• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Rookie Card sells for big money!
4 4

323 posts in this topic

So turtles should be joining soon...

Any turtle cards have the #1 comic cover on them? The original '89 cards were all from the tv show, except the factory set which had 22 bonus cards from the comic, but I cant find any pics of the bonus cards.

Edit: found 21 of the 22, can't find card #S, it may be the first cover, I have a sealed set on the way. The 22 bonus cards appear to all be covers of early issues, see pic of the back of one of the bonus cards.

Screenshot_20210212-021506_eBay.jpg

Edited by HotKey
Added info

On 2/10/2021 at 11:25 PM, Mephisto said:

The population numbers are low...I expect them to explode in the next year but it’s probably going to take about a year as the wait times with PSA are about 9 months and BGS is similarly backed up, and guess what the new CGC grading company won’t even grade these cards. Up until the last few months it really wasn’t worth grading a lot of this stuff. 1996 Masterpieces have always carried a bit of a premium as the print run was smaller due to it being the end of the line for many years. Otherwise most of the 90’s Marvel stuff just wasn’t worth grading so the pop numbers are low for many cards.

Once the population numbers explode I don’t see these prices sustaining. The print run of 92 Marvel Masterpieces was close to 80 million. There’s bound to be more 10’s coming from that set. 

Will CGC not grade any of the Marvel cards or was it a specific type of these cards that CGC will not grade?

On 2/10/2021 at 8:24 PM, Buzzetta said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-MARVEL-UNIVERSE-134-INCREDIBLE-HULK-LOW-POP-PSA-10-N2994867-531/264940694368?hash=item3dafb22b60%3Ag%3AhfgAAOSwvdJfso-P&LH_BIN=1

Another PSA 10 sold for $70 in mid November which just happens to be from the same submission. 

So do you see my hesitation about the overall sustainability of a market when a card goes from $70 to $3300 in 3 months? 

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 11.22.48 PM.png

s-l1600.jpg

And the registration on the comic isn't even level. This just burns my OCD to no end.

41 minutes ago, Sensei Ryan said:

Will CGC not grade any of the Marvel cards or was it a specific type of these cards that CGC will not grade?

As of right now, CGC is only grading gaming cards like Magic and Pokemon. However, given that they have the comic grading service, and the current explosion in interest in comic trading cards, surely it's only a matter of time before they start grading Marvel cards as well. They're leaving a lot of money on the table, if they don't.

29 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

As of right now, CGC is only grading gaming cards like Magic and Pokemon. However, given that they have the comic grading service, and the current explosion in interest in comic trading cards, surely it's only a matter of time before they start grading Marvel cards as well. They're leaving a lot of money on the table, if they don't.

They are about to open up to grading sports cards to, correct?  I read that a while back and just assumed that had already started.  I'm surprised they haven't started grading the comic cards because like you said apparently it's now a lucrative business!

2 hours ago, Sensei Ryan said:

They are about to open up to grading sports cards to, correct?  I read that a while back and just assumed that had already started.  I'm surprised they haven't started grading the comic cards because like you said apparently it's now a lucrative business!

I must have missed that announcement, but it makes sense to me. If you're already in the grading business, why wouldn't you grade everything?

If you are wondering why people are paying $50+ for a polybagged X-Force 1 now, its because a GEM MINT PSA 10 Deadpool card sold for 4 thousand dollars. Up from $600 10 days ago.:insane:

Edited by Rip

36 minutes ago, Rip said:

If you are wondering why people are paying $50+ for a polybagged X-Force 1 now, its because a GEM MINT PSA 10 Deadpool card sold for 4 thousand dollars. Up from $600 10 days ago.:insane:

If this isn’t a sign of the comic apocalypse, I don’t know what is. :insane:

6 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I must have missed that announcement, but it makes sense to me. If you're already in the grading business, why wouldn't you grade everything?

They don't have the personnel that have the appropriate training. 

We already know that CGC has specific graders on specific eras of books.  I remember reading that once around these parts that there were graders that were some that were more familiar or specialized in golden age and others in copper or moderns. 

Think about it... rush something out or get the proper training, because if you think that people screw around with comics wait until you see what funny business goes on with cards.  For example, Topps was using a different cutting mechanism than Upper Deck so the slices into the cardboard leave a distinctive mark on a Topps card that can be seen with a loupe that cannot be seen with Upper Deck.  You have to know what to look for. 

Regardless, while this is a cool adventure that CGC is taking and one that is long overdue and one that can also create serious competition, the pinnacle of card grading (to me) is still PSA.  So, if CGC wants to become a viable competitor to PSA they have to do it the right way and really learn the process and what they are looking for.  Because if there are any serious missteps, the card collecting community will look at CGC as the PGX of card grading.  

On 2/11/2021 at 5:48 PM, Rip said:

The card MKT has been on an insane tear in the last two months, Star Wars cards barely going for $15 are getting $150, cards that were getting $30 are getting $300 its crazy.
The sports card guys are moving in more and more to other markets. A Luke 1 (Blue card) PSA 10 would likely bring around 15K. I would guess the sticker would bring around 25K

Are these the vintage Star Wars cards? I have a few wax boxes...