I’d go with whatever you’re more into

Two friends of mine were arguing their hobbies, comics and cards and which was better.

The card friend said, “You collect drawings.” The comic friend said, “Well, you collect pictures of men!”

Out of context, they are both right!

Ten years from now, you gather with friends to watch Super Bowl LXV in 2031.  Halftime comes and your buddies say, “Heard you’re a collector, whacha got?”   So, what do you show them knowing (1) they won’t care how much you paid or how much it’s worth and (2) they won’t understand what exactly makes it scarce or desirable.  The only thing they will see is what it means to you and how proud you are sharing it with them. 

Would you feel happier and/or cooler showing them a couple of autographed cards or a piece of original comic art? hm

There are many angles to this. OA is one of kind. If you dump the cards, you can always get them back (probably in lower grades, but they are accessible in the market). Unless the signatures mean so much to you, then perhaps this will be a harder decision for you. Sometimes you have to part with a collectible to test if you long to get it back. At the same time, you can test if your newly acquired collectible is the real deal. :luhv:

4 hours ago, GreatEscape said:

Ten years from now, you gather with friends to watch Super Bowl LXV in 2031.  Halftime comes and your buddies say, “Heard you’re a collector, whacha got?”   So, what do you show them knowing (1) they won’t care how much you paid or how much it’s worth and (2) they won’t understand what exactly makes it scarce or desirable.  The only thing they will see is what it means to you and how proud you are sharing it with them. 

Would you feel happier and/or cooler showing them a couple of autographed cards or a piece of original comic art? hm

Bill Ward’s babes at half-time, no question (unless I had a Vargas girl lying around).

10 hours ago, brownies8701 said:

Curious, what are the 2 cards? 

Actually the two are just an example - it's a Kobe Bryant and Tiger Woods card.  I also have a couple of Lebron and Jordan cards that have gone up at least 8x in value.  All those cards I got in the 400ish range in 2018 and now they are $3k (Lebron), to $9k (Kobe, Tiger).  

Thanks for all the replies.  They are very insightful.  There will always be an autographed card of a particular player you like in the market, but a piece of OA is one of a kind.

Therefore, I will probably hold back disposing my cards until I find a page or piece that really means a lot to me.

Your insights are all much much appreciated and I welcome even more insights to this discussion.

I'd keep the cards. Sadly, there's not much you can buy in the comic art world for $16K anymore that is cooler than autographed cards by Kobe (RIP) and Tiger. $16K buys what, maybe half an Erik Larsen Spidey page these days? Unless you happen to like niche stuff that hasn't gone totally nuts in price, I think you're better off keeping the cards than trying to roll that money into mainstream hero art. :fear:

17 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I'd keep the cards. Sadly, there's not much you can buy in the comic art world for $16K anymore that is cooler than autographed cards by Kobe (RIP) and Tiger. $16K buys what, maybe half an Erik Larsen Spidey page these days? Unless you happen to like niche stuff that hasn't gone totally nuts in price, I think you're better off keeping the cards than trying to roll that money into mainstream hero art. :fear:

I mean, there's always hookers and coke.

Naturally, I'm talking about rugby and soda pop.