• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Rookie Card sells for big money!
4 4

323 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Considering that full sets could have been purchased for less than $100 back in November, sales like this are concerning.

Haha yup. I actually sold 3 PSA 10’s of 92 Marvel Masterpieces for $1,200 last week. I bought them for $75 a year and a half ago and only picked them up since I own the Jusko paintings...stupidly sold my Loki PSA 10 after I sold the painting over a year ago. 

57 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

Haha yup. I actually sold 3 PSA 10’s of 92 Marvel Masterpieces for $1,200 last week. I bought them for $75 a year and a half ago and only picked them up since I own the Jusko paintings...stupidly sold my Loki PSA 10 after I sold the painting over a year ago. 

But now here is the thing with this.  This is when I say, perhaps it is time to think about selling certain things and buying them back later.  Yesterday I texted this image to another board member that I should wait a year and at the rate these cards are increasing in value, I should trade these three straight up for another Jordan rookie.

Is a PSA 10 comic card of a picture depicting Hulk 181 worth more than the actual comic book or a Jeter SP rookie card ?   This is when I think the market is trying to reach a level that it cannot sustain.  

Congrats to the sellers... I mean if I still had full sets and multiples of those cards I would sell, sell, sell, and laugh as some fool gave me his money. 

IMG_1820.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mephisto said:

Hulk 181 Rookie card! Didn’t get quite as much as Deadpool’s Rookie card but this was the actual Rookie card of a comic book and not a character!

022D6A17-8A31-4A7E-90B2-3B6FFC86E8AC.jpeg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-MARVEL-UNIVERSE-134-INCREDIBLE-HULK-LOW-POP-PSA-10-N2994867-531/264940694368?hash=item3dafb22b60%3Ag%3AhfgAAOSwvdJfso-P&LH_BIN=1

Another PSA 10 sold for $70 in mid November which just happens to be from the same submission. 

So do you see my hesitation about the overall sustainability of a market when a card goes from $70 to $3300 in 3 months? 

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 11.22.48 PM.png

s-l1600.jpg

The population numbers are low...I expect them to explode in the next year but it’s probably going to take about a year as the wait times with PSA are about 9 months and BGS is similarly backed up, and guess what the new CGC grading company won’t even grade these cards. Up until the last few months it really wasn’t worth grading a lot of this stuff. 1996 Masterpieces have always carried a bit of a premium as the print run was smaller due to it being the end of the line for many years. Otherwise most of the 90’s Marvel stuff just wasn’t worth grading so the pop numbers are low for many cards.

Once the population numbers explode I don’t see these prices sustaining. The print run of 92 Marvel Masterpieces was close to 80 million. There’s bound to be more 10’s coming from that set. 

1 hour ago, Mephisto said:

The population numbers are low...I expect them to explode in the next year but it’s probably going to take about a year as the wait times with PSA are about 9 months and BGS is similarly backed up, and guess what the new CGC grading company won’t even grade these cards. Up until the last few months it really wasn’t worth grading a lot of this stuff. 1996 Masterpieces have always carried a bit of a premium as the print run was smaller due to it being the end of the line for many years. Otherwise most of the 90’s Marvel stuff just wasn’t worth grading so the pop numbers are low for many cards.

Once the population numbers explode I don’t see these prices sustaining. The print run of 92 Marvel Masterpieces was close to 80 million. There’s bound to be more 10’s coming from that set. 

I agree with everything you say here.  I have further concerns though about the mentality of the participants that are spending $3000+ on this card.   

Edited by Buzzetta

This market has to implode.....right!?!

Late last year, cards like this ONLY sold if they were PSA 10's and even then when they sold it barely even covered the cost to grade the cards in the first place. I would love to understand the buyers here...I feel like many of us as comic collectors, we have happened into these cards perhaps simply because of the connection or in conjunction when we collected in the 90s. These cards are plentiful. Even still boxed and wrapped.

Is this just extremely amateur people no knowing this and spending  a ton on these cards? Which has now lead to the demand for unopened packs and boxes with the thoughts of getting PSA 10's? Grading cards though is very dependent upon the card appearance, meaning even a perfect condition card could not get a PSA 10 if centering is off or colours are not as bright.

I think the market will be flooded this year with PSA 10's. I don't see these being things that you can buy for (gulp) $1500 now, and expect to profit off in 5-10 years. I just don't. But could I be very very wrong!?!?

Are there die hard card people who don't already have these? Are they sports card fans seemingly thinking that an influx in their own hobby will immediately translate into the comic hobby too? I am so confused....

Maybe I am in the minority when I say this but for me, these cards are just fun to have. If I see packs here and there for a couple bucks at thrift shops, antique malls, etc., sure I buy em. Heck, I might even spend $50-100 or so on an unopened box if I found them. But to spend more on a card than the actual comic that the card is depicting!?!?!? for $1500 you can get an entry level condition of that actual comic!!!! Even spending $500 on such a card seems incredible.

This is something that, if I had any of value or unopened boxes, they would be going up for sale yesterday.

Edited by comicginger1789

9 hours ago, Mephisto said:

Exactly

I am just not sure who these buyers are and would love to talk to one. 

Those are some insane prices for cards that I remember I literally couldn't even give away 10 years ago.

Hmm...I have my sets of these (all the Marvel and DC sets from that era, for the most part) from when I was a kid, with holograms and duplicates for most of the cards. Maybe it's time to consider selling...