• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unforced error, Immortal Hulk 43 Edition.
2 2

68 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Juno Beach said:

Link to where people are trying to cancel his career? Talented is debatable. I think his art is plain bad. 

there's links on every comic related site you can think of. bleedingmoron, CBR, etc obvisously if someone saw these and is reporting it to all the comic gossip sites, people are trying to do the guy harm. are you ok ? have you not been doing your usual lately?

4 hours ago, Gabagool said:

there's links on every comic related site you can think of. bleedingmoron, CBR, etc obvisously if someone saw these and is reporting it to all the comic gossip sites, people are trying to do the guy harm. are you ok ? have you not been doing your usual lately?

I just read the sites you mentioned. Yes, they are reporting that Marvel is not going to reprint it due to this incident. I did not see any opinion by them, just a synopsis. Do you think a comic book site shouldn't report something like that? 

I have no idea what the bolded part of your post means. 

16 hours ago, 15Years said:

I was thinking English might be his second language? hm

I can believe this might just be a misspelling because he also spelled David Cronenburg's name wrong. 

So did you. Not easy to spell it forwards or backwards.

On 2/5/2021 at 12:45 AM, Gaard said:

I don't understand why the mis-spelling of jewelry is bad. Could someone explain it to me?

A yellow star of David sloppily painted on a window front has deep historical connections. And what appears to spell "Jewery". 

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

@redrocks

He ignored my instagram private message that I sent two months ago and then made his IG account private.  I don't think he is coming back here anytime soon. 

On 2/5/2021 at 2:52 AM, Gaard said:

I see. Kinda like the stereotype Asian portrayal of being bad drivers?

No - this is much worse than that. One of the old (and on-going) antisemitic theories about the Jewish community is centered around Jews being greedy, wealthy, and the ones who control the world. The distortion of the Star of David also brings to mind antisemitic drawings that distort the so-called stereotypical facial features for people who are Jewish. Antisemitism doesn't need to be intentional to be antisemitic. This is an image playing with themes that have been used for centuries to commit atrocities against the Jewish community. I'm glad Marvel is doing something about this - but it shouldn't have made it to print in the first place.  

On 2/5/2021 at 2:35 PM, Juno Beach said:

For people who didn't read the whole article this explains it deeper:

There was one small, subtle moment in this issue that I need to call attention to, and I’m sorry to say it isn’t for a happy reason. Early in the issue, Joe stops into a jewelry store to buy a diamond bracelet with some money that he recently pickpocketed. As he does, we get a glimpse of the store’s window display, which bears the name “CRONEMBERG” and, in painted gold relief below it, a prominent Magen David, the Star of David.

Even in the best possible interpretation, this is odd. The scene has otherwise no connection to Judaism or the Jewish ownership of the shop; there are no Jewish themes to which the comic is trying to point us. The only conceivable interpretation, to put it frankly, is that this is a visual play on the old and antisemitic trope of Jews running the diamond business: a centuries-old cliché rooted in stereotypes of Jewish merchants as unscrupulous profiteers willing to do business with shady criminals (which, indeed, the shop is doing in this scene) [Ed. Note: One thing we didn’t see when this article was first published was that instead of the store being labelled as a JEWELRY store, the word JEWERY was written instead. It was slightly hard to notice, being written backwards, but is pretty blatant. This makes for an incredibly overt antisemetic dogwhistle in this book.]

This is not an overt moment. I imagine it would be easy for most readers to overlook entirely. But as a Jewish reader coming to this comic, the sight of a Jewish symbol stenciled on the outside of that window was hard to ignore, and hard to justify. Perhaps this was called for in the comic --script itself (though that seems unlikely to me), or perhaps it was the addition of the issue’s art team, penciler Joe Bennet or inkers Ruy José and Belardino Brabo. It may be worth noting here that Bennett has, in previous years, expressed some less-than-admirable social viewpoints: in 2019, after controversial journalist Glenn Greenwald was struck by a supporter of far-right Brazilian autocrat Jair Bolsonaro, Bennett posted on facebook that “the slap was mine, too! Should have thrown a punch,” before he deleted the post and publicly apologized. Marvel’s reticence to stop using Bennett on their books has been troubling, and has required, for my part, a certain willingness to hold my nose when analyzing this series. Whether or not this particular instance was at his initiative, I felt it needed to be mentioned.

Here's how Wikipedia described him:

Jair Bolsonaro is known for his strong opposition to left-wing policies. Most notably, he has been a vocal opponent of same-sex marriage,[3]environmental regulations,[127] abortion,[5] affirmative action (particularly racial quotas),[6] immigration[128] (particularly from Haiti, Africa and the Middle East, which he once called "the scum of humanity"),[118] drug liberalization,[7] land reforms,[129] and secularism at the federal level,[7]among other things.[130] He has also made statements in defense of the Brazilian military regime[131] (a dictatorship known for constant human rights violations).[132] He argues that torture is a "legitimate practice" and says that he would try to pass new legislation regarding the introduction of life imprisonment to the Brazilian penal code.[133] Bolsonaro supports the privatization of state-owned companies and advocates free market policies,[134] although critics have stated that his policy-making record does not in fact show him to be a supporter of economic liberalism.

Note to mods: If this falls under 'politics', please feel free to delete it. I was posting it to show who Bolsonaro is (or how's he's portrayed by Wikipedia), to give some reference to the above post.

On 2/6/2021 at 3:46 PM, Turnando said:

Not offended.  Just calling it what it is.  People are tired of bigotry going unchallenged.  Society is constantly evolving.  Folks who are upset by the pace of change respond like you have.  It is human nature to resist change from a state that is comfortable, I understand why it happens.

I'm a Slayer fan so I know your handle "Angel of Death" is usually a reference to Josef Mengele, the Nazi doctor who experimented on humans. Interesting that you jumped in so quickly here.

"What it is" is poor editorial oversight. It's not antisemitism. :facepalm:

On 2/6/2021 at 3:46 PM, Turnando said:

I'm a Slayer fan so I know your handle "Angel of Death" is usually a reference to Josef Mengele, the Nazi doctor who experimented on humans. Interesting that you jumped in so quickly here.

Are you a Batman fan also ? Another “Angel of Death “ would be Azrael. A single “nomenclature “ has many meanings , which is why the human language is so difficult to master . Back to the “ homage “ part that was allegedly intended , David Cronenberg was raised Jewish but has since become Athiest . He may be the top of the food chain on body horror movies . 

On 2/7/2021 at 8:43 PM, Prince Namor said:

Note to mods: If this falls under 'politics', please feel free to delete it. I was posting it to show who Bolsonaro is (or how's he's portrayed by Wikipedia), to give some reference to the above post.

So now we have religion intertwined with politics ? Should we add abortion to the mix ? (shrug)

2 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

So now we have religion intertwined with politics ? Should we add abortion to the mix ? (shrug)

Funny you say that.its the one thing religion and politics have in common!