• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much more do you pay for a copy that has no miss wrap?
1 1

24 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Assuming you would skip over the white stripe if the near centered one was a bit more?

Yeah, it was tough to answer your question.  Generally I just skip past a 'white stripe' the same as if I don't even need that issue.

But yes, I would pay more for well centered if it was compared to a mis-wrap at a lower price.  Oddly I don't disqualify a book just because it looks like "2 cents" (when mis-wrap is the other way, front overlapping onto back). 

1 minute ago, grebal said:

Yeah, it was tough to answer your question.  Generally I just skip past a 'white stripe' the same as if I don't even need that issue.

But yes, I would pay more for well centered if it was compared to a mis-wrap at a lower price.  Oddly I don't disqualify a book just because it looks like "2 cents" (when mis-wrap is the other way, front overlapping onto back). 

Agree, if it goes slightly to the rear, it doesn't really bother me.

Sometimes the census is so low on the grade you want, the white strip is inevitable :cry: 

2 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Agree, if it goes slightly to the rear, it doesn't really bother me.

Sometimes the census is so low on the grade you want, the white strip is inevitable :cry: 

Among others, ASM 100 and 121 come to mind. And don't get me started on the squarebounds. ; )

As you say, it's inevitable.

More but not dramatically more for perfect centering. The width of the white area makes a big difference. If its just a thin white spine it wouldn't bother me at all. I would disregard copies with a super wide landing strip down the spine. Not a fan of the 'over-wraps' either where it's the reverse. My OCD couldn't handle much white at all on a black cover like ASM 28 for example. Thankfully there aren't too many mostly black covers like that. 

In the absence of an acceptable copy I just wait it out. I waited out an ASM 106 that wasn't miswraped and paid well over market. It took years but eventually one came around. That's a case where I paid way over because its such a chronically miswraped issue. But yeah, OCD's are weird. The same centering obsessions happen with sports cards. Just a maddening part of the hobby that's lead me to a few expletive laden outbursts.

Edited by MGsimba77

4 hours ago, grebal said:

Among others, ASM 100 and 121 come to mind. And don't get me started on the squarebounds. ; )

As you say, it's inevitable.

I won’t even consider an ASM 100 if there’s white showing along that black spine at all.  Ruins it for me.  Same with FF 112.   I want both those books in NM one day, but the spines have to be aligned perfectly.

Overstreet mentions "generally well centered" in 9.2, but does not bring it up in lower grades.  Says "well centered" in 9.6, and then back to "generally well centered" in 9.8.  Even THEY can't make up their minds.  Is generally well centered worse than well centered, or are they "generally" the same??  It's a major problem, captain.

Despite this, I am inclined to believe that they are saying that centering is getting more scrutiny as the grade goes up.  Sounds right, "in general".

If it's a Fine or a VG copy, the white line airstrip doesn't really bother me.  It's better than some other nastier defects.  It's a 12 cent comic - they didn't go crazy on quality control back in the day (or today).

If you have an otherwise 9.8 comic that is downgraded to 9.4 due to centering, that is a 9.8 with a handicap.  If you have another copy of the same comic that is nicely centered and grades 9.4, it has other junk that pulled it down.  I'd take the handicapped 9.8 if they are both at the 9.4 price.

For me, it honestly depends on the book.   It took me a long time to find a copy of ASM 129 that I liked.  I think I had this conversation in a thread with @THE_BEYONDER... At the end of the day I took a 9.4 over a 9.6 due to a nicely centered cover. 

This is my 9.4.  Compare it to a 9.6 with the white back cover peeking around.  I know it was common for bronze age books but for an iconic cover I wanted something that presented well and not going higher by a .2 at the time was irrelevant.  

image.png

image.png

image.png

14 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I won’t even consider an ASM 100 if there’s white showing along that black spine at all.  Ruins it for me.  Same with FF 112.   I want both those books in NM one day, but the spines have to be aligned perfectly.

Yup - some books It doesn't matter to me, but for iconic covers and important books, I want it to look as nice as possible, especially as everything could be +/- .2 on any given day.   I was the same way with ASM 100.  

(Side note, I am undergoing the arduous task of scanning all of my slabs... all of them - knocked out Golden Age so far.)

image.png.8f502a13d350f7d0077f301beb91f734.png

Edited by Buzzetta