• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st appearance Calvin Ellis debate
1 1

76 posts in this topic

Final Crisis 7 is the first appearance of Calvin Ellis, aka black superman. Why does Action comics 9 say first full appearance on the slab when it is his 2nd appearance? Is this going to be 1st Gambit debate all over again where a few people get to decide which book is the key?

17 minutes ago, tylerindo said:

Final Crisis 7 is the first appearance of Calvin Ellis, aka black superman. Why does Action comics 9 say first full appearance on the slab when it is his 2nd appearance? Is this going to be 1st Gambit debate all over again where a few people get to decide which book is the key?

I am not familiar with the issue but is this character throughout the entire story in Final Crisis 7? Does he actually become Superman in Action Comics 9?

If he appears in a panel or two, it would explain Crisis 7 being a cameo and Action Comics 9 his first full. Otherwise, yes, someone has just decided that it is what it is. Things can change however if the masses get on board but the masses never really got on board with Gambit's first appearance so.....

15 minutes ago, tylerindo said:

The fact that he was or wasn't superman shouldn't matter. Look at Tim Fox, first appearance is Batman 313 and he wasn't Batman at all in that one. Sometimes I really really hate this industry. 

I’d say contact Cgc and ask them

I'm going to ask key collector. CGC isn't the authority on anything no more than you or I are. Not to say that Key collector is either, but I've already bought a 9.8 graded copy and now need Final Crisis 7 to be the one!

Edited by tylerindo
cuz

Then I shall be the greatest of the great fools! Anyway, black Superman will be the next one to pop off so the prices are still very low for this character. As of yesterday I counted only 72 graded copies of Final Crisis 7, Action 9 has maybe 90 graded. 

19 minutes ago, tylerindo said:

Then I shall be the greatest of the great fools! Anyway, black Superman will be the next one to pop off so the prices are still very low for this character. As of yesterday I counted only 72 graded copies of Final Crisis 7, Action 9 has maybe 90 graded. 

No disrespect to Kal-El, but I don't see the hype for him like you do Miles Morales for Marvel. 

The reason a character like Mile Morales is so hot right not is because, since he was introduced, they have continued to write stories about him. He was a big deal when he debuted and he has maintained fans ever since. Now, with movie/TV speculation, even more people are getting on board that may have missed his first appearance. 

With regards to Calvin Ellis, that character was introduced briefly and, to my knowledge, has not be used at all really since. Sure, they are planning to bring him back but I would be hesitant to assume that book is the next book that could hit even $100. It is going to take a really great story, some continued success of the character and then some potential move hype to get it there....and I don't know if that is in the cards for Kal-El. Maybe...you could be laughing in 5-7 years time at this post. But if you enjoy the character regardless of whether it "pops off", then definitely get any and all considered first appearances.

34 minutes ago, tylerindo said:

Instead of speculating on something that might pop or might fade into obscurity, why not speculate on keys with a proven track record of sustained value? 

35 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Instead of speculating on something that might pop or might fade into obscurity, why not speculate on keys with a proven track record of sustained value? 

I'd rather go for a bigger gain. I look at books at this level as penny stocks. The potential for a 5 or 10x is greather than a higher value book.

1 hour ago, tylerindo said:

Well if this is a "penny stock" investment for you, I shouldn't have wasted my time. Hope you score big.

4 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Well if this is a "penny stock" investment for you, I shouldn't have wasted my time. Hope you score big.

You came here and completely missed the topic of the dicussion. Now my time has been wasted. In case you missed the subject line I will repost it.

Which issue is his first appearance? 

2 hours ago, tylerindo said:

The fact that he was or wasn't superman shouldn't matter. Look at Tim Fox, first appearance is Batman 313 and he wasn't Batman at all in that one. Sometimes I really really hate this industry. 

Don't confuse the industry with the hobby.

28 minutes ago, tylerindo said:

You came here and completely missed the topic of the dicussion. Now my time has been wasted. In case you missed the subject line I will repost it.

lol

28 minutes ago, tylerindo said:

Which issue is his first appearance? 

He only appears briefly in Final Crisis 7, so if he actually hadn't appeared prior to that, it would be his first brief appearance and some later issue (maybe Action Comics 9, but I have no idea) would be his first full appearance.

20 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

because for some people playing the loterry is more fun than investing. 

Anyways, Final Crisis 7 is the first appearance, CGC just doesn't have it right. But the market determines prices, not what CGC writes on a slab.

11 hours ago, tylerindo said:

It looks like Final Crisis 7 is Calvin Ellis' first appearance after all no matter what the Cgc says. 

:facepalm:

It is his unqualified first appearance, but it's only a few pages, making it a brief appearance. He's in about 10% of the issue and doesn't really do anything.