• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Raw Question Check List

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

As a newbie looking to buy raw Silver Age Marvel comic books for the first time, do collectors on here have a check list of condition questions that they ask the seller, before making a purchase?

I understand numerous photos of the book in question is a definite must, but they won’t necessarily pick up everything.

Is there an online guide that lists all the questions you need to ask? If not, then I’d be more than happy to hear from anyone on this forum that can help me!

Many thanks,

Andy

Edited by MARVELous Fan
Needed to add an extra word

I hear you, but if the seller doesn’t list certain “problems” and I discover them upon receiving the book, what’s to say that he/she wouldn’t accuse me of causing the problems and then refuse to give me a refund?

I just wanted to know the main “problems” to look out for, on a raw book, especially if it is low to mid grade, that’s all.

Perhaps someone else can help?

Andy

7 minutes ago, MARVELous Fan said:

I hear you, but if the seller doesn’t list certain “problems” and I discover them upon receiving the book, what’s to say that he/she wouldn’t accuse me of causing the problems and then refuse to give me a refund?

I just wanted to know the main “problems” to look out for, on a raw book, especially if it is low to mid grade, that’s all.

Perhaps someone else can help?

Andy

Hi Andy,

I usually want to see the front and back covers, spine and centrefold. If it is a book that is notorious for having something cut out of it (like a pin up in Batman #181 or the pin ups at the end of early ASM issues) I will ask to ensure it is there. Those are the things I feel would go missed most often while the rest can be seen. I do this with sellers who are maybe more on the amateur side, and usually you can tell that. If it is someone who sells comics, I still want the pics but I assume they are being honest and would tell me about a cut out or missing page. And if they miss it, I assume they would fix that problem.

Maybe that is too many assumptions but it has served me well in 20 years of collecting. 

Edited by comicginger1789

Pictures of the front and back cover. 

I also ask for pictures of the staples to make sure they aren't rusty or discolored. 

The biggest risk with high $$ raw SA books is restoration and trimming. Without having the book in hand it can be difficult to detect. Trimming can be difficult to detect with the book in hand at times. 

6 hours ago, MARVELous Fan said:

Thanks comic ginger for your insight.

Much appreciated!

Regards,

Andy

No problem! I find that 95% of the time, you can get the condition range on a comic correct if you see good pics of the front, back and centrefold. This allows you to see the major areas where flaws exist. The other 5% of the time, sure you might have a missing page, coupon, writing or something on the interior but again that is where you put some trust in the seller. 

On 2/9/2021 at 11:47 AM, MARVELous Fan said:

Hi,

As a newbie looking to buy raw Silver Age Marvel comic books for the first time, do collectors on here have a check list of condition questions that they ask the seller, before making a purchase?

I understand numerous photos of the book in question is a definite must, but they won’t necessarily pick up everything.

Is there an online guide that lists all the questions you need to ask? If not, then I’d be more than happy to hear from anyone on this forum that can help me!

Many thanks,

Andy

Yes, there is one important question for Marvel Silver and it is regarding the presence of a pinup. 

I wrote a list of the books to watch out for so if any interest you, ask the seller if the pin up is included.

Aside from that i don't really feel the need to ask anything else especially since I buy raw from auctions like Heritage and I can always send the book back if they made a big mistake. I never buy marvel silver from local dealers or at shows, you'll always be on the losing end price wise. At least with auctions, I know I am getting market price.

In the past when I was buying a lot in ebay I would just keep it simple and ask if the cover or centerfold were detached and if there was restoration. That info and the pics normally gave me all I needed to know. Even if it was a scam, which definitely happens, I was still always covered and never lost a dime. And I ran into many fraud or misrepresentation attempts.