• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you had no key issues and $4-5K......
1 1

51 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Doesn't sound that cool a key to get over others.

By the way another really awesome key that I realize is picking up some ridiculous gains is Detective Comics 73. Within that price range you describe you can still get a decent one, but not for long. And it's rarer than most other books being mentionned here. Of course, I am a big fan of following one's heart so i'd only get this one if you're a big batman fan. But yeah, if I had 5K simply to go towards books, i'd get either a Turtles 1 or this Detective Book. It's rather special to me and can easily reach the realms of unobtainability for many of us due to its scarcity.

I actually love that cover(Tec 73) and bid on it recently. Totally agree, a classic!

Never thought I would suggest a modern book but UF4 in 9.8 seems like a solid bet and it still has plenty of room to grow.

Due to it being polybagged there won’t be as many 9.8s as ASM 300 (plus lower print run) and I’m sure Miles will continue to be a very hot character for years and years to come.

For $5000.00 you can get 3 copies.

4 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Never thought I would suggest a modern book but UF4 in 9.8 seems like a solid bet and it still has plenty of room to grow.

Due to it being polybagged there won’t be as many 9.8s as ASM 300 (plus lower print run) and I’m sure Miles will continue to be a very hot character for years and years to come.

For $5000.00 you can get 3 copies.

You dont think the abundance of second prints will affect the price eventually?

I'm in the early FF group with a low grade ASM #1 being a great choice too. I missed the boat on the UF4 (which is strange since I'm obsessed with Spider-Man titles) but I see some long term life with that character for sure. I think characters like Punchline, Knull etc... are a bit more flash in the pan and water always finds it level.

2 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Even for Venom 3?

(I know, it's besides the point)

I’m not so up to date with Venom 3 but if you look at the history of comics I’m not sure there is a villain whose 1st appearance is worth more than their main hero antagonist.

2 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Even for Venom 3?

(I know, it's besides the point)

I wouldn't overpay for a second or third print but would have no problem buying one to complete the run. 

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

I’m not so up to date with Venom 3 but if you look at the history of comics I’m not sure there is a villain whose 1st appearance is worth more than their main hero antagonist.

Not referring to that. Only referring to you saying that you'd always go first print over a later print. I wonder if you'd say the same about Venom 3. Or while we are at it, Man of Steel 18.

2 hours ago, universal soldier said:

I'm in the early FF group with a low grade ASM #1 being a great choice too. I missed the boat on the UF4 (which is strange since I'm obsessed with Spider-Man titles) 

It happened to me too with Teen Titans 12. I am obsessed with Batman stuff and that book (along with Hell Arisen 3) completely flew under me.

56 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Not referring to that. Only referring to you saying that you'd always go first print over a later print. I wonder if you'd say the same about Venom 3. Or while we are at it, Man of Steel 18.

Gotcha. 1st print for me as that IS the 1st appearance. A 2nd print can come out after the 2nd appearance so it diminishes it for me.

Ok. I appreciate all the suggestions.  After a little research I am leaning Avengers 1 at the moment. I think I can probably get a higher grade copy than say a FF1 or X-men 1 which still seem to go for a little more $$ currently.  I was really wanting a major key issue, and even though Avengers 1 isn't actually first appearance of the characters, it is the Avengers 1st appearance, and in my opinion (which doesn't mean much) a key issue.

On 2/6/2021 at 3:29 AM, tylerindo said:

I'd buy every single issue of Hell Arisen 3 I could. Punchline is getting an HBO Max show, super low print run (11k) and is "diverse". Get it get it get it! Take those gains from that book and buy bigger books. Rinse, repeat.

Forgive my ignorance but what is this series about and what is the significance of #3?