• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AS 8 continues to nose dive
2 2

86 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I would guess for a current 2021 market price with a solid  5 million for the 9.0 with white pages and 4.5 for the other copy with inferior page quality. The 8.5 is very interesting in my opinion it is much more valuable than the 2.2 Bat #1...but its 8.5....not 9 or 9.2, I would put it at a firm 3 million. what do you think?

Those seem like reasonable numbers. The only thing I'll say about the 8.5, is it has this indefinite stain on it's record if you will because it has rusted staples. Was originally detailed on an earlier label, but removed during that sale in 2018 after it had been reholdered. I know most people know about this so not sure if that fact could affect the price should it sell again. I personally thought that sale of $2,052,000 was a bit weak at the time, but other's argued it was still very solid as I recall. Maybe the rusted staple history played a role though hm. Regardless, I could definitely see it hitting 3 mil now as you said.

5 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Pretty low number out of the gate imo for a 8.5 Sensation 1 

Well, not sure if the bids have gone up since your post here, but the high bid so far doesn't look that low to me at $72K or something likea 20% discount to condition guide on its first day out of the gate.  hm

Considering that we were talking about the nose diving auction results for AS 8 with the last 4 copies of them averaging out to a final result that were running in the range of a 15% discount to guide, not sure if a 20% discount to condition guide is really all that bad since we still have 12+ more days of bidding to go on this book here.  (thumbsu  :taptaptap:

4 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Highest graded AS 8 and Sensation 1 gone from CC website.  Assuming if they sold it would have made some news.  

AS8

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/884783

Sens1

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/884784

Edited by Gotham Kid

4 minutes ago, ChillMan said:

To be clear....I really would like to know who has a 9.4 copy of Human Torch #3(#2).  There are 2 on the census.  And if there are any better copies that exist.  I don't own one.

Always loved that book..in the early days of collecting it was up there both in value and demand. In the last 50 years it has faded a little, I don't know why, it is one of the greatest and most valuable GA books on the planet....in my opinion

On 2/12/2021 at 5:47 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Pretty low number out of the gate imo for a 8.5 Sensation 1 

On 2/12/2021 at 9:28 PM, Northwest said:

With respect to Sensation 1: there are nearly 2 weeks left in the auction. How a book does in the first day may not be a great indicator of the final price. Any serious bidders are likely watching and waiting. 

:martini:

Looking a bit more lively now.  Bid at $130k with over 3 days to go.  

7 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Feel like it's safe to say the "slightly brittle" page quality is what killed this book. Considering a 6.0 sold for $85K in an August C-Link auction just last year, anything brittle is clearly a borderline death sentence lol.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 5.33.56 PM.png

While not all SB books are equal in the slightness of their brittle, I find it surprising that a book with such a designation could grade that high. It must be awfully pretty otherwise.

On 2/23/2021 at 8:36 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

Feel like it's safe to say the "slightly brittle" page quality is what killed this book. Considering a 6.0 sold for $85K in an August C-Link auction just last year, anything brittle is clearly a borderline death sentence lol.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 5.33.56 PM.png

I see 3 different All Star #8's in CGC 4.0 that sold on Heritage in 2020:

Slightly brittle pages for $36,000 in April.

Cream/off-white pages for $31,200 in July.

Off-white pages for $34,800 in November.

On 2/8/2021 at 9:54 PM, batman_fan said:

It will be interesting to see how the Sensation 1 coming up on CLINK does.

Sensation1_8p5.jpg

160,000. Up 28,000 since 16 months ago. If the person who bought it then was the seller now, which most likely they were, I'd say they broke about even. If it was me I'd have held on to it a bit longer.