• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Rookie Card sells for big money!
4 4

323 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, F For Fake said:

In other card news, huge thanks to @Robot Man for the lovely package that arrived at my house yesterday, full of Vince Coleman goodness! Can't thank you enough. This was like injecting my childhood right into my eyeballs. So many great memories. Thanks so much.

I've tried my best over the years to be a good boardie and pay things forward, but there's no question that I've benefitted from the generosity of the boards far more often than I've been able to repay. Very lucky to be part of such a great community. Thanks again, Bob!

IMG_3123.JPG

Thanks Brent. @F For FakeGlad you got them safely. Baseball cards were a huge part of my daughter’s childhood. She put in a lot of effort to get one of every card of players she liked at the time. Glad Vince Coleman’s cards ended up with a fan! 

Edited by Robot Man

Figured I'd post this here as well.  Obviously not the card.....but related.

Incredible Hulk #181 in CGC 9.4 grade.

The last two sales for this comic according to GPA were:

On 12-28-2020 for $10,000 (the highest amount for the year)

On 1-16-2021 for $15,600 (the only sale they've recorded this year)

And now the copy that sold yesterday on ComicLink:

Hulk181.jpg.8ef43977b1fca33b9b7bb584a01ecbf0.jpg

26 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Figured I'd post this here as well.  Obviously not the card.....but related.

Incredible Hulk #181 in CGC 9.4 grade.

The last two sales for this comic according to GPA were:

On 12-28-2020 for $10,000 (the highest amount for the year)

On 1-16-2021 for $15,600 (the only sale they've recorded this year)

And now the copy that sold yesterday on ComicLink:

Hulk181.jpg.8ef43977b1fca33b9b7bb584a01ecbf0.jpg

Increased 5K every 2 weeks....

Doubled it’s value in 3 months....

Seems sustainable (shrug)

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

3 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Increased 5K every 2 weeks

Seems sustainable (shrug)

Yeah.....it basically doubled over a couple of months

Sold for $10k in December......and $21k yesterday. 

I bought my perfectly centered 9.4 white page copy back in the early 2000's for about $1,900.

Then I thought I'd made a killing on it when I sold a short time later for about $2,300.:boo:

6 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Yeah.....it basically doubled over a couple of months

Sold for $10k in December......and $21k yesterday. 

I bought my perfectly centered 9.4 white page copy back in the early 2000's for about $1,900.

Then I thought I'd made a killing on it when I sold a short time later for about $2,300.:boo:

I can no longer lament over the books I once had.:tonofbricks:

Craziness!!  Are these cards being pumped up by Reddit??  I feel like this is similar to what's going on with the stock market these days.  The bottom will eventually fall out...unfortunately.

726715cc051c4590ea525dc364eaafaf.jpg

What gets me personally about this is how this has migrated. 

There’s been more than once where the general run-up on comic values as well as specific issues blowing up has caused me to take a step back. 

More than once, what I’ve enjoyed doing in the meantime on my comic break is to pick up non-sports card sets. 

The internet seems to have revealed how common most of these post- ‘77 Star Wars sets are, and in many cases a complete, pack-fresh sets with stickers could be had for very little money.  And I had found a couple of sellers on eBay who specialized in picking wax boxes and making sets. 

I wasn’t getting all PSA 10s, but all I wanted was nice, brand new sets. It was always a refreshing, satisfying change from the competitive insanity in comics. 

I just checked one of those seller and he’s completely cleaned out of anything of that type that was even halfway decent. 

The good news?  I can still get a complete set of Jaws 3 cards for cheap. :p

Edited by Number 6

If "rookie cards" for comics is going to be an actual thing, might be a good time to hunt down that "Collector's Universe" card set from the '90s. I don't know that there were many (or any) hugely popular characters depicted, but in many cases the cards appeared before the comics that featured the characters. Only need one of them to take off.

21 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If "rookie cards" for comics is going to be an actual thing, might be a good time to hunt down that "Collector's Universe" card set from the '90s. I don't know that there were many (or any) hugely popular characters depicted, but in many cases the cards appeared before the comics that featured the characters. Only need one of them to take off.

Do you mean Creators Universe? I still have a few sealed boxes of that left. I pray and pray that they will explode upward into the stupid money stratosphere. 

1 hour ago, Comicshows said:

Do you mean Creators Universe? I still have a few sealed boxes of that left. I pray and pray that they will explode upward into the stupid money stratosphere. 

Yes, that might be it. I think there were a bunch of the Bravura characters in there, amongst many other indies

On 3/2/2021 at 10:38 PM, Number 6 said:

What gets me personally about this is how this has migrated. 

There’s been more than once where the general run-up on comic values as well as specific issues blowing up has caused me to take a step back. 

More than once, what I’ve enjoyed doing in the meantime on my comic break is to pick up non-sports card sets. 

The internet seems to have revealed how common most of these post- ‘77 Star Wars sets are, and in many cases a complete, pack-fresh sets with stickers could be had for very little money.  And I had found a couple of sellers on eBay who specialized in picking wax boxes and making sets. 

I wasn’t getting all PSA 10s, but all I wanted was nice, brand new sets. It was always a refreshing, satisfying change from the competitive insanity in comics. 

I just checked one of those seller and he’s completely cleaned out of anything of that type that was even halfway decent. 

The good news?  I can still get a complete set of Jaws 3 cards for cheap. :p

If the Jaws 3 set includes a "rookie" of Lea Thompson in a bikini, I'm in!

5 hours ago, HotKey said:

Dont forget your batman movie rookie card!

612Tcz9CiIL._AC_SL1087_.jpg

Batman is an Avenger now? This multiverse stuff is getting confusing!

2 hours ago, makeminemarvel said:

Actually the 1966 Topps Batman cards have gone crazy as well.  Especially PSA graded cards of Batman, the #1 card in the set.  Shocking I know.  

I saw some PSA graded cards from this set at an estate sale three or four years ago. I think they sold for about $5. I thought about throwing a bid on them, but, me always being clairvoyant about market trends, I passed as I thought “who would want those graded?” Wise as ever!

4 hours ago, Mephisto said:

PUMP and DUMP baby. Some of the sales were completely fake.

The Black Widow was the same exact seller and same exact card as the serial number on the PSA card was the same ALL 3 times.

7794FD52-A0BB-4AB4-AA29-5E5F8F6BBB07.jpeg

E1280952-2691-4521-99E8-3DA404DC18D1.jpeg

FEE1A7AF-889E-4B68-BC8C-AEFCA596E8DE.jpeg

Thanks for pointing this out. Marvel Masterpieces seem to have dropped in value dramatically over the past month or so....albeit still more valuable than when the spike began.