• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Rookie Card sells for big money!
4 4

323 posts in this topic

I still cannot believe what the promo rookie is going for. 

I took these pics awhile ago and then had the cards locked back up.   When I get a chance I will go visit and get a better pic of the promo rookie. 

IMG_1849.jpeg

9 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I checked that out this morning and just shook my head.  Apparently Boba Fett has a "Rookie Card".

I have news for the geeks.  Derek Jeter has a rookie card.  Tom Brady has a rookie card.  Boba Fett and Deadpool have a "Rookie Card"

I know lol - this is apparently Luke's "rookie" from the OPC set. It's also the first card in the set, and is one of the harder cards to complete, but I have one multiple. I see a few selling in the $100 and change range last month, and that was a big jump from the month prior, and now the BINS are in the $300 and up range.

OPC-Luke1-front.png.6979980f2173ef2d2690b4ce86bfd448.png

I can't even begin to understand this. I wouldn't pay more than a couple bucks for a 1990s card with a picture of the cover of Hulk 181 on it. And since when did non sports figures have "rookie" cards?? Did I step into some kind of bizarro world? 

Maybe I should unload those Topps Rambo cards I have from the 1980s. One of them must be Rambo as a rookie right? Or better yet, I have a VHS tape of First Blood. I can see the sale on ebay now...

@WOW!!!LOOK!!! 1980 VHS tape!!!! FIRST appearance and origin of Rambo!!!! NEVER WATCHED!!!! Unrestored!!!! $10,000 Buy it Now!!!! 

I wish we could tag department leads in certain threads.  This should be a real conversation with the card grading team. 

Once CGC starts grading some of these cards you know they are going to notate the labels.  If they say 'rookie card' or make any indication of 'first appearance' on a card, then CGC as a grading company is going to get laughed at by the rest of the card grading industry. 

Edited by Buzzetta

I cannot even begin to understand what is happening to the collectables market right now. I've read different theories, but I still don't get it. Where is all this money coming from (and where can I get some?)

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I wish we could tag department leads in certain threads.  This should be a real conversation with the card grading team. 

Once CGC starts grading some of these cards you know they are going to notate the labels.  If they say 'rookie card' or make any indication of 'first appearance' on a card, then CGC as a grading company is going to get laughed at by the rest of the card grading industry. 

Agreed. The logic on these being rookie cards or first appearances is baffling. 

That image of the cover of Hulk 181 must have been printed on countless objects over time like t-shirts, stickers, those metal sign looking things people hang on walls, etc. Why would the picture being on a card VS any other random object have any sort of significance whatsoever?  

Sports trading cards are printed at the time the player is a rookie and that's the only true medium to collect the "first appearance" of a human beings sports career. The equivalent of the Hulk card would be if Fleer or whoever printed a card with a picture of Michael Jordan's rookie card on it 16 years after Jordan's actual rookie card came out. Would any person in their right mind pay money for that? 

So comic cards are now falling in line with sportscards and we are calling things 'rookie' cards?   I guess that is on part with sports athletes first appearances in comics (Mantle).  But that doesn't mean I agree with any of this 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THRILLING-TRUE-STORIES-1951-YANKEES-CGC-9-4-MICKEY-MANTLE-ROOKIE-DIMAGGIO-BERRA/274677078470?hash=item3ff40799c6:g:HIoAAOSw2mhf4YBi

10 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

So comic cards are now falling in line with sportscards and we are calling things 'rookie' cards?   I guess that is on part with sports athletes first appearances in comics (Mantle).  But that doesn't mean I agree with any of this 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THRILLING-TRUE-STORIES-1951-YANKEES-CGC-9-4-MICKEY-MANTLE-ROOKIE-DIMAGGIO-BERRA/274677078470?hash=item3ff40799c6:g:HIoAAOSw2mhf4YBi

Yea, and apparently Hulk Hogan's first appearance in comics is a thing too. 

Edited by an99
Spelling