• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Rookie Card sells for big money!
4 4

323 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, comicwiz said:

I posted the O-Pee-Chee (OPC) Luke 1 I've got, that's a multiple, I won't break my set and I'll give some others a go as I'm checking more prices. I also have a few anomalies - the first is an error card that was produced by OPC for the Star Wars trading card set. This was the first series (blue) trading card set from 1977 and the error is on card #57, which shows Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker. The error is a misprinting on the reverse of the card, which should be showing one of the puzzle pieces, but instead shows the backing for what should be card #17. Out of all the sets I've built from an early age, this is the only error card I've ever run across:

error-card-front.jpg.940353195e8ca0018010e35ed5245d35.jpg

error-card-back.jpg.ed6edb34fd6699ee31702bb0ace7bb36.jpg

And then I've got this Topps Star Wars 4th Series Wax Box with a transition "Cantina Scenes", 5th Series white sticker/label on the top and front panels. In the very early print runs, Topps used some of the left over 4th series boxes for its 5th series of Star Wars cards. This is the white sticker which is rarer than the yellow sticker that you see more often. So this one for some unknown reason was stickered with the 5th series white sticker, but contains 4th series wax packs.

SW_wax-transition.thumb.jpg.8ce3aaee32033534458ee455ae9b8fcf.jpg

SW_wax-transition2.thumb.jpg.d63a32cceedd3494560c81b2fdcd676c.jpg

SW_wax-transition3.thumb.jpg.d2ac75cecc81631967fb3ad4f4c8e9c2.jpg

Very cool, I used to open and break these boxes for PSA subbing around 6 to 10 years ago. At one time I had one of the only 4 Vader (Blue Card #7) PSA gem mint 10 cards and had the Han PSA 10. The Vader I would guess be a 15k+ card right now. Lucky I still had some other PSA 9 slabbed cards and have been getting quite a bit. That sticker variant box by the way goes for more than the normal 4th series box.

Another note has some who has opened around 3 of the Green boxes, the infamous X-rated C3PO error card is actually more common than the corrected version.
An average box gets you 1-2 PSA 10 cards and around 10 PSA 9's. A good box can get you 6+ PSA 10's a bad box can get you zero 10's and only a few PSA 9's. Stickers are harder has you quite often get zero subs because of the gum stains and machine track marks. You get around 2-3 error cards in a box and 1 corrected. Sometimes more.

The PSA odds tends to be close to the same in many ways to the Topps 1979 Alien set as well which I am still No. 1 in the PSA registry on. 

O-Pee-Chee cards tend to go for more than the American based cards like a few other foreign sets, however things are a little crazy right now as new collectors pouring in aren't familiar with the hobby and are making irrational purchases. You will see the population go super nova with Wonder Bread shortly as those could be purchased in high grade sets. 

A lot of people here also many not understand how important centering is in card grading. A lot of people might think they have a lot of "mint" condition cards but in fact have mostly off-centered cards with slight wrinkles and small blunted corners only seen with a mag. glass. Only very few cards in a box including 1990's marvel will get you PSA 10's. And most of those come out of fresh box breaks. What may look PSA 9 or 10 on e-bay will often be in fact PSA 6 or 7's.

One other note, I've seen a few highly questionable "record" sales coming from some of the usual suspects, so beware. 

Edited by Rip

I watched a video last night where they showed one investor earlier in the week had bought every box of Marvel Universe 1990 for 3.5K and under, wiping ebay clean in a matter of 15 minutes.
1 box went as high as 6K. Now the price has dropped a bit sometimes under 2K.

26 minutes ago, Rip said:

Very cool, I used to open and break these boxes for PSA subbing around 6 to 10 years ago. At one time I had one of the only 4 Vader (Blue Card #7) PSA gem mint 10 cards and had the Han PSA 10. The Vader I would guess be a 15k+ card right now. Lucky I still had some other PSA 9 slabbed cards and have been getting quite a bit. That sticker variant box by the way goes for more than the normal 4th series box.

Another note has some who has opened around 3 of the Green boxes, the infamous X-rated C3PO error card is actually more common than the corrected version.
An average box gets you 1-2 PSA 10 cards and around 10 PSA 9's. A good box can get you 6+ PSA 10's a bad box can get you zero 10's and only a few PSA 9's. Stickers are harder has you quite often get zero subs because of the gum stains and machine track marks. You get around 2-3 error cards in a box and 1 corrected.

The PSA odds tends to be close to the same in many ways to the Topps 1979 Alien set as well which I am still No. 1 in the PSA registry on. 

O-Pee-Chee cards tend to go for more than the American based cards like a few other foreign sets, however things are a little crazy right now as new collectors pouring in aren't familiar with the hobby and are making irrational purchases. You will see the population go super nova with Wonder Bread shortly as those could be purchased in high grade sets. 

A lot of people here also many not understand how important centering is in card grading. A lot of people might think they have a lot of "mint" condition cards but in fact have mostly off-centered cards with slight wrinkles and small blunted corners only seen with a mag. glass. Only very few cards in a box including 1990's marvel will get you PSA 10's. And most of those come out of fresh box breaks. What may look PSA 9 or 10 on e-bay will often be in fact PSA 6 or 7's.

The pops between topps and opc really tell the story - I saw like near 5000 10's (from an April pop report) for topps and only 52 for opc. Which is really around the 1/10 yardstick usually used between Canadian and US counterpart runs. I actually believe the OPC Star Wars, particularly the first series, had a lower print run than 10% of the Topps, and I'm not the only one who believes this. Anyhow, I wonder how those X-Factors with the Deadpool trading card will do in all this - I checked from my pile of about 20 sealed bags, only 2 were deadpool. I've seen those sell all over the place, and it being touted as the promo/rookie, which is kind of bizarre, but for some reason the more you see it being used, the more you climatize to it lol

I might need one of you to call for a search team if my posts on cards start to outnumber my posts on toys and comics :facepalm:

8 minutes ago, Rip said:

I watched a video last night where they showed one investor earlier in the week had bought every box of Marvel Universe 1990 for 3.5K and under, wiping ebay clean in a matter of 15 minutes.
1 box went as high as 6K. Now the price has dropped a bit sometimes under 2K.

Do you have a link handy?

That sounds close on OPC. Unopened boxes historically go for more and the production cuts and centering are worse. So you have fewer PSA 9 and 10 candidates. 
The Deadpool population will go way up and PSA will make bank, but they are backlogged and months behind. I would sell any X-Force comic with a slightly non centered Deadpool inside ASAP.
As that should be easy to tell without looking too close.

A lot of people will also be disappointed as they will find PSA 9's and 10's are not easy to come by. Its going to take a lot of pure luck to get that 10 card.

8 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Do you have a link handy?

NE OHIO sports cards on YouTube I believe. Also looking at past sales on E-bay especially 5 days ago on the 8th.

Edited by Rip

I'm also seeing a major price jump on Marvel Masterpieces. I happen to be lucky and have some unopened boxes and a tin. But this is making its way down to many other 1990's Marvel card boxes as well. I'm far too afraid to open these.

Edited by Rip

16 minutes ago, Rip said:

That sounds close on OPC. Unopened boxes historically go for more and the production cuts and centering are worse. So you have fewer PSA 9 and 10 candidates. 
The Deadpool population will go way up and PSA will make bank, but they are backlogged and months behind. I would sell any X-Force comic with a slightly non centered Deadpool inside ASAP.
As that should be easy to tell without looking too close.

A lot of people will also be disappointed as they will find PSA 9's and 10's are not easy to come by. Its going to take a lot of pure luck to get that 10 card.

That's a tough card by design really because if you get any closer to try to center, it will look off because the edge is getting too close to the X

image.png.47150deeb65e912969bf7dd73fea9ee8.png

13 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Andrew bought some cards tonight that no one is paying attention to... :whistle:

Cheap too !!! 

Back when I started this little trading card odyssey in the fall, I filled up my eBay cart with boxes of stuff I thought I'd get around. It was crazy, sealed boxes of all sorts of DC series, Vertigo, etc for $15-20 a box. Tons of them available.

Checking my cart now, nearly all of that stuff is sold, and the few that are remaining are now asking $100+ per box.

I reaaaaaaaally should have jumped when I had the idea.

The thing about the "rookie card" is that in a lot of instances, the 1990 Marvel set really ISN'T the "rookie card" for the character. I thought it would be a good idea to get some of these "rookies", and the earliest Wolverine card I could find was from a Comic Images set, years before Impel 1990. And most of the classic Marvel characters were released on sticker cards in the 70's. I'm sure there are a few true first appearance/rookies in Marvel 1990, but not nearly as many as people are being lead to believe.

1 hour ago, Rip said:

As an Alien collector, I have a couple of loose/complete sets of the Alien series, but it would have never occurred to me to have them graded. I really don't know much about grading for cards, but is there a lot of competition for this series. I've seen a few graded examples on eBay, but wasn't sure what prices should look like. 

That ain't bad. On something like this I compare to an already graded PSA 10 for reference. Get a mag glass out and look at the corners, also shine light on it to check for creases. Futhermore PSA looks at centering on BOTH sides. I'm not sure how the Marvel cards were made but on Star Wars and older cards the centering may be great on the front but terrible on the back side.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Marvel-Universe-DEADPOOL-3-X-FORCE-PSA-10-GEM-MINT-FIRST-ROOKIE-CARD-/233888049246?hash=item3674d0685e%3Ag%3AmUEAAOSw6FpgIGfk&nma=true&si=BpxyKj3yx7JKUClQFZLaeQSwjpc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Just now, Broke as a Joke said:

I think this comic card stuff is nuts.  However, might as well sell this crud while the iron is hot.  

Spawn rookie card.  The one that came polybagged with Wizard 11.  Sell, sell, sell!!!

I just pulled one of those out last night LOL!

6 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I think this comic card stuff is nuts.  However, might as well sell this crud while the iron is hot.  

Spawn rookie card.  The one that came polybagged with Wizard 11.  Sell, sell, sell!!!

Am I rich?:wishluck:

DE883D81-EE83-4438-8A9A-4C2C8C257B9D.jpeg

2192A40B-A71B-4855-A16C-0C4F4317CF75.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

11 minutes ago, Rip said:

That ain't bad. On something like this I compare to an already graded PSA 10 for reference. Get a mag glass out and look at the corners, also shine light on it to check for creases. Futhermore PSA looks at centering on BOTH sides. I'm not sure how the Marvel cards were made but on Star Wars and older cards the centering may be great on the front but terrible on the back side.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Marvel-Universe-DEADPOOL-3-X-FORCE-PSA-10-GEM-MINT-FIRST-ROOKIE-CARD-/233888049246?hash=item3674d0685e%3Ag%3AmUEAAOSw6FpgIGfk&nma=true&si=BpxyKj3yx7JKUClQFZLaeQSwjpc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

what do you think about this one?

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The only one that I have with potential is the Wizard #3 Fairchild Promo card...... :wishluck: 

I have some uncut 4 square cards, but I think that those came from comics or some such so idk

IMG_20210213_115645749.jpgIMG_20210213_115630815.jpg

IMG_20210213_115621125.jpgIMG_20210213_115612946.jpg

IMG_20210213_115602027.jpgIMG_20210213_115549473.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM