• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatever happened to Greg Manning Auctions?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

4CFAB247-5C25-4740-BBDE-05C437CEEBE9.thumb.jpeg.271d6a56afb6269a5da8e7c777ea626f.jpeg

7F24A70B-14BB-431D-B352-D2F3B46280F5.thumb.jpeg.65f186cb2e661eba5685f9988fc34e4c.jpeg
They had excellent catalogs. Greg Manning CEO/President, William Hughes VP Collectibles and Rob Hughes Comic Book Consultant.

You had to call in or wait to be notified to find out if you won.

I have all the pics from the Spring 2000 catalog. This was before transitioning to online bidding.

Anyone have documentation of final sale/bid amounts?

Anyone have memories of participating in this auction?

2 hours ago, tth2 said:

"Whatever happened to Greg Manning Auctions?"

They were bought out by Heritage.

GMA were notable for holding the first really big auction of CGC'd books.  The prices that were reported were jaw dropping.  That auction really signaled to the hobby that collectors were willing to pay a big premium for slabbed books.

:banana:  I won several books in that auction

Yes some great comics....a Detective 27..... The catalog was very impressive with comics and art. The presentation was neat for that time period. The Superman cover too. That’s why I saved this catalog. I wish I’d kept everything... had so much related to comic art.

Oh well guess I just have to rely on Lee Blol

In the Spring of 2001, I remember venturing out to Greg Manning's for an auction at their facility in New Jersey.

CGC was in their infancy (and still based in New Jersey) and was starting to pick up a lot of steam in the hobby. It was at this time that a big coin guy, Jay Parrino, was starting to pour money into the comic hobby. Jay was present, in person, at this particular auction.

This auction featured a huge amount of high grade CGC pre-code horror books (notably from the Bethlehem collection. Marnin Rosenberg may have been the consignor).

Jay was basically buying EVERY high grade CGC book in the auction and at nosebleed prices at the time! Within a short period (months) after this auction, Jay put out his first comic catalog from "The Mint" and the books were even at higher nosebleed prices! (but, would be bargains today!)

Jay, like other "Whales" before him, had the right idea when entering the hobby - buying the best quality material but, like others before him, did not have the patience to ride out the wave in the hobby and stick around.

He ended up selling all the comics and went back to coins.

If he just had some patience......

Edited by DanCooper

⬆️Wow thanks for that info DanCooper. I remember Rosenberg had a high grade copy of Young Men 24 I really wanted. I sure do remember Jay and the Mint. Everything you said was right. Some guys are wired different. He played big shot but likely got bored. Jay saw a good thing and he did it well but yeah if he’d held on to that collection!!

Speaking of: where is this original art? Was this John Romita? I think it was,,,,

E3856CDD-59A7-4615-ADC4-F9F7AAE0881B.jpeg.3035c9edde164c8294f9f05ad9badaea.jpeg

Edited by grapeape