• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Rookie Card sells for big money!
4 4

323 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2021 at 11:25 PM, Mephisto said:

The population numbers are low...I expect them to explode in the next year but it’s probably going to take about a year as the wait times with PSA are about 9 months and BGS is similarly backed up, and guess what the new CGC grading company won’t even grade these cards. Up until the last few months it really wasn’t worth grading a lot of this stuff. 1996 Masterpieces have always carried a bit of a premium as the print run was smaller due to it being the end of the line for many years. Otherwise most of the 90’s Marvel stuff just wasn’t worth grading so the pop numbers are low for many cards.

Once the population numbers explode I don’t see these prices sustaining. The print run of 92 Marvel Masterpieces was close to 80 million. There’s bound to be more 10’s coming from that set. 

Exactly. Steer clear unless you are going for 1996 marvel masterpieces. 

Someplace, buried deep in a hidden bunker, I have a long box of Marvel -issued two packs that have two X-Men related books and a pack of cards.

I'm going to guess these came out around 1994/95. 

Does anyone know if these cards were the Impell ones or what they were exactly? 

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

Someplace, buried deep in a hidden bunker, I have a long box of Marvel -issued two packs that have two X-Men related books and a pack of cards.

I'm going to guess these came out around 1994/95. 

Does anyone know if these cards were the Impell ones or what they were exactly? 

They might be Marvel Series 2 or 3 card inserts if they are what I think they are.  

Getting a 10 for those hologram cards has to be difficult. Centering and easily scratched. Right? Not that the high price isn't shocking but there is a big premium for 10 vs 9 and less. Still spiked so grade it if it's a top end condition! Maybe the market stays hot foe the 3-18 months it takes to grade!

12 minutes ago, yecul said:

Getting a 10 for those hologram cards has to be difficult. Centering and easily scratched. Right? Not that the high price isn't shocking but there is a big premium for 10 vs 9 and less. Still spiked so grade it if it's a top end condition! Maybe the market stays hot foe the 3-18 months it takes to grade!

Agreed. I have several boxes of cards from this era and was wondering the same thing.

On 2/20/2021 at 8:23 PM, Robot Man said:

OK, first, you people got me to look at my daughter’s sports cards then I saw this thread.

I have a couple of large boxes of non sports cards that I probably haven’t looked at in 10 years. Many sets and singles.

Was VERY surprised to find a complete set of the 1990 Marvel cards. I have no idea I even had. Included were 3 holograms, a few wrappers and 3 glossy “prototype” cards. 

Also complete 1966 Batman, KISS, Elvis and some Waky Pack sets. Even a run of Garbarge Pail un-opened packs and a bunch of others. 

That was box one. My other box probably has my childhood sets of Mars Attacks, Civil War, Monsters and who knows what?

Most of these, I have zero interest in. I guess some eBay research is in store for me. 

7F275DE9-5AAC-4431-82D9-9166DD0A1866.jpeg

CFE856D8-F4BF-4DBA-9BD3-F87D8520E57F.jpeg

Mars Attacks? MARS ATTACKS? You mentioned that so ... casually! Unopened? :ohnoez:

As a comic book collector I can understand why at first glance the rapidly high prices and  spike in interest might seem puzzling . Why would someone pay thousands for a PSA 10 1990 (mass produced) comic card when you could simply buy more graded books ? Graded books after all are the “ real thing “ . The “original source “ . However I’d point out a few things :

1) There is a misguided tendency to view these sales and the recent spike in interest through the wrong lens. . Many of us are traditional comic book collectors . We liked the cards, even collected them but maybe we aren’t exactly card collectors. The reality is believe it or not there is actually a healthy percentage of collectors out there who like PSA 10 cards of Marvel characters. There is a healthy percentage of card hobbyists who could care less if they ever own a graded comic book. They are card collectors. Cards matter to them and so do superheroes but not comic books. 

2) A PSA 10 is well a PSA 10. These are not easy to obtain even on mass produced sets . Anyone who has been following along knows that 1990 Marvel Universe Cards have about a 75 to 80 percent chance of being off center to some degree . Many right out of the pack are off to the junk  pile with zero hope of ever getting a 10 gem mint grade . There is an element of “ rarity” built into collecting these cards . Like it or not the reality is people pay major dollars for PSA 10 cards . They do it in everything from Michael Jordan , Hulk Hogan , Pokémon , Garbage Pail kids. Why not Spiderman ? Spiderman is after all probably the most recognized of them all . 

I’ll add that Marvel Masterpieces was not produced at 80 million . The box is marked 350,000. Yes, still very high but if you do the research many will be off center and as a result 10s won’t be easy . A piece of information when looking at the power of card collectors, 1987 fleer which has the Jordan rookie has a print run of 2 million . We all know that didn’t hold back a Jordan PSA 10 from being worth $750,000 when it was 30 K 18 months ago . People collect cards . Some of these people collect superheroes in the card format . I’m not saying cosmic Spiderman from 1990 Marvel Universe Cards is the equivalent of a Michael Jordan rookie but you can certainly understand why a PSA 10 can sell all day in the multiple of thousands. 

I agree these cards have shot up in value very fast . However , there is a  legitimacy to the sales  . Personally  I wouldn’t trade my 1990 Cosmic Spiderman PSA 10 for a NM #98 9.8. Some collectors might but some like me wouldn’t. I’d rather have certain PSA 10 comic cards. 

Don’t be quick to dismiss what is happening here and let’s educate ourselves by looking at it from a non comic book collectors viewpoint . 

Edited by shane1956

Meanwhile I just added another chase autograph card to my NFL Legal Troubles Collection. 

Player?  Greg Robinson

Total price paid?  $3.26

:facepalm: You are a professional sports player.  Why are you calling an uber to carry around 157lbs of weed?   Concentrate on the game, get endorsements, get paid. 

On February 18, 2020, Robinson was jailed in El Paso County, Texas for possession of 156.9 pounds of marijuana. Robinson – who was also with 26-year-old ex-NFL player Quan Bray – was stopped around 7:15 PM on Monday evening after a Border Patrol drug-sniffing dog alerted to the rear cargo door of their 2020 Chevrolet Tahoe. According to the docs, Robinson and Bray were not reentering the country from Mexico – rather they were trying to get from Los Angeles to Louisiana and hit the checkpoint on the way. There was a third person in the SUV, an Uber driver who was not charged. During the stop, Robinson and Bray allegedly tried to get that person to take the fall for the weed. Robinson and Bray are facing up to 20 years in prison, if convicted.

s-l1600.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 12.52.08 PM.png

Edited by Buzzetta

On 2/26/2021 at 10:19 AM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Mars Attacks? MARS ATTACKS? You mentioned that so ... casually! Unopened? :ohnoez:

Maybe because I bought them as a kid. Everybody had them and we would trade around. They aren't like something from King Tut's tomb, they are pretty available just a lot more than I paid for them. Yes, all opened. Who would buy a pack in 1962 and not open them? Probably not in real great shape as we didn't care as kids. I doubt I have a complete set but probably most of them.

About three/four weeks into the card explosion, things have definitely calmed down quite a bit, but pretty much everything is still selling well above what it was selling for just a month or two ago, so it's still good times.

I drove about an hour last week to meet a lady about some cards. Bought her Marvel 1990 and 1992 sets (already sold), but then I went to a Peddlers Mall and bought a few more things, including this set of Colossal Conflicts card from Comic Images 1987, meaning they were issued a full three years before Marvel 1990, MEANING THIS should be Wolverine's "rookie" card, or at least closer to it. Please help me spread the word so that I may sell them upon eBay and use the windfall to retire to private island.

Oddly enough, the set also appears to feature the rookie card of little known Marvel super villain ADOLPH HITLER?! I mean, I realize Hitler showed up in the GA Marvel books, and he was also the original Hate Monger, right? Still, a licensed Marvel trading card of Hitler, that, uh...that hits sorta different these days.

IMG_9447.JPG

IMG_9448.JPG

IMG_9450.JPG

In other card news, huge thanks to @Robot Man for the lovely package that arrived at my house yesterday, full of Vince Coleman goodness! Can't thank you enough. This was like injecting my childhood right into my eyeballs. So many great memories. Thanks so much.

I've tried my best over the years to be a good boardie and pay things forward, but there's no question that I've benefitted from the generosity of the boards far more often than I've been able to repay. Very lucky to be part of such a great community. Thanks again, Bob!

IMG_3123.JPG

Pokémon cards worth estimated $50,000 are plundered from Missouri game store

Sun, February 28, 2021

A Missouri game store says it’s missing thousands of dollars’ worth of Pokémon cards after surveillance video captured two people breaking in earlier this month.

Jerry Lathem has loved trading cards since the mid 1980s, KOLR reported.  He now owns Gamemaster — a game store in Springfield — which touts itself as having “the Midwest’s largest collection of unopened Pokémon and Magic The Gathering Trading Card Games.”

But in the early hours of Feb. 17, Gamemaster’s collection was plundered when two people broke into the store.  It happened around 2 a.m.  “They broke all the glass out (of the door), completely,” Lathem told KOLR. “The top to the bottom. Just completely. Then the two of them, they sat here, and they were banging away at this glass and broke it.”  Surveillance video posted to Facebook shows two people entering the building and walking through the store to a display case.  They stay at the case for nearly a minute before leaving. One person turns around and returns to the case for a moment then books it out the door.

Dyan Westfall, who manages the store, told KY3 that the people responsible appeared to know exactly where they were going.  “We do think it was someone who has been in the store before,” Westfall told the outlet. “You can see they come straight in the door and walk straight to this showcase. Busted the glass out and start grabbing stuff.”

Among the items missing were a Pokemon Base Set Unlimited booster box, an Evolutions booster box, nine EX Sandstorm booster packs, 20 Fossil booster packs, two Roaring Skies booster boxes and a Darkness Ablaze theme deck.  Gamemaster told McClatchy News the missing cards are worth an estimated $50,000.  “It kind of hurts losing something you can’t replace,” Lathem told KOLR.

Store officials filed a police report and are asking customers to keep an eye out for “any large or unusual Pokémon packs floating around.”  Other game stores in the area are also keeping an eye out for any stolen cards that may come through their doors.  James Bates, manager of Meta Games Unlimited in Springfield, said the gaming community rallies around stores that are burglarized.

“It’s a crazy thing, Pokémon cards have had a huge resurgence lately, it is sold out everywhere,” he told KY3. “We typically will have people get us a police report number, and then we keep that on file here if anything suspicious comes through we call and notify them like, ‘Hey, this is in reference to this case.’”

Anyone with information on the incident — or who comes across cards they believe were stolen — is asked to contact the Springfield Police Department at 864-1810, the Ozarks Independent reported.

Edited by Domo Arigato

4 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Pokémon cards worth estimated $50,000 are plundered from Missouri game store

Sun, February 28, 2021

A Missouri game store says it’s missing thousands of dollars’ worth of Pokémon cards after surveillance video captured two people breaking in earlier this month.

Jerry Lathem has loved trading cards since the mid 1980s, KOLR reported.  He now owns Gamemaster — a game store in Springfield — which touts itself as having “the Midwest’s largest collection of unopened Pokémon and Magic The Gathering Trading Card Games.”

But in the early hours of Feb. 17, Gamemaster’s collection was plundered when two people broke into the store.  It happened around 2 a.m.  “They broke all the glass out (of the door), completely,” Lathem told KOLR. “The top to the bottom. Just completely. Then the two of them, they sat here, and they were banging away at this glass and broke it.”  Surveillance video posted to Facebook shows two people entering the building and walking through the store to a display case.  They stay at the case for nearly a minute before leaving. One person turns around and returns to the case for a moment then books it out the door.

Dyan Westfall, who manages the store, told KY3 that the people responsible appeared to know exactly where they were going.  “We do think it was someone who has been in the store before,” Westfall told the outlet. “You can see they come straight in the door and walk straight to this showcase. Busted the glass out and start grabbing stuff.”

Among the items missing were a Pokemon Base Set Unlimited booster box, an Evolutions booster box, nine EX Sandstorm booster packs, 20 Fossil booster packs, two Roaring Skies booster boxes and a Darkness Ablaze theme deck.  Gamemaster told McClatchy News the missing cards are worth an estimated $50,000.  “It kind of hurts losing something you can’t replace,” Lathem told KOLR.

Store officials filed a police report and are asking customers to keep an eye out for “any large or unusual Pokémon packs floating around.”  Other game stores in the area are also keeping an eye out for any stolen cards that may come through their doors.  James Bates, manager of Meta Games Unlimited in Springfield, said the gaming community rallies around stores that are burglarized.

“It’s a crazy thing, Pokémon cards have had a huge resurgence lately, it is sold out everywhere,” he told KY3. “We typically will have people get us a police report number, and then we keep that on file here if anything suspicious comes through we call and notify them like, ‘Hey, this is in reference to this case.’”

Anyone with information on the incident — or who comes across cards they believe were stolen — is asked to contact the Springfield Police Department at 864-1810, the Ozarks Independent reported.

Sad story, but lesson learned. Bragging bodes this type of behavior.