• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forbes says Comic Art Market is still healthy.

28 posts in this topic

Not enough information to back up the hype. However point taken to offer two disparate legends and their followers.

That is Alex Ross and Bill Sienkiewicz. Follows similar narratives that disposables become treasures, artist and reps raise clientele by selling an ambiance. Agree in some ways high end pieces and actually art of all categories and price range outdistancing stock market.

What I get out of it is our hobby has street cred and even the snobby world of chic Hollywood types and banker-investors looking at a sure thing.

Hey guys are we actually the cool kids now? 😎 

Edited by grapeape

10 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Hey guys are we actually the cool kids now?

Only if we read a future Forbes article where it says... "Collector so-and-so (better known as grapeape) loaned pieces to the Whitney Museum's exhibit opening on..."

I think comics is part of writer Rob Salkowitz's regular beat for Forbes.

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

I haven't even had time to read it yet, but if Forbes said it's so, it must be true! (thumbsu 

Discuss...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalkowitz/2021/02/05/comic-art-market-still-healthy-after-a-year-of-covid/?sh=1aed8cb16617

This article falls short, way short, due to the fact the writer used one dealer as the source for his story. That's just...lazy. Sal reps two big time superstars, but to truly get a proper gauge of the market, why not talk to art dealers who sell a variety of OA to get a better sense of the strength of the market? 

Missed opportunity to properly assess the current market. 

I had one dealing with Sal, and it was excellent, but I must say, the writer is dealing with a branch of the hobby I don’t recognize. One great thing about our niche is how closely we can get to the artists—lots of artists. Treating this stuff like fine art takes a lot of the fun out of it. The article writer totally missed that. One of the reasons this hobby should keep growing isn’t just the artistry. It’s the fun.

9 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

OK, I read it. It's just basically an advertisement masquerading as an article. Not much to see here.

The author has a big CAF account?  

A friend in th art world has said many times exhibitions come with an angle attached to them.   It's an exception if it's not.

5 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Forbes lost its way a while back. Along with pay-for-play, it also has 19171916 different "30 under 30" honors.

Especially online. At some point they decided to become WordPress, with half a zillion bloggers writing whatever they felt like. A weird way for a financial journal to sell its name.

3 hours ago, RBerman said:

Especially online. At some point they decided to become WordPress, with half a zillion bloggers writing whatever they felt like. A weird way for a financial journal to sell its name.

Everything now is just marketing, Forbes is just a little more obvious about it than most.

16 hours ago, vodou said:

Make your own faberge eggs | Simple Aesthetic

Wow.  I'm a fan of Faberge's Imperial Eggs, and this is the first photo I've seen which shows off the increasing scale of the later eggs.

The closest equivalent to the Imperial Eggs which America has offered are Sports Championship Rings.  (The Lakers ring from last year even has a surprise inside, too, very like the Faberge' treasures.)  There don't seem to be any books on the subject, yet; but someday there will be.

1 hour ago, thethedew said:

Wow.  I'm a fan of Faberge's Imperial Eggs, and this is the first photo I've seen which shows off the increasing scale of the later eggs.

The closest equivalent to the Imperial Eggs which America has offered are Sports Championship Rings.  (The Lakers ring from last year even has a surprise inside, too, very like the Faberge' treasures.)  There don't seem to be any books on the subject, yet; but someday there will be.

Are Faberge Eggs made of chocolate?