• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I Convert My Basketball Cards to Original Comic Art?

50 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I'd keep the cards. Sadly, there's not much you can buy in the comic art world for $16K anymore that is cooler than autographed cards by Kobe (RIP) and Tiger. $16K buys what, maybe half an Erik Larsen Spidey page these days? Unless you happen to like niche stuff that hasn't gone totally nuts in price, I think you're better off keeping the cards than trying to roll that money into mainstream hero art. :fear:

This is madness. They are CARDS! :sumo:

No lose situation IMO

What is more important to you? The enjoyment or financial gain? 

If it's enjoyment, do what your heart is telling you (sounds like art to me). 

If it is financial gain, sounds like holding the cards for a while is the way to go. If so, don't sell off blue chip cards if you aren't turning that into blue chip art. 

This is coming from a collector who tends to keep things, which reminds me that I need to check my sports cards collection again. 

Good luck with whatever you decide

Edited by JadeGiant

On 2/5/2021 at 6:24 AM, delekkerste said:

I'd keep the cards. Sadly, there's not much you can buy in the comic art world for $16K anymore that is cooler than autographed cards by Kobe (RIP) and Tiger. $16K buys what, maybe half an Erik Larsen Spidey page these days? Unless you happen to like niche stuff that hasn't gone totally nuts in price, I think you're better off keeping the cards than trying to roll that money into mainstream hero art. :fear:

While I am mostly a lurker here, I have been following your posts sometimes.  And while you tend to elicit some disagreements from many, I tend to think in the same wavelength as most of your musings.  I think I also agree with you here.

17 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

No lose situation IMO

What is more important to you? The enjoyment or financial gain? 

If it's enjoyment, do what your heart is telling you (sounds like art to me). 

If it is financial gain, sounds like holding the cards for a while is the way to go. If so, don't sell off blue chip cards if you aren't turning that into blue chip art. 

This is coming from a collector who tends to keep things, which reminds me that I need to check my sports cards collection again. 

Good luck with whatever you decide

Well, a $9k card is not blue chip by any means, but neither is a $9k page.  

I think I have found the answer to my own question through all you incredible insights.

The only reason to sell the cards is to have "ammunition" or "reserves" in case a that piece of comic art comes along.  The problem is, I haven't seen anything in the market or upcoming auctions to move me yet.  So what's the point in selling the cards, when their values continue to go up.  Maybe if a comic art piece really comes along.

Ok I gave it a lot of thought, I too am a man often with split minds. So I have the PERFECT solution for the cards or art dilemma:

Sell em and go all in with SKETCH CARDS BABY!!!!

just kidding.. I’d buy art. But I spend my time on the comic art websites and not sports cards websites. 

I know nothing about printed images on cardboard but I get really excited when people scratch out lines on paper.

I do a lot with cards and art, so I see the value of both options.

My view is sorta on those lines.

Keep autographs that fall into these categories (the more they align the better):

1. On card (no sticker).

2. Licensed by the league its from.

3. RY material/ earliest examples over later signed (when possible).

4. ESPN/Marketing tied athletes.

5. HOF guaranteed.

6. No longer signing (or rarely like Sandy Kofax).

7. Clean design cards with large dedicated area for signing (busy autos seem to suffer IMO).

8. Graded over Non-Graded (especially ones with clear issues of corners or surface wear).

9. Major brands over lesser (I.E. if you can keep a Prizm auto or Mosaic auto with all other factors being equal lean to the Prizm. Same goes for UD older cards like from SP authentic or Panini Flawless/National Treasures.

Ones that don't fall into those categories (especially on multiple fronts) i would be apt to move for comic art.

Hope that helps.

Edited by zhamlau

I would let your intuition and passion drive your decision and not a focus group assuming you are passionate about the collectible and not just the money.  I personally find whenever I tune out the crowd, ignore GPA, roll my eyes at the prognosticators and just focus on what I alone covet and truly appreciate - I end up happier down the road.    So for example if you really have a keen eye for original art and know what you love there - art might be the better decision - assuming it is isn't out of your price range now.  If, however, you get greater joy from owning your cards - then keep them.  Personally I might sell all your cards and buy the best AF15 I can afford but that is me you see and clearly not you.  Spider-Man is eternal in my mind - while Kobe and Tiger are having their much deserved time in the hobby-limelight but that too shall pass.   Good luck and well done in your card buying! <3 My 2 cents :preach:

11 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

I’d sell mine if I had one 😳

4B1C8B90-BD25-4851-B8AF-90F2595E9BB2.jpeg

$1.44 million for a card with maybe a 1.5 square inch swatch of non-descript white jersey, not high grade (NM 7 out of 10, which is terrible for a 1997 card), an imperfect auto (8 out of 10 when a 9 is often unacceptable to many), Jordan not in his iconic Bulls uniform, card not a 1/1 or even /5 or /10, and the card was issued 11 years after his first major card release.  

But, it's the first year of patch auto cards and a small group of moneyed collectors/investors love them.  Never mind that you can literally buy 20 full (jersey & shorts) game-worn Michael Jordan Bulls uniforms for the same price (in fact, you can buy a share of one at a $70K valuation over at Rally Road right now). 

At least four 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan PSA 10 rookies have sold for $720K over the past week (2 at Goldin Auctions, and then they claim to have brokered the sale of two more privately the next day).  This is insultingly stupid IMO - the price has risen 20x over the past year and it is now ludicrously expensive relative even to other top-tier A+++ collectibles.  

Edited by delekkerste

8 hours ago, delekkerste said:

$1.44 million for a card with maybe a 1.5 square inch swatch of non-descript white jersey, not high grade (NM 7 out of 10, which is terrible for a 1997 card), an imperfect auto (8 out of 10 when a 9 is often unacceptable to many), Jordan not in his iconic Bulls uniform, card not a 1/1 or even /5 or /10, and the card was issued 11 years after his first major card release.  

But, it's the first year of patch auto cards and a small group of moneyed collectors/investors love them.  Never mind that you can literally buy 20 full (jersey & shorts) game-worn Michael Jordan Bulls uniforms for the same price (in fact, you can buy a share of one at a $70K valuation over at Rally Road). 

At least four 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan PSA 10 rookies have sold for $720K over the past week (2 at Goldin Auctions, and then they claim to have brokered the sale of two more privately the next day).  This is insultingly stupid IMO - the price has risen 20x over the past year and it is now ludicrously expensive relative even to other top-tier A+++ collectibles.  

Agreed. I wonder how many of these Jersey cards will come out into the market after this sale. Not sure how long this will last.

The Certified Link auction ends tonight, tons of high end 2017 Mahomes RC's and RY cards. I wonder how last nights game will impact their sales. That's why I'm "catch and release" with cards. Unless its Brady, Jordan, Gretzky, or Mantle the players value is still subject to rises and falls based on their on field performance....of course I collect at least one active player and two retired mid-tier players so I'm not exactly always following that rule.

https://www.certifiedlink.com/auctions/default.asp?clickType=&TypeRads=all&ord1=5&ord1d=ASC&ord2=4&ord2d=ASC&ord3=0&ord3d=ASC&top_search_hiddentext=&pg=&control_loc=low&nextsectlow=&nextsectlowval=&nextsect=70&nextsectval=FOOTBALL&nextsecthold=&nextsectholdval=&nexttype=&lefthandpick=1&focused=1&code=&beenheredonethat=1&overridesort2default=1&view=2021jancert

11 hours ago, delekkerste said:

But, it's the first year of patch auto cards and a small group of moneyed collectors/investors love them.  Never mind that you can literally buy 20 full (jersey & shorts) game-worn Michael Jordan Bulls uniforms for the same price (in fact, you can buy a share of one at a $70K valuation over at Rally Road right now). 

The next years version of this card (98-99) is being pushed on Goldin Auctions right now, only at 5% of that and its graded Gem Mint AND is from an actual regular season gamer....so probably what 800k-1mil?

https://goldinauctions.com/1998_99_Upper_Deck__Jordan_Jersey_Autographs___MJx-LOT75197.aspxJordan.JPG.1444cc01309993827e817c3f890ecf79.JPG

3 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

The next years version of this card (98-99) is being pushed on Goldin Auctions right now, only at 5% of that and its graded Gem Mint AND is from an actual regular season gamer....so probably what 800k-1mil?

https://goldinauctions.com/1998_99_Upper_Deck__Jordan_Jersey_Autographs___MJx-LOT75197.aspxJordan.JPG.1444cc01309993827e817c3f890ecf79.JPG

$1.5 million+

:fear:  

(actually I don't know, but, it wouldn't shock me in this market)