• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wrong Label: Book is misidentified by CGC as 1st Printing

5 posts in this topic

This Johnny The Homicidal Maniac #2 was mis-identified by CGC as a 1st printing. The real 1st printing doesn't have an issue number or cover price on the front cover, as any quick search will confirm. This is 100% a later printing (probably a 2nd or 3rd print, which are marked in large font on the inside BACK cover instead of the front indicia. Potentially is is actually a 16th or 21st printing!!). I sent the seller a friendly email a few weeks ago alerting them to this but didn't hear anything back. I'm not a CGC expert like most of y'all, I only own about 25 slabs and they are just 90's titles like this that I'm nostalgic for, often off-grade copies I bought for a song... So I'm just curious how common this kind of mistake is? Is there any recourse for someone who owns a mislabeled book? I'm not planning on cracking any of my slabs open, but as someone who already owns about 10 JTHM books that are certified as being 1st Prints, this isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

JTHM_WRONG_CGC.jpg

And here's another one I just stumbled across! This is a 2012 collection of issues 1-5 with an $8.99 cover price (effectively a TPB!) slabbed and labeled as though it is the much rarer 2008 variant cover of issue #1. And someone just "won" it for $232 

BigHero6CGC.jpg

955915.jpg

I just bought a few CGC graded 2nd prints that are not noted as second prints (I knew they were 2nd prints).  The slabs also had loose bits of plastic floating around inside the cases.

On 2/3/2021 at 8:27 PM, snarfer said:

So I'm just curious how common this kind of mistake is? Is there any recourse for someone who owns a mislabeled book?

To be honest, things like this do happen fairly often. Part of the problem is there are so many variants and different printings with modern books that it's really difficult to keep track of them all. And even if they've been accurately entered into the system, they can still receive an incorrect label due to human error. 

You can still contact CGC and try to get the error corrected, but that would involve sending the book back to them for a new label. From what I've heard, they will often fix it at no extra charge to the customer. But these days, even simple procedures will undoubtedly take longer than usual...   :cry: