• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Rookie Card sells for big money!
4 4

323 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Cocomonkey said:

Those are some insane prices for cards that I remember I literally couldn't even give away 10 years ago.

Hmm...I have my sets of these (all the Marvel and DC sets from that era, for the most part) from when I was a kid, with holograms and duplicates for most of the cards. Maybe it's time to consider selling...

I also have a million of these cards as well

Sports card prices are ludicrous in general right now, not surprised to see it spill over into stuff like this. 

Unproven rookies are bringing 4, 5 and 6 figure prices at auction. Prices stagnant for a decade double in a week, then double again. Things that sold literally months ago for $50k might bring $250k now. If this isn't a bubble, I don't know what is. The only question is how long it can last.

Edited by october

4 minutes ago, october said:

Sports card prices are ludicrous in general right now, not surprised to see it spill over into stuff like this. 

Unproven rookies are bringing 4, 5 and 6 figure prices at auction. Prices stagnant for a decade double in a week, then double again. Things that sold literally months ago for $50k might bring $250k now. If this isn't a bubble, I don't know what is. The only question is how long it can last.

image.gif.b0e252aab5643f9a1b79ec53d9a77fa1.gif

I saw this coming a while back, and wish I'd followed my conviction with my cash, and bought in.

Last summer I found a box of Marvel Universe series 1-4 sets in my basement. I'd had them since I was a kid. They were taking up space, so I sold them to the local comic shop for pennies on the dollar.

Then, in the fall, I went to a garage sale, and bought a sealed box of X-Men 1991 Impel trading cards for $10, along with a couple of chase cards. I was stoked about the X-Men box, because they were selling for about $75-$80 at the time, so it was a good buy. I even toyed with the idea of opening it up, just because opening boxes of cards is fun! But I decided to hold off, and let it sit on a shelf. I wasn't sure if I wanted to sell, or keep it for my X-Men collection.

All of this rekindled a spark of interest in Marvel card collecting, all of those hours spend opening packs and sorting sets. I'd really loved it as a kid. Suddenly I found myself researching prices on Marvel cards. And I realized that at some point, given the current market for sports cards and comics, it was inevitable that Marvel cards were going to take off. I set up eBay searches for PSA 10 Wolverine, etc. I tracked prices. I decided that yeah, I was going to get into this while the getting was good, because there was a future here!

And...I just never got around to it. It seemed like a good idea, and the prices hadn't started moving, but there was other stuff that I liked better, like comics and toys. Cards were cool, but they were pretty far down the list in comparison, so I just never got around to following up on my BRILLIANT IDEA!

Fast forward to last Sunday, I'm browsing Twitter, and a guy I follow posts pics of completed auctions for Marvel Universe Series 1 sets, selling for $250-$300! I jumped up and drove to my local shop, because I realized that just the week previous, I'd seen that very same set of Marvel Universe series 1 trading cards I'd sold them, sitting in a box, unsold, unloved. So I ran to the shop, and bought my childhood set back for $25! And now that i have them, while I'm tempted to toss them back on eBay and grab $300 for them, I'm remembering how much I loved them, and realizing it's pretty good luck that I was able to get my personal set back. 

So, I haven't sold them...yet. But that night I DID sell that sealed box of X-Men cards for about $440

The current prices are insanity. A year or so ago you could get a sealed box of Marvel Universe 1990 for about $150. Now asking price is $2k+. Cards that sold for pennies are now $20-$50 "rookie". It seems crazy, but I think it may just be the beginning. I wouldn't buy at the current prices, but I'm not sure I'd sell yet either. May be able to squeeze a few more weeks (or more) of growth out of it before it crashes. Regardless, the cat is out of the bag. This market most likely can't last, but i doubt it'll completely bottom out.

Tl,dr: if you have a gut feeling about something getting ready to explode, follow through. Don't be a dummy like me!

5 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I saw this coming a while back, and wish I'd followed my conviction with my cash, and bought in.

Last summer I found a box of Marvel Universe series 1-4 sets in my basement. I'd had them since I was a kid. They were taking up space, so I sold them to the local comic shop for pennies on the dollar.

Then, in the fall, I went to a garage sale, and bought a sealed box of X-Men 1991 Impel trading cards for $10, along with a couple of chase cards. I was stoked about the X-Men box, because they were selling for about $75-$80 at the time, so it was a good buy. I even toyed with the idea of opening it up, just because opening boxes of cards is fun! But I decided to hold off, and let it sit on a shelf. I wasn't sure if I wanted to sell, or keep it for my X-Men collection.

All of this rekindled a spark of interest in Marvel card collecting, all of those hours spend opening packs and sorting sets. I'd really loved it as a kid. Suddenly I found myself researching prices on Marvel cards. And I realized that at some point, given the current market for sports cards and comics, it was inevitable that Marvel cards were going to take off. I set up eBay searches for PSA 10 Wolverine, etc. I tracked prices. I decided that yeah, I was going to get into this while the getting was good, because there was a future here!

And...I just never got around to it. It seemed like a good idea, and the prices hadn't started moving, but there was other stuff that I liked better, like comics and toys. Cards were cool, but they were pretty far down the list in comparison, so I just never got around to following up on my BRILLIANT IDEA!

Fast forward to last Sunday, I'm browsing Twitter, and a guy I follow posts pics of completed auctions for Marvel Universe Series 1 sets, selling for $250-$300! I jumped up and drove to my local shop, because I realized that just the week previous, I'd seen that very same set of Marvel Universe series 1 trading cards I'd sold them, sitting in a box, unsold, unloved. So I ran to the shop, and bought my childhood set back for $25! And now that i have them, while I'm tempted to toss them back on eBay and grab $300 for them, I'm remembering how much I loved them, and realizing it's pretty good luck that I was able to get my personal set back. 

So, I haven't sold them...yet. But that night I DID sell that sealed box of X-Men cards for about $440

The current prices are insanity. A year or so ago you could get a sealed box of Marvel Universe 1990 for about $150. Now asking price is $2k+. Cards that sold for pennies are now $20-$50 "rookie". It seems crazy, but I think it may just be the beginning. I wouldn't buy at the current prices, but I'm not sure I'd sell yet either. May be able to squeeze a few more weeks (or more) of growth out of it before it crashes. Regardless, the cat is out of the bag. This market most likely can't last, but i doubt it'll completely bottom out.

Tl,dr: if you have a gut feeling about something getting ready to explode, follow through. Don't be a dummy like me!

One user here just sold a complete set missing two holograms and containing two slightly damaged cards for $625 on eBay

Take the money and run...

They will probably go up a little bit more but then turn into someone's New Mutants 98 in a 9.9.

A lot of people were blind to grading taking off on the Marvel cards. I knew it would happen some day. Prices are extravagantly high and once population numbers rise there will be a slide back but it’s unlikely you will see 1992 MM PSA 10’s at $25 a pop for many characters like a year ago. 

I had toyed with trying to do a PSA 10 92 MM set when I bought the one’s I did but it was pretty low on my list things to buy.

I’m happy to have moved the few I did buy and just wish I had kept a 4th before this craze.

I have seen people trying to compare these to early Magic. Someone recently asked the print run of Alpha to compare...which is honestly completely laughable to try and compare.

Alpha had a print run of 2.6 million while a set like 92 Masterpieces is almost 80 million. Arabian Nights the first expansion set had a print run of 5 million. The first Magic set to see a number anywhere near that wasn’t until The Dark. Alpha non land commons have a print run of around 16K or so. “The Lost” cards from 92 MM which were 5 cards only contained in the Tin set which have a print run of 35K.

Jusko signed 5,000 of each base card for Dynamic Forces back in the day...the print run of Uncommon Alpha’s is 4,500.

35 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

One user here just sold a complete set missing two holograms and containing two slightly damaged cards for $625 on eBay

Take the money and run...

They will probably go up a little bit more but then turn into someone's New Mutants 98 in a 9.9.

Yeah, good idea to not be left holding the hot potato, so I wouldn't be buying right now. But I'm assuming a lot of us already have these cards in our possession, so seeing as how we're essentially playing with house money, it may be worth hanging on for a few more days. I may just keep my set because I like them, and while this market definitely can't sustain itself, I also doubt I'll ever be able to get a complete set for $25 again.

29 minutes ago, Morganmi said:

So these are actually worth something now? Hard to believe.  There from 1990 and on good card stock. There must thousands and thousands of them in mint shape.

20210211_134640.jpg

Well if you dont want them........:devil: