• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Concern and Markers for Signatures
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hello,

I cant find anything more recent than 2017 about what markers people are using when getting signatures done on their books, not even sure it matters. I am about to send my first collection of books to CGC in the next few weeks for the Frank Miller/Klaus Janson signing on the Dark Knight Returns. I need both on #1 and Klaus on the other 3 but each issue (2,3,4) are all in different colors already so I am not sure if it is best to send the books as is and assume there will already be markers at CGC for the event or if I need to invest in my own and if so what are the best quality markers being used by people these days?

My other concern with this process is all 4 issues are already graded 9.8. How likely is it that books get grade drops? I see it all the time on the forum and on other websites talking about that risk but how often does it happen. All my books look incredible but each has some form of peeling something at either the top or bottom corner of the spine. Im terrified my 9.8 investment can drop dramatically by trying to get signatures..

Sorry if this is not the right place for these questions/concerns I tried looking around for more recent/focused feedback to these sort of questions.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Mellish50 said:

My other concern with this process is all 4 issues are already graded 9.8. How likely is it that books get grade drops? I see it all the time on the forum and on other websites talking about that risk but how often does it happen. All my books look incredible but each has some form of peeling something at either the top or bottom corner of the spine. Im terrified my 9.8 investment can drop dramatically by trying to get signatures..

Hi.  First off - don't waste money buying markers to send in with your books.  CGC and / or the creators will provide them and my guess is they won't use sent in markers anyways.  But just know that it is the creator's discretion as to which color to use - even if you put a note on the book asking for a specific color.  Hopefully, the creator honors the color request - but if you look in the thread about the private signings (see below) there are plenty of examples of where color requests were not honored.  

Lastly, in that same thread and others found in the boards, you will find examples of books (i.e. blue label) being cracked open and resubmitted for Signature Series only for the grades of those books to drop - for whatever reason.  It;s simply a risk you take when you decide to crack open an already graded book - even if you asked for it to get pressed just in case.  And if you are already "terrified" about sending your books in and again, for whatever reason, they do not stay a 9.8 then maybe you shouldn't do it.  Your risk / your call.

)

@Mellish50 

Hi again.  So, someone just posted the below comments in the thread regarding a recent in-house signing.  Just another example of taking a risk when cracking open an already slabbed / graded book to get signed...

"Unfortunately both my Chuck Dixon signed books were sent in as slabbed 9.8’s and came back as 9.6. First time its been like this for me in awhile so hoping its not due to carelessness or inconsistent grading. Also no I did not get a press but maybe its a possibility to get a bump if thats a thing on already graded SS?"

On the upside, this is the right place to ask the question

On 2/9/2021 at 10:27 AM, DELTA 62 said:

@Mellish50 

Hi again.  So, someone just posted the below comments in the thread regarding a recent in-house signing.  Just another example of taking a risk when cracking open an already slabbed / graded book to get signed...

"Unfortunately both my Chuck Dixon signed books were sent in as slabbed 9.8’s and came back as 9.6. First time its been like this for me in awhile so hoping its not due to carelessness or inconsistent grading. Also no I did not get a press but maybe its a possibility to get a bump if thats a thing on already graded SS?"

That was me. The other thing is he signed in black and I requested gold. To date the best experience I have had is with Campbell as he signed in red as requested, perfectly placed the signature and it even retained the 9.8. I could probably write a book on my experience with this stuff so far....

18 hours ago, Gator Guru said:

That was me. The other thing is he signed in black and I requested gold. To date the best experience I have had is with Campbell as he signed in red as requested, perfectly placed the signature and it even retained the 9.8. I could probably write a book on my experience with this stuff so far....

Yes, it was you!  It was a perfect recent comment to what Mellish50 was inquiring about so I just copied it over to this thread.  Hope you don't mind?    

43 minutes ago, DELTA 62 said:

Yes, it was you!  It was a perfect recent comment to what Mellish50 was inquiring about so I just copied it over to this thread.  Hope you don't mind?    

Not at all. Also had one I sent for reholder recently that they said was damaged and would get a lower grade now and they would press and regrade or send it back as is out of the case. It was a $1,500 book mind you. I wasnt too happy...

1 hour ago, Gator Guru said:

Not at all. Also had one I sent for reholder recently that they said was damaged and would get a lower grade now and they would press and regrade or send it back as is out of the case. It was a $1,500 book mind you. I wasnt too happy...

:whatthe::( O-M-G!?!

On 2/11/2021 at 4:50 PM, Gator Guru said:

Cgc regrading and pressing for free. Guess why smartass?

I'm sorry but I can't get past that whole "CGC isn't responsible" thing. If some ape of a grader or apathetic creep damages my book, they are responsible. I didn't do it. The post office guy didn't do it. It's literally CGC saying "We damaged your book but we aren't responsible." Also like saying "If you hadn't sent us your book to be reholdered, this wouldn't have happened."

9 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

I'm sorry but I can't get past that whole "CGC isn't responsible" thing. If some ape of a grader or apathetic creep damages my book, they are responsible. I didn't do it. The post office guy didn't do it. It's literally CGC saying "We damaged your book but we aren't responsible." Also like saying "If you hadn't sent us your book to be reholdered, this wouldn't have happened."

There is a disclaimer now if you send for a reholder or a crack and re-grade specifically saying they are not responsible however I agree with you. It creates doubt and mistrust in the mind of the collector if they have to agree to cgc not being held responsible for their book that was in otherwise NM condition. My personal opinion as pretty much all my books have been resubmitted for the new marvel labels, they have hired a lot of newbies and also have a ton of new demand, as people see collectibles as an exciting new asset class, mistakes are and will continue to happen with the handling of books.

I've got one for you guys. I had a "mechanical error" that was downgraded once it was back to cgc because it had "color lift on the signatures" (the mechanical error was that they didn't have all the sigs on the signed by line so why was the inner well opened in the first place? I have no idea). CGC did make it right by compensating for the sigs and book but I'm sure going to be more careful with my "sentimental" books unfortunately like this one. I have lots of questions on how this happened but I'm just chalking it up to everything already mentioned in this thread. 

2 hours ago, Gator Guru said:

There is a disclaimer now if you send for a reholder or a crack and re-grade specifically saying they are not responsible however I agree with you. It creates doubt and mistrust in the mind of the collector if they have to agree to cgc not being held responsible for their book that was in otherwise NM condition. My personal opinion as pretty much all my books have been resubmitted for the new marvel labels, they have hired a lot of newbies and also have a ton of new demand, as people see collectibles as an exciting new asset class, mistakes are and will continue to happen with the handling of books.

Oh yes. Human error and all that. But if I bring my car for an oil change and they scratch it up and tell me they aren't liable, then that creates an issue. They say they are not responsible for lost or missing items, though. Which tells me "Maybe we have staff with sticky fingers so take all your stuff when you leave it with us." If my 9.8 or 9.6 loses a whole point after being reholdered, that implies it was the grader or the signer who just cost me potentially thousands in worst case scenario. Or maybe it's just a new grader that has a different take on the grade. I guess I wouldn't take the risk just for a signature. Does the book even have to be removed from the holder to add a yellow label? Maybe have the holder signed and add a spray sealer over the top. I dunno.

44 minutes ago, These Are Their Stories Tink Tink said:

Could be as it was vague. There's a difference between CGC telling you your reholder has to be regraded because of damage and CGC telling you they themselves damaged your book.

Well, they probably aren't going to come out and say it, right? We can send books in for a new case w/o having it regraded. Why not go that route with the sig thing? I dunno. To me, it isn't worth jiggering a significant 9.6 or 9.8 for a signature. Then there's the argument "To Signature Or Not To Signature". I guess that's why I buy already signed. Or send in a raw book to be signed and graded. At the end, what you get is what you get. Not what you had. I understand the risk. Seems like CGC could build a better mousetrap to drastically minimize the handling of the books. Maybe it's the signer. <grab> "Gimme that thing!" <scribbleribbleribbleTOSSASIDE> "NEXT!" Seriously: How roughly are these books being handled to cause a full point drop in grade? Maybe it's more the new grader has no idea what it was graded before and makes the call? Sounds like a gigantic headache to me.