• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Qualified or Conserved ?

40 posts in this topic

I have a book missing the centerfold , i have the centerfold from another book . Besides the centerfold issue the book is about a 4.0 . 
If I were to send it to CGC , what label would i get Qualified or Conserved ? 
I’m asking cause i have seen books with the same flaw but with different labels . 

Definitely Restored. Are you looking to keep it?  In that case I would probably marry it and not bother grading. If you're selling it I would go a similar route and not marry it but in the listing include the centerfold from the other book and sell it by saying something about how the buyer will have the option to marry it if they choose.  

I did that once selling a Hulk 1 that was missing the final ad page and it sold for more than I expected based on the market value at the time. 

10 hours ago, serling1978 said:

Definitely Restored. Are you looking to keep it?  In that case I would probably marry it and not bother grading. If you're selling it I would go a similar route and not marry it but in the listing include the centerfold from the other book and sell it by saying something about how the buyer will have the option to marry it if they choose.  

I did that once selling a Hulk 1 that was missing the final ad page and it sold for more than I expected based on the market value at the time. 

On 2/4/2021 at 6:44 AM, Angel of Death said:

It would be Restored.

Why would a missing centerfold get a restored label ? I thought that was a Green Qualified with married centerfold? 

I'm in a similar situation  I will soon have an AF15 that is missing a back cover. I have a back cover from another copy. My plan was to crack it out and put the back cover with it... Nothing abrasive, no leaf casting, or tape, just putting them together and resub for a green qualified label. Do you guys think that would get me a restored label? 

My interpretation is, conservation is when you take action to preserve or extend the life of a book. Replacing rusty staples or cleaning off mold.. Leaf casting counts as conservation. 

2 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Why would a missing centerfold get a restored label ? I thought that was a Green Qualified with married centerfold? 

I'm in a similar situation  I will soon have an AF15 that is missing a back cover. I have a back cover from another copy. My plan was to crack it out and put the back cover with it... Nothing abrasive, no leaf casting, or tape, just putting them together and resub for a green qualified label. Do you guys think that would get me a restored label? 

My interpretation is, conservation is when you take action to preserve or extend the life of a book. Replacing rusty staples or cleaning off mold.. Leaf casting counts as conservation. 

I was under the impression that the OP was marrying the centerfold, but looking back I may have misinterpreted the post? 

If the other centerfold is just slipped in there with no attempt to reattach it then I believe it would be qualified with a green label. Hopefully someone here who has submitted a book that way can confirm. 

9 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Not a restored label unless the book has resto...

Edited by The Lions Den

On 2/4/2021 at 6:38 AM, Lukesaurus said:

I have a book missing the centerfold , i have the centerfold from another book . Besides the centerfold issue the book is about a 4.0 . 
I’m asking cause i have seen books with the same flaw but with different labels . 

17258821%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

On 04/02/2021 at 1:38 AM, Lukesaurus said:

Qualified

On 2/6/2021 at 7:20 AM, KCOComics said:

According to CGC's own "Restored" guidelines, "adding pieces" is restoration. (shrug)

3 hours ago, Lukesaurus said:

So a Qualified label is better than a Conserved one . 

Not in my opinion.

My Planet 15 was purchased as a CGC 1.5 qualified with a married but detached cover that was completely split at the spine and 2 interior wraps detached. Basically in pieces. I would have left it in the 1.5 slab but the cover shifted down  inside the slab and it looked terrible so I made the decision to send it in and CCS assessed the book and informed me they could make it conserved.

It depends greatly on the book you are talking about. The book has to have value enough to be worth getting conservation work done.

Planet Comics 15 is very hard to find, and I am absolutely certain a CGC 4.5 conserved with good visual appeal is worth far more than a 1.5 qualified with a detached cover.

May I ask what book you are talking about?

Edited by Artboy99

2 minutes ago, Lukesaurus said:

A Batman 8 . Not really rare . 

Unless the book has strong sentimental value I wouldn't submit it for grading and just keep it raw and in a mylar.

If the book is more easily found then I would only consider a CGC blue label over qualified/restored/conserved. Qualified generally means there is something wrong with the book and most common is something missing/ incomplete book. I would rather own a restored complete book over a qualified book if the book is a little harder to obtain. 

In order for a book to be considered Conserved it has to have top quality restoration work done with the best materials. Conserved also only allows certain things to be done.

Generally my preference is: Blue > Conserved > Restored > Qualified.  Again it depends on what book and grades and overall price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-8-CGC-4-0-VG-DC-1942-1st-App-Professor-Radium/233488839752?hash=item365d04f448:g:v5UAAOSwfehePgk2

There is a CGC blue label 4.0 currently for sale on Ebay. You could buy that copy, and sell yours to recoup some of the funds if it is a book you must have slabbed. Otherwise keep the one you have in a mylar.