• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatever happened to Greg Manning Auctions?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2021 at 3:40 PM, grapeape said:

C6F0ED47-2C00-4E60-A68C-A246DCE97CB6.thumb.jpeg.1fcc8e62e076e81a8c527cbe6fe23d33.jpeg

Where did this piece wind up?
Did Albert Moy own it? 
if it came up again for sale it would be fun to see how much it would fetch. Would love more provenance details to understand the original owner acquiring it and how?

And it “sold” for $6k previously then comes up for this auction with estimate 2k-6K?

4 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Didn't Manning have a flood that destroyed a lot of inventory

In this previous CGC thread, a couple of board members discuss some Mile Highs ruined in the flood. One member reached out to Bill Hughes, but Bill could not provide details on which issues were affected:

8E571068-E579-4C93-BD5F-7EEF806290F9.thumb.jpeg.7037dac06fa2d841425313393bca9351.jpegKirby and Wood yeah man!!!

Take a minute to study what Mac Raboy does with Flash Gordon. I had a great page and let it go. A woman came into a comic store in Vegas 1999 and sold six pieces to the owner. I bought a fantastic Sunday from him by Raboy. In person maybe the best artwork I’ve ever studied. 

5 hours ago, adamstrange said:
On 2/4/2021 at 8:09 AM, tth2 said:

"Whatever happened to Greg Manning Auctions?"

They were bought out by Heritage.

News to me.  I heard that they were unsatisfied with the results of the comic book unit and shut it down.

Could’ve sworn that Heritage bought out their customer lists.

if not, it’s pretty remarkable how one day I was bidding on GMAI auctions and then the next day I was suddenly on Heritage’s mailing lists.

25 minutes ago, tth2 said:

if not, it’s pretty remarkable how one day I was bidding on GMAI auctions and then the next day I was suddenly on Heritage’s mailing lists.

I'm pretty sure that Heritage bought out Bill Hughes' list that was probably provided to GMAI auctions.  I never dealt with Greg Manning but was on Bill Hughes' mailing list.  I started getting the Heritage catalogs once Greg Manning stopped doing them.

I was reading up on them and I totally forgot that they bought out Mark Wilson's comics and Disney assets. 

8 hours ago, tth2 said:

There are alternatives as to how that happened without Heritage buying them out...

11 hours ago, tth2 said:

I wasn't sure, I've been on everybody's lists since the beginning, but sounds probable based on your experience.

11 hours ago, greggy said:

I was reading up on them and I totally forgot that they bought out Mark Wilson's comics and Disney assets. 

Having an interest (at the time) in all those Ken Kelly 1978 REH calendar paintings that were with FPG (Michael Friedlander), then Mark (Wilson, so horribly overpriced), and then dispersed in many ways...it was fun to follow them over a ten year period. Most eventually ended up with Heritage and sold for a fraction of Mark's catalog prices six or seven years before!

I think a fair amount of the original art Bill Hughes was bringing in to Manning ended up going through Mastronet (Bill Mastro, scandal!) a few years later. IIRC BH was listed as a consultant or similar in those catalogs? Could be wrong on that, catalogs not handy, so working off nearly 20 year old memory lol 

On 2/4/2021 at 9:16 PM, grapeape said:

Where did this piece wind up?
Did Albert Moy own it? 
if it came up again for sale it would be fun to see how much it would fetch. Would love more provenance details to understand the original owner acquiring it and how?

And it “sold” for $6k previously then comes up for this auction with estimate 2k-6K?

I actually was the person who surfaced this piece in the mid-90's.  It was owned for many years by a collector who ran a Fanzine publication, but was also selling off his original art at a local Washington DC show.  I bought out most of the art he was selling at the shows so he invited me over to his house.  In his personal collection, he owned this Ditko piece along with an amazing Spidey vs. Goblin page from ASM #23.  I really wanted the ASM #23 page, but he wouldn't sell it to me (as he wasn't ready to part with it), but as a consolation he sold me this one.  Despite me telling him I'd pay whatever price he wanted when the time was right, he later sold that ASM #23 page to another collector - shows that being patient doesn't always pay off.  I think I paid around $200-300 for this piece when I bought it - he did give me a great deal on it.  

Circa 1995-6, I talked to Mike Burkey for the first time and mentioned I had this piece. Every time I talked with him, he always tried to get this out of me - and eventually it worked (hey Mike's a nice guy).  Still in my learning stages, I didn't realize how rare something like this actually was and the figures seemed more cartoony than I wanted from a Ditko example.  Plus, it was folded in quarters and had a light cigarette stain on it the border.  I wasn't sure something like this could be restored (but, even by the time of this auction it looks like they cleaned it up).  

I assume Burkey had sold it before this auction or consigned it himself.  

Will it come up for sale again?  I doubt it... I know where it landed and it's well-loved. 

But, great to see it again here and re-live those early days of collecting art. 

6 minutes ago, grapeape said:

DDB910D6-B3B1-4216-AB0B-98BC03535741.thumb.jpeg.6dc0d31b3ad1bf923f74685420ca5559.jpeg

This may also have been a consignment from Conrad. He’s the only one I knew between 97-2000 actively showing FF 5 pages.

He also had a page where the FF were working around crocodiles for $7K ask in that 1997 catalog.