• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ever heard of, seen, or know of any Schomburg original art covers (or even pages) from his classic Timely period?
1 1

36 posts in this topic

Many of his Harvey covers from the War period have survived.  You can see some of them on Heritage's site or the Comic Art Fans website.

9 minutes ago, Professor Chaos said:

I wonder who owns that. 

James Halperin

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1005753

I always got a big kick out of the Germans and Japanese, on Schomburg covers, needing to label, in english, the purpose of buildings, machinery, machinery controls, equipment etc    lol

Edited by pemart1966

4 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Many of his Harvey covers from the War period have survived.  You can see some of them on Heritage's site or the Comic Art Fans website.

yes, the Speed Comics ones ........ which are incredible. But I mean MMC, CA, HT ......   those covers or even pages ?

3 hours ago, DanCooper said:

So, Heritage had this in an auction back in 2003 with a reserve ($167,500?) and it didn't sell? (eventually ended up with Jim H.)

image.thumb.png.9180f05f42cd57edafcef33abc16e76f.png

Whoa!   There is one !     $167,500 ask in 2003 ??!!! Can't imagine what this would bring in an auction in 2021 ..............................

49 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Schomburg's gouache recreations are about as close anyone can get to original Timely cover art.  He did a number of commissions back in the 70's and 80's & most are outstanding.

This is from my collection, recreating Marvel Mystery #66, the last MM WWII cover (one of the three he did on commission for a ltd. ed. litho print run from Buccaneer Graphics)...

lf.thumb.jpeg.8827018939d9e0dab767e6ed2230b920.jpeg

Although I've taken several fairly decent iPad shots the best lighting and imaging is this one from HA. 

:tink:

would KILL for one of these !

8 minutes ago, fishbone said:

yes, the Speed Comics ones ........ which are incredible. But I mean MMC, CA, HT ......   those covers or even pages ?

He only drew covers for Timely.  There is one Timely cover known to have survived.

3 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I always got a big kick out of the Germans and Japanese, on Schomburg covers, needing to label, in english, the purpose of buildings, machinery, machinery controls, equipment etc    lol

Me too, especially when they couldn't spell Tokyo.  :insane:

1 hour ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Schomburg's gouache recreations are about as close anyone can get to original Timely cover art.  He did a number of commissions back in the 70's and 80's & most are outstanding.

This is from my collection, recreating Marvel Mystery #66, the last MM WWII cover (one of the three he did on commission for a ltd. ed. litho print run from Buccaneer Graphics)...

lf.thumb.jpeg.8827018939d9e0dab767e6ed2230b920.jpeg

Although I've taken several fairly decent iPad shots the best lighting and imaging is this one from HA. 

:tink:

That is beautiful, extremely jealous!

54 minutes ago, *paull* said:

Very few pieces of GA original art survived.  Why are people surprised that so little Schomburg art exists?  How much Timely Kirby art is there?

There's apparently a lot more Timely Kirby interior art than Schomburg covers.  I have no idea how much is still around, but I've seen some nice Kirby Cap pages posted.

2 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

I'm still not straight on this. Is the Human Torch 16 the only Shomburg Timely original art known to exist or the only cover known to exist? Or something else? I figured it was rare but not that rare.

He only drew covers for Timely.  There is one Timely cover known to have survived.