• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Rookie Card sells for big money!
4 4

323 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Rip said:

It seems to be carrying over to most everything non-sports 70's to early 90's. From 1991 unopened GI Joe boxes, to Turtles cards you name it. Its gone super nova.

Well, has it carried over to the Golden Age of Comics All-Chromium trading cards such as this one here from the 90's:  :wishluck:

71DLsKzmk4L._AC_SL1363_.jpg

Seeing as how those Marvel cards are from worthless drek comic covers, then how about some of these GA comic cover trading cards where a real book like this is fetching over $50K in less than VF condition.  hm

On 2/18/2021 at 4:30 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, has it carried over to the Golden Age of Comics All-Chromium trading cards such as this one here from the 90's:  :wishluck:

71DLsKzmk4L._AC_SL1363_.jpg

then how about some of these GA comic cover trading cards where a real book like this is fetching over $50K in less than VF condition.  hm

Looks like you were too thrifty to spend 1c on a penny sleeve for your shiny metallic card, thus grade dropped from PSA 9.0 to Beckett 7.0 once you slide it out of the card top loader and scratch it. Slab it anyways and your's will be top and only census $$$.

49 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Looks like you were too thrifty to spend 1c on a penny sleeve for your shiny metallic card, thus grade dropped from PSA 9.0 to Beckett 7.0 once you slide it out of the card top loader and scratch it. Slab it anyways and your's will be top and only census $$$.

No worries at all as this is not my card since this is just a copy and paste of a card I found through Google.  (thumbsu

You must think I am made out of money or Bitcoin if you think that I would ever bother to buy any kind of sleeve holder for my cards.  I have a complete set of these Golden Age comic cover cards wrapped up somewhere in my house, but would not be able to tell you where even if my life depended upon it since I have absolutely no idea after all these long years.  doh!  :censored:

Thank God they still appear to be worthless from what I can see, which then really makes me question the medium and long term value of these Marvel trading cards from the 90's which are apparently available by the tens of millions if collectors ever get around to grading them.  hm  :screwy:

On 2/20/2021 at 7:41 PM, lou_fine said:

Thank God they still appear to be worthless from what I can see, which then really makes me question the medium and long term value of these Marvel trading cards from the 90's which are apparently available by the tens of millions if collectors ever get around to grading them.  hm  :screwy:

Roll the dice on 'hot' Impel Marvel cards:

27 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Well, I couldn't be.ieve I actually wasted several minutes of my valuable life watching this guy's seeming temper tantrum.  :facepalm:

I was getting ready to call 911 because it certainly looked like his eyes were about to pop right out from its socket, or he was going to have a burst artery and an on the spot heart attack before he got to the end of his video.  lol

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I couldn't be.ieve I actually wasted several minutes of my valuable life watching this guy's seeming temper tantrum.  :facepalm:

I was getting ready to call 911 because it certainly looked like his eyes were about to pop right out from its socket, or he was going to have a burst artery and an on the spot heart attack before he got to the end of his video.  lol

Now I have to watch it

10 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

:ROFL:

I watched this last night. He's definitely having a normal one here, especially from the 15-minute mark on.

1) I'm 90% sure he's "MintCollector," whom folks might remember from these boards ~5 years ago. He was a newbie to comics - and it showed. Aside from his constant railing against comics as a long-term investment, he didn't seem to understand why he couldn't pick up white hot movie-related Silver and Bronze-age keys here for under GPA.

2) The main flaw in his anti-Marvel card argument - he readily admits that one of the two drivers of the explosion in key comics values over the last 20 years was the advent of CGC; yet fails to see why PSA grading comics cards might do exactly the same thing. Also, I don't think he gets that the centering in the 1990 Marvel set was horrendous - such that you're likely to find fewer than 10 potential PSA 10 candidates per box.

Yes - there are millions of these cards out there, but potential 10s? Likely only thousands.

On 2/20/2021 at 5:23 PM, Robot Man said:

OK, first, you people got me to look at my daughter’s sports cards then I saw this thread.

I have a couple of large boxes of non sports cards that I probably haven’t looked at in 10 years. Many sets and singles.

Was VERY surprised to find a complete set of the 1990 Marvel cards. I have no idea I even had. Included were 3 holograms, a few wrappers and 3 glossy “prototype” cards. 

Also complete 1966 Batman, KISS, Elvis and some Waky Pack sets. Even a run of Garbarge Pail un-opened packs and a bunch of others. 

That was box one. My other box probably has my childhood sets of Mars Attacks, Civil War, Monsters and who knows what?

Most of these, I have zero interest in. I guess some eBay research is in store for me. 

7F275DE9-5AAC-4431-82D9-9166DD0A1866.jpeg

CFE856D8-F4BF-4DBA-9BD3-F87D8520E57F.jpeg

Oh, you are such a big tease with this very enticing photo of your trading cards here.  :D

You are just going to end up getting one of these young whippersnaper card collectors wetting their diapers when they see your complete set of Marvel trading cards here.  lol

9 hours ago, MR SigS said:

I guess I'm throwing money away- I have no desire to grade or sell them. I'll probably leave them to family, but the cards will likely be worthless again.

Well, from the sounds of how many of these cards are around (as evident by your own photo here) and the enormous turnaround time to get them back from the grading companies, they might already be worthless long before you even get them back.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :censored:

There are some parts of what he says that's true and somethings that are completely false. I just listened to him last night. LOL!
He really shouldn't be giving detailed advice in the comic related fields and collectibles.

But with regards to his "anti-Marvel card argument", yes centering is a problem. But so is centering on countless other sets that get blown up on the PSA census.
The Marvel Universe series 1 box breaks seem to be easier to get PSA 10's from then say a box of say Topps Empire Strikes Back cards or Alien, or Battlestar Galactica etc etc. 

There IS a HUGE HUGE back log at PSA, so you have to pay the bucks ($100.00) to get your card(s) back semi quickly or you will be waiting 9+ MONTHS.

There will also be a HUGE influx of 10's and 9's coming. Its a bit early, but likely there will be 10's of thousands upon thousands of PSA 10's coming. (If the market remains viable)
So far about 2000 OF THE 3000 cards subbed ARE PSA 10's. TWO THIRDS!!!

https://www.psacard.com/pop/non-sport-cards/1990/marvel-universe/41489/

Based on that, I've broken enough boxes to see that there will be an F-ton of 10's coming. But does that mean every card will be easy to get, NO. As with most sets there will be the low pop cards. Based on this set, it looks like the variants and holograms are going to be the winners. On holograms of the 231 subbed only 19 of those got 10's. And 60 9's

https://www.psacard.com/pop/non-sport-cards/1990/marvel-universe-hologram/58550

Edited by Rip

19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, from the sounds of how many of these cards are around (as evident by your own photo here) and the enormous turnaround time to get them back from the grading companies, they might already be worthless long before you even get them back.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :censored:

Thats the main problem, pay the money to rush your shipment back, or roll the dice and wait a year to get your cards back where who knows where the markets will be... or the population counts. Unopened sets and boxes may be the better bet here as they are a bit more safe and less subjected to the PSA backlog.

Edited by Rip