• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you had no key issues and $4-5K......
1 1

51 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Ok. I appreciate all the suggestions.  After a little research I am leaning Avengers 1 at the moment. I think I can probably get a higher grade copy than say a FF1 or X-men 1 which still seem to go for a little more $$ currently.  I was really wanting a major key issue, and even though Avengers 1 isn't actually first appearance of the characters, it is the Avengers 1st appearance, and in my opinion (which doesn't mean much) a key issue.

It's a great book and certainly a major key. 

It's probably the best value of the major keys right now! 

On 2/5/2021 at 1:16 PM, William-James88 said:

Doesn't sound that cool a key to get over others.

By the way another really awesome key that I realize is picking up some ridiculous gains is Detective Comics 73. Within that price range you describe you can still get a decent one, but not for long. And it's rarer than most other books being mentionned here. Of course, I am a big fan of following one's heart so i'd only get this one if you're a big batman fan. But yeah, if I had 5K simply to go towards books, i'd get either a Turtles 1 or this Detective Book. It's rather special to me and can easily reach the realms of unobtainability for many of us due to its scarcity.

I too really like the cover of Detective Comics #73, but I think if I was going to do something like that I'd rather get a low grade World's Finest #3. Even though it has the rather boring baseball cover, and get his actual first appearance.

On 2/28/2021 at 1:07 AM, Fourth World Baby! said:

I too really like the cover of Detective Comics #73, but I think if I was going to do something like that I'd rather get a low grade World's Finest #3. Even though it has the rather boring baseball cover, and get his actual first appearance.

Because the cover has nothing to do with why I want #3, it's probably the only comic I would ever consider buying coverless.

On 2/4/2021 at 6:09 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

What would be the first key you would buy?? 

I like more bang for my buck. I’d buy 9.8’s of: Uncanny X-men 221, 244, 266, 282 and 283. X-Factor 6. Strange Academy 1. Spawn 1 and 9. New Mutants 87 and 98. That should run you about 3k to 4k. Good chance the X-men/mutants will all take off once they hit the MCU. 

I think you should double down on "no keys." Buy a nice bronze/copper age collection from someone. Load up on books.

Once you've got all the books entered into your database, download the Key Collector app. You'll be excited to find out that you've actually got tons of key books!

On 2/9/2021 at 5:52 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

Ok. I appreciate all the suggestions.  After a little research I am leaning Avengers 1 at the moment. I think I can probably get a higher grade copy than say a FF1 or X-men 1 which still seem to go for a little more $$ currently.  I was really wanting a major key issue, and even though Avengers 1 isn't actually first appearance of the characters, it is the Avengers 1st appearance, and in my opinion (which doesn't mean much) a key issue.

Thank you for stating this — I notice a recent-times trend of so many diminishing this book because no characters make a first appearance, but it is the first appearance of the concept that is the Avengers, a core concept in the Marvel Universe, even before the MCU but certainly even moreso after.

There’s an insidious creep to the idea that only first appearances can be keys, and that’s dangerously narrow in a content-based hobby. 

Sorry for the digression; to tie it back, that’s why I like your choice. 

Low grade ASM 1 would be a great choice, but I "worry" that with 4-5K to work with it won't be very pretty. If you can find an appealing copy, awesome. Otherwise, JIM 83 or FF 5 would be great choices. But then everyone has their preferences -- Avengers, Dr Strange don't do much for me vs other choices, so they wouldn't be on my short list. CSS 22 would be, but I have had one for many years so it's hard for me to imagine not having it already. :) And for 4-5K, I'd be tempted by a decent Hulk 181...

Edited by originalisbest

In bang for the buck approach, I'd get Marvel Spotlight 5 in decent shape mid-grade, same for Tomb of Drac 10, same for ASM 101. Actually I'm kinda working on that now! Don't ask me about the higher grade ASM 101 and MS 5 I used to have -- UGH. At least I never owned a Tomb of Drac 10 to get rid of it too cheap in the past. :)